autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying to start a mobile detail business need opinions

So this may be a little lengthy so those who read it through i would like to thank you now.

So a little about me. Im 27 Caucasian male who grew up in southern ca where if you want to do anything its cut throat. I now live in Northern NV right in the middle of Reno and Carson city and 30 min from Lake Tahoe. Since I was a little kid ive had a passion for cars/trucks and i mean a REAL passion. As i got older I knew that what ever i do in life it will most likely involve cars or trucks. More specificly something that alters the appearence of cars/trucks. In my opinion nothing is more altering to the image of a vheicle then going from oxidized headlights and paint to making that thing shine better then when it rolled off the assembly line. Now doing this to my own truck i felt a huge sence of reward when i could stand back and go wow and an even bigger sence of gratification when others noticed it. Now ive been detaling my own vheicles since i was 16 and got my first car and used autozone products and didnt know there was anything other then a wool pad on a rotory buffer lol. But that was 11 years ago and ive learned a ton since then and even more after joining this site. But even then when i was 16 I quickly realized i had a skill that not my people did. One of my strong points is and has been my eye for detail as well as the my ability to learn quickly as well as my passion for vheicles. Well when i first joined this site it was more to hone my abilities which it did thanks to all of you. What i didnt expect was for a light bulb to go off. After learning new things and getting countless comments in regards to how amazing ive made my truck or friends and family memebers cars and trucks that i could potentially turn my abilities into money in my pocket and enjoy doing it. Any way i realize im kinda dragging this out and its not that important. I wanted to just point the above things out to get a better judgement and possibly strengthen your opinions.

With everything stated above here is what i have to say. I have a strong desire to turn what i know into a mobile detail business. Here are some of my concerns that id like some comments on.

1. My location: As stated above I live in Northern NV. There are far fewer Range Rovers, Lambos, Porsches, and BMWs as there are in Orange County where I spent 26 of my 27 years on earth. I feel that with my location it would be hard to tell some one that its going to cost them $400+ to remove all their swirls or what have you or even 50-90 for a wash and wax + interior when their mentality is most likely "why would i pay that when i could drive it through a shell or cheveron car wash for $8?" Have any of you found that this is quite the opposite?

2. The mobile detailers out here. There are only 2 credible detailers out here VIP mobile detailing and High sierra mobile detailing. Two companies surely cant be running the entire demographics out here. So i wonder if the reason there are so few is because there isn't really a demand out here.

3. Tools: I have a DA a Rotary and an arsenal of products as well as my knowledge. This in my opinion does not mean that every one out there with this little bit of tools is now qualified to be a mobile detailer including my self. I don't have a water tank a trailer a carpet extractor and my pressure washer is quite frankly pitiful. Have any of you started with this little bit and grew your company off that or should i wait till i have the capitol to buy a used rig that has all the parts? Also if you have started this little bit have you ever had a customer think your less professional because you have to essentially use their hose or was that never an issue?

Those are basically the three things from stopping me at this point. What Ive done so far is Ive bought my domain name and started building my website which ill say im about 70% done with. Ive attended a SCORE meeting and attained a mentor through them. Ive contacted a few insurance companies and got quotes as well as filled out my DBA papers. My parents corporate attorney has said when im ready he will help me out. Ive read "How to start a home based detailing business" which was really insightful. I haven't yet created a business plan though. I figured if i get this off the ground ill work alone handle my own accounting marketing and inventory. I understand that with any business its an uphill battle and there will be a ton of hurtles my way. I would say i have the mind set to run a company i definitely have the drive but its my confidence that's lacking a little bit at this moment due to fear of failing or starting this and taking it no where.

Any way if you have any opinions on my 3 concers or hell just some insight id greatly appreciate it and thank you for taking the time to read this.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trying to start a mobile detail business need opinions

1. The people that don't want to pay anything more than $8 to have their car wash are not your market. Don't worry or try to cater to people who are not interested in what you offer.

2. The reason there are so few mobile detailers compared to shops is because it is less production oriented. Anyone can start a swirl shop at a fixed location and do $79 specials, it takes a business mindset and the goal of building a high end clientele to be successful long term mobile.

3. No, you don't need a huge rig to start out. I've got an article on this forum somewhere about a $500 mobile detail startup. People don't care about what equipment or chemicals you use, people don't care if you use their water or power. They care that you look professional, act professional, and do good work.

4. Get your business plan going. It is literally the road map to where you want your business to go. Do not neglect the business side here. Detailing is fun and very rewarding, but lets remember that you are starting a detailing business here.

