autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pricing a Detail

I know the more established detailers can price an hourly rate. I do this more as a hobby, but I've recently been getting the large high performance boats in. Not sure how to quote these guys as its such a massive project. Has any quoted as a per foot basis? How else would you be able to quantify a quote if not hourly? For instance, my thought process was $25/foot. So 37 foot speedboat, each hullside 37ft x 2= 74. Add the deck, minus the cockpit (rough guess) 30ft... so 104ft @ $25 per foot is $2,600 for compound finishing polish and a sealant. I was trying to think how long it would take me to wash, clay, IPA,compound, IPA, polish, IPA, and wax 1ft x 3ft of boat. and I think I can do 6sqft an hour, which equates for about $50 per hour. Does this sound reasonable?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pricing a Detail

If that's what you feel your time is worth one thing I've learned is you can for the most part charge whatever you want if you are confident in your work. Not saying that you should go ahead and charge $100 a foot lol but you sound like you've got it down and it sounds reasonable. If someone has the money to fuel or own a 37ft speed boat I don't see it being an issue to pay that amount or more for a complete detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HighAngleHell View Post
    If that's what you feel your time is worth one thing I've learned is you can for the most part charge whatever you want if you are confident in your work. Not saying that you should go ahead and charge $100 a foot lol but you sound like you've got it down and it sounds reasonable. If someone has the money to fuel or own a 37ft speed boat I don't see it being an issue to pay that amount or more for a complete detail.
    I'm very confident in my work. Im also confident if I have an issue I have the correct forum or outlet (AG or my detailing buddy PureShine). I originally looked at the boat and told the guy its a huge job, $4-5k (extremly informally, never thought he say this...) and he said "OK TAKE IT! I just want the swirls gone!!" I had a long drive home and I was roughing it out in my head (Im an accountant, we tend to do these things) and I thought my original quote was way too much. I'm trying to legitimize a quote to where I feel comfortable about doing a job at a fair price, even if the customer is willing to pay me.

This is the same model boat. For a size relation.

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/resi...=1307868946000

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercraft241 View Post
    I know the more established detailers can price an hourly rate. I do this more as a hobby, but I've recently been getting the large high performance boats in. Not sure how to quote these guys as its such a massive project. Has any quoted as a per foot basis? How else would you be able to quantify a quote if not hourly? For instance, my thought process was $25/foot. So 37 foot speedboat, each hullside 37ft x 2= 74. Add the deck, minus the cockpit (rough guess) 30ft... so 104ft @ $25 per foot is $2,600 for compound finishing polish and a sealant. I was trying to think how long it would take me to wash, clay, IPA,compound, IPA, polish, IPA, and wax 1ft x 3ft of boat. and I think I can do 6sqft an hour, which equates for about $50 per hour. Does this sound reasonable?
    blacksmagicdetailing.com
    Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as if working for the Lord, not man. Colossians 3:23

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Black's Magic View Post
    Where are you located?
    Long Island

Post Thanks / Like

I would say decide what you want an hour, and just start going and keep track of your time. If you come out to less then you quoted him, then just charge him that amount. On the other hand he must not think he is being ripped off if he agreed to that price right away, so i wouldn't worry about just charging what you quoted either.

Post Thanks / Like

If they agreed to your quote and you finished early then you made more money. If I finish early on a job I don't drop my price ever if they turn in to a repeat customer I'll give them a 10% off their next detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Every time I reduced my price on a job because I felt it was too high (despite the customer agreeing to it) I ended up regretting it. I did so thinking referrals from being the good guy would come my way in addition to the sense of almost guilt since I would never pay that much for a service myself. I never got any referrals (from that point) and ended up making half the profit I could have for providing the same level of service.

Do the job better than you've ever done another and keep track of time and expenses. If in the end, you still think you're a tiny bit high, include a follow up maintenance service "free of charge" to get your face back in his mind. It is here that the referrals will come.
    Brandon--Custom Cleaning Concepts, LLC
    If you want your ride as clean as can be, you need to call CCC!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    If they agreed to your quote and you finished early then you made more money. If I finish early on a job I don't drop my price ever if they turn in to a repeat customer I'll give them a 10% off their next detail.
    This is an excellent idea. Todd always leading me down the right path!!

Quote Originally Posted by CCC4me View Post
    Every time I reduced my price on a job because I felt it was too high (despite the customer agreeing to it) I ended up regretting it. I did so thinking referrals from being the good guy would come my way in addition to the sense of almost guilt since I would never pay that much for a service myself. I never got any referrals (from that point) and ended up making half the profit I could have for providing the same level of service.

Do the job better than you've ever done another and keep track of time and expenses. If in the end, you still think you're a tiny bit high, include a follow up maintenance service "free of charge" to get your face back in his mind. It is here that the referrals will come.
    Also a great idea. I may also keep it the same, but provide him with a "scratch free detailing package" consisting of a DP foam gun, boars hair brush, some ONR, a 12 pack of chemical guys microfiber, 2 5 gallon buckets with grit guards, and some Miguiars Quick Sythetic Wax. It'll probably run me $200, and im sure he'll be much happier receiving a gift with his brand new boat back.

Post Thanks / Like

Where in Long Island are you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast