autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One step pain

Post Thanks / Like

One step pain

So last night I performed a One-Step Detail for a family members BLACK repainted Nissan Altima. Needless to say it wasn't fun and took about 8-9 hours total. I'm a student and started the project after class (around 2 PM) and ended closer to 10. I'm in Connecticut so about half of the polishing stage was in the dark with a construction light. I'm used to detailing during peak of sunlight and don't do many one step details during the fall aside from maintenance reapplication of wax. Also, i only achieved maybe 60% correction. Now my question is, How can I be more efficient and work quicker. The service I performed was:
    -Wash with 2 Bucket method, applied foam with Gilmore Foam gun
    -Clayed the car before doing a final rinse (thorough foam reapplications for lube)
    -Dried "blade" and leaf blower
    -Menzerna PF2500 on WHITE 6.5" LC Pad speed 6 PC 7424 (about 4-6 passes per section), 3" pads on bumper and thin panels.
    -Waxed with Collonite, bumpers and side skirts Mothers Reflections Cleaner waxed followed by Collonite.
    -Exterior plastics dressed with Mothers Back to Black
    -Interior wipe down + protection
    -Vacuum, washed weather mats
    After all this I was questioning whether I charged enough, $100, but also received a 25$ tip. What would you guys charge for this and how would you make this more of a "production detail". I'm upgrading to 5" pads after this job. But how would some of you veterans treat a job like this? Looking for any advice I can get to be more professional and efficient.
    It's never too late to learn a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: One step pain

I think for most people here $100 would be an express exterior detail (no step or AIO). You gave them 60% correction plus a partial interior for $100, somebody got a pretty good deal, and it wasn't you.

An AIO would speed things up but you won't get the same kind of correction unless it's really soft paint.

Using a clay alternative (speedy prep or nanoskin) will also save you some time and effort.

If I'm reading this right, you also used a medium polish, cleaner wax then collonite on the bumpers. You did 3 steps instead of an AIO or polish+collonite. Most time wasted right there.

I will usually only partially dry the car, then clay it. Any small amount of remaining water is picked up when claying. Time and effort saver.

Post Thanks / Like

You are a good man my friend. My one step polish package start at $475 but before going crazy raising your prices, there are a few factors to consider.

1) The first is age. You said you are in school but did not mention if it is highschool or college
    2) You did not mention the experience level you have (amateur or master detailer)
    3) You did not mention if you are running a legitimate business (with insurance, GL, taxes etc...)

All those things do have to be factored in when you are charging. There is also the 4 Cs to consider in pricing

1) The Car: Altima (medium size car)
    2) The Color: Black (a lot less forgiving than other color)
    3) The Care Selected: One step compound package
    4) The Condition of the car: Repainted (hopefully a lot of material to work with)

I do guarantee 50-70% improvements on a one-step but normally exceed those percentage. I am very familiar with the PF2500 (my one step go-to) and unless the paint was super soft, I would have gone with a LC flat Orange pad, which could have sped up with your process and still finishes very well (with the right finishing techniques)

A veteran treats the job the following way:
    1) A thorough evaluation of the goals of the customer
    2) A simple education session on what it will take to get it done (all broken down process) and the associated time and costs. Most people don't understand that it will take 10-15hrs so they figure a final cost in their head without a complete understanding. If you tell them right off the bat that you will have about 10-15hrs invested and that you charge $25-$45-?? an hour then they won't be surprise after the fact and can make a much better informed decision
    3) After you have an agreed price (and for customer marketing), you can discuss a friend and family discount or return customer discount or whatever makes them happy.
    4) A final review of the goals and expectation
    5) Do the work!!
    6) Review the results with them making them see, feel, smell etc.. to give them the full experience
    7) Get paid!!
    8) Review the proper maintenance and offer to sell them all the stuff to take care of of their car, or offer them a maintenance package!

Don't forget to take before and after pictures and show them!!! This is where an FB page, iPhone or iPad becomes a valuable asset

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post
    You are a good man my friend. My one step polish package start at $475 but before going crazy raising your prices, there are a few factors to consider.

1) The first is age. You said you are in school but did not mention if it is highschool or college
    2) You did not mention the experience level you have (amateur or master detailer)
    3) You did not mention if you are running a legitimate business (with insurance, GL, taxes etc...)

All those things do have to be factored in when you are charging. There is also the 4 Cs to consider in pricing

4) The Condition of the car: Repainted (hopefully a lot of material to work with)

I do guarantee 50-70% improvements on a one-step but normally exceed those percentage. I am very familiar with the PF2500 (my one step go-to) and unless the paint was super soft, I would have gone with a LC flat Orange pad, which could have sped up with your process and still finishes very well (with the right finishing techniques)

2) A simple education session on what it will take to get it done (all broken down process) and the associated time and costs. Most people don't understand that it will take 10-15hrs so they figure a final cost in their head without a complete understanding. If you tell them right off the bat that you will have about 10-15hrs invested and that you charge $25-$45-?? an hour then they won't be surprise after the fact and can make a much better informed decision
    3) After you have an agreed price (and for customer marketing), you can discuss a friend and family discount or return customer discount or whatever makes them happy.
    5) Do the work!!
    6) Review the results with them making them see, feel, smell etc.. to give them the full experience
    7) Get paid!!
    8) Review the proper maintenance and offer to sell them all the stuff to take care of of their car, or offer them a maintenance package!

Don't forget to take before and after pictures and show them!!! This is where an FB page, iPhone or iPad becomes a valuable asset

Post Thanks / Like

5) Do the work!!
    7) Get paid!!

I sir am I Junior in college, I've been in the detailing game for just about 4 years. Although not a "legitimate" business, it's my main source of income now after picking it over my bank telling position. I've been in it long enough to do some sucessful high end details on my own cars. This includes 2 step 90/95% 2 step paint corrections that where for myself.
    My problem is I fear presenting high prices to clients since I live off this I rather have the $100 then nothing from a denied 300$ job. Since my regular details are about 80/100 for a 3 hour wash and wax with an AIO, I panic when I get a polishing job, So I thank you Dr.Pain for the outline. I will print this out and refer to it as a pricing guideline!
    As far as social media/work documentation, I have had a facebook with some what that I forgot to detail up until now when upscale clients have asked me for my portfolio. I kick myself non stop for not documenting the close to 50 cars I've done in the past 4 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    I think for most people here $100 would be an express exterior detail (no step or AIO). You gave them 60% correction plus a partial interior for $100, somebody got a pretty good deal, and it wasn't you.

An AIO would speed things up but you won't get the same kind of correction unless it's really soft paint.

Using a clay alternative (speedy prep or nanoskin) will also save you some time and effort.

If I'm reading this right, you also used a medium polish, cleaner wax then collonite on the bumpers. You did 3 steps instead of an AIO or polish+collonite. Most time wasted right there.

I will usually only partially dry the car, then clay it. Any small amount of remaining water is picked up when claying. Time and effort saver.
    I've never even heard of a clay alternative aside from Iron X, but I will surely be checking this out! Thanks for the advice!!

Post Thanks / Like

5) Do the work!!
    7) Get paid!!

Excellent information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdubski View Post
    I sir am I Junior in college, I've been in the detailing game for just about 4 years. Although not a "legitimate" business, it's my main source of income now after picking it over my bank telling position. I've been in it long enough to do some sucessful high end details on my own cars. This includes 2 step 90/95% 2 step paint corrections that where for myself.
    My problem is I fear presenting high prices to clients since I live off this I rather have the $100 then nothing from a denied 300$ job. Since my regular details are about 80/100 for a 3 hour wash and wax with an AIO, I panic when I get a polishing job, So I thank you Dr.Pain for the outline. I will print this out and refer to it as a pricing guideline!
    As far as social media/work documentation, I have had a facebook with some what that I forgot to detail up until now when upscale clients have asked me for my portfolio. I kick myself non stop for not documenting the close to 50 cars I've done in the past 4 years.
    Being that you are not an absolute novice I would say that $20-$25/hr should be an absolute minimum. So having that in mind and understanding the goals of your clients, you have to set a reasonable expectation and an appropriate cost basis associated with the time and material you need to do the work.

If you are Ok roughing it out going all OCD for 10-12 hrs straight for the equivalency of $8-$10/hour (net in your pocket), then who am I to judge..... but don't forget that you are setting a precedent for yourself which will follow you for a long time. People will not only talk about the quality of the work you do but will also talk about the price charged for the work you did for them (when they refer you someone). Those referred client will in turn "expect" the same quality for the same LOW LOW price.

My regular wash/clay/wax package on a medium size car is $155 period. If they have a stricter budget (or don't understand about the clay process) I may sell them a wash and wax for $75 and throw in the clay just because I am a good guy (or if I need to train someone), but I do make a point to let them experience the smooth surface and discuss the surface bonded contamination etc.... it is then much easier for them to leave knowing that they will have to repeat the process (and already know the cost associated.... but also know and understand and have felt and saw the benefits)

The better educated your clients are, the more profitable and successful you will be. I do understand the concerns you have at "providing for yourself" (although this is not a primary income for me), but would you rather chase and do 5 cars for the price you should get doing just 1?? I guarantee you that you will increase your longevity and happiness with detailing if you are paid what you know you should be paid.... period!

Quote Originally Posted by kdubski View Post
    I've never even heard of a clay alternative aside from Iron X, but I will surely be checking this out! Thanks for the advice!!
    Since discovering the Prep Towel and the Nanoskin mitts.... I rarely use a clay bar. In terms of time saving I probably cut down my claying time by 30-40%.... great time saver!

Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

For the work you said you did, I would've charged a customer $300, since it was a 1-step and you did interior...

but for your family... "After all this I was questioning whether I charged enough, $100, but also received a 25$ tip"

I do this reguarly for my family members and family friends for free, let getting $100 and wondering if it is enough...I personally couldn't accept money at all, and they usually just treat me to eat or something and it doesn't even cross my mind

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ArkayoDeetayo View Post
    For the work you said you did, I would've charged a customer $300, since it was a 1-step and you did interior...

but for your family... "After all this I was questioning whether I charged enough, $100, but also received a 25$ tip"

I do this reguarly for my family members and family friends for free, let getting $100 and wondering if it is enough...I personally couldn't accept money at all, and they usually just treat me to eat or something and it doesn't even cross my mind
    Great point! and I do condone the practice of offering friend and family discount. I would however suggest to practice your communication/salesmanship/bargaining/education skills on those loved one. Treat them just like a customer and then throw in the discount with a nice little wink wink!

I detailed my best's friend's Cadillac and he know what I do and what I charge, and I simply told him to pay me $1 over product cost. He did just that and gave me a $200 tip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast