autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

In need of some advice

Hey guys,

So for the past 4 summers I have been doing mobile detailing while I've been in school. I started with a bike and trailer and have now upgraded to a car. Awhile back I decided to go waterless, it just seemed easier. I also went powerless with a battery dyson vacuum. Last year I got turned down a lot because I didnt do steam or carpet cleaning. Any thoughts?

Also, when the car is too hot I cant get the windows to look any good and its deterring a lot of customers. Any ways that I can keep the body of the car as well as the windows cool so I can give them a good cleaning?

I want to reach more people this summer but Im not sure what the best way is. I usually put flyers on doors of the big rich neighborhoods in my area and have not seen the results that I want.

I really need some help and I realize that I'm a novice at this! Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: In need of some advice

Sounds like you need an EZ up at the least. That will solve a ton of your problems. Check craiglist im sure you can find one for $20-$50. For carpet cleaning pick up a bissle little green machine or look for a decent cheap steamer. You dont need the biggest baddest most expensive equipment when starting out. You could prob clean a filthy interior with a tooth brush and vinegar with confidence and know how. It obviously would take you forever but it could be done.

Btw i give you props for starting out on your bike.

Post Thanks / Like

I admire your 'go-gettedness' if that makes sense.

Couple questions:

1. Why are you powerless? (Don't want to use client's power?)

2. Why is the heat interfering with getting the windows clean?

IMHO, you have got to shampoo interiors, etc. Try to learn by watching youtube videos and cleaning your own vehicle. Get a Wagner steamer for around $99. Be careful as you can discolor plastic interior pieces by holding the steamer in one spot too long.

Use Stoner's InvisibleGlass for windows. Spray and wipe with microfiber towel. Repeat as necessary.
    davinciautodetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have gone powerless mainly because its easier and I have the ability to detail a car basically anywhere and I think that gives me an edge against my competition.

The Windows, Im not sure. I always do them last and by the time that I get to them there so hot that the windowns end up streaking really bad. I use a Cobra waffle towel and Invisible Glass and it always leaves steaks when the temp is 90 degrees and up.

Im hesitant doing too many things and overwhelming the customer.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing i might add about the window streaking is this. Is the MF towel you are using clean? Im a smoker so when i do the interior windows it will leave streaks unless i use at the very least 2 MF towels. I got tired of having to wash my MF towel before each use so i just use paper towels now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've found that stoners hasn't always wiped clean for me. I switched to Megs NXT window cleaner and had better results using same process. And it smells better (kinda sweet and not like chemicals) which makes it nicer when it lingers on the interior.