5. Fear of failing... lets just say that you can't be any less of a detailing business owner than you are if you never start one. No risk, no reward. The best thing you can do to set yourself up for success is to have all your ducks in a row prior to getting started, then literally work your tail off until you achieve your goals.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for your response. I remember reading that $500 start up business you wrote but that was a long time ago. Now that im more serious and focused im going to read it again.

Part of my problem is even though i am going to be 30 in a few years and know how to conduct my self when working with people as far as being professional I look like im 19 years old. With that said in my mind if i showed up asking "wheres your hose" they might ask me if i mow lawns too type of thing. Like ill look like a kid just trying to make some money to take my girl friend to the movies you know what i mean. idk maybe i just think to much. Youre right thought i should just do it and stop thinking about it.

Post Thanks / Like

It's all in the way you present yourself. Instead of asking "Where's your hose?" Say "I am going to need access to your water outlet and electricity.". People don't care about your age, they care about your professionalism and how you present yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brondondolon View Post
    1. My location: As stated above I live in Northern NV. There are far fewer Range Rovers, Lambos, Porsches, and BMWs as there are in Orange County where I spent 26 of my 27 years on earth. I feel that with my location it would be hard to tell some one that its going to cost them $400+ to remove all their swirls or what have you or even 50-90 for a wash and wax + interior when their mentality is most likely "why would i pay that when i could drive it through a shell or cheveron car wash for $8?" Have any of you found that this is quite the opposite?

2. The mobile detailers out here. There are only 2 credible detailers out here VIP mobile detailing and High sierra mobile detailing. Two companies surely cant be running the entire demographics out here. So i wonder if the reason there are so few is because there isn't really a demand out here.

3. Tools: I have a DA a Rotary and an arsenal of products as well as my knowledge. This in my opinion does not mean that every one out there with this little bit of tools is now qualified to be a mobile detailer including my self. I don't have a water tank a trailer a carpet extractor and my pressure washer is quite frankly pitiful. Have any of you started with this little bit and grew your company off that or should i wait till i have the capitol to buy a used rig that has all the parts? Also if you have started this little bit have you ever had a customer think your less professional because you have to essentially use their hose or was that never an issue?
    2. they sure dont. marketing, advertising, and networking... oh, and quality workmanship

3. a loooootttttt of people have started off like that and continue to use customers power/water. you dont need a water tank/pressure washer/water pump.. to messy and takes up times, and if your county requires you to reclaim the water and properly dispose of it, that's more of a headache. You'll still need to foam/rinse/wash on occasion, but not evveerryyy single time.
    just to name a few who have/do use customers water/power: scottwax, autolavish, proreflection (first 2 years)
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Post Thanks / Like

First, thanks for sharing your story. I think it's great that you realized your passion for cars and want to have a job that allows you to be around them, improve them, etc.

I concur w/ everything VP Mark stated. Just get out there, do it, learn it and above all do a great job and leave the client happy.

As for worrying about how you're perceived, just be clean, professional in your appearance, (I wear a polo shirt when I work, not a t-shirt), and come with a sense of helping the client solve his/her 'problem'.

Good luck.
    davinciautodetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses guys. I worked on my website a little more last night and tried to figure a few things out. As far as a carpet cleaner what have you guys done in the beginning before you had a mytee or something similar?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses guys. I worked on my website a little more last night and tried to figure a few things out. As far as a carpet cleaner what have you guys done in the beginning before you had a mytee or something similar?
    Cyclo Polisher Brushes turn your Cyclo Orbital Polisher
    wet vac or LGM =Bissell Little Green Machine
    use brush connected to cordless drill then LGM
    I have two carpet brushes with velco backing that I can hook to my DA then use LGM

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a cheap steamer, attach a microfiber to the triangle tool. I still do this to this day instead of using my Mytee lite all the time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

I started a mobile detailing business part time with a small truck and a trailer I built myself, well, I bought the trailer part, but I did the set up of equipment. I had a pressure washer, hose reel, generator and 100 gallon tank. The trailer had high sides, so you could just see the top of the tank. I had the back part set up as a pull out tail gate so that I could cover everything up. The high sides allowed me to put just about everything in the back and also had a place for signage.
    I started part time. I had a part time job that was steady and allowed me to work longer hours if it was raining or bad weather and I did my mobile after that job each day until demand was so high that I went full time.
    The beauty of mobile is the clients that have multiple vehicles. You can stay at one home for time and knock out numerous cars. I did not do too many details, I did more washes and waxes, but I had a good client base that kept me busy.

HUMP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast