autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Approaching People / Businesses

Good Afternoon AG's,

This question has been running around in my head for a while now and I figured now was good as any to ask.

I know that word of mouth, google adwords, and my social media accounts have all helped to drive business, but every now and then I see a few cars I'd love to detail. So much so, I'm halfway tempted to simply walk up to them and start a conversation or approach the business in which they're all parked out front of...

Cause In Point:
    Almost every nice day, I see an individual driving a new Ferrari 458. I'm halfway tempted to follow this individual either to what I assume is his business or home.

A local restaurant has valet parking out front, but the very exclusive vehicles remain out front...Lambo, Ferrari, Tesla, etc. In this case, I'm tempted to approach the business.

Have you ever done this? What was the result? What would you suggest?

Thanks

Click through the pages of KJW Detailing and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Approaching People / Businesses

WOW 44 views and no opinions.

IMO there is a time and a place. Approaching the owner of one of these cars should be done in a complimentary form and in an inquisitive fashion. Ask them to share information about the car and it's always impressive if you demonstrate some knowledge about it as well.

Close with your a professional detailer and it would be an honor to work on your car and give them a business card.

That said it's really a timing thing and you'll have to be the judge of that. Never ask and you'll never get the work.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ralph! I always complement them on what a beautiful they have and always complement the color of choice as well. Most people with great cars love talking about that with someone else who has the same love and care for cars.

I always can tell if a person is too busy or has other things going on and would be too busy to talk so look for those signs if your a good "people reader". If they aren't busy then let the talking begin

As for valet I don't think I would go up talking to people as they are going to dinner and I'm sure the restaurant wouldn't like that either.

As for following them well don't look like a stalker or anything but if you "happen" to be at the same place at the same time then well there is your opportunity.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously, I don't want to come off as a stalker haha.

On the restaurants website, they show how they support a few local business. This might be my opportunity towards approaching them.

Click through the pages of KJW Detailing and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KJW Detailing View Post

On the restaurants website, they show how they support a few local business. This might be my opportunity towards approaching them.
    Most certainly thats a great opportunity for you. See if you can set up a meeting with the owner and be sure to bring some info and photos of your work.. Before and afters would be great as you are well aware!
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KJW Detailing View Post

Agreed. The better those "exlusive" cars look sitting outside of their establishment, the better the establishment looks overall. You can sell it to the restaurant as a win/win.

You might even consider working a deal with management for a finder's fee for referrals.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I contacted them and will wait for a response over the next several days. I like both of your ideas of before and after shots, as well as a possible finders fee if referrals are generated from the restaurant.

Post Thanks / Like

i learn that not every hi-end and last model car owner will need a pro detailer, so i just ignore them , waist of time.
    if i am in the area and the owner is there i just hand them a b-card and send them to the website for price info and pictures of my work , than walk away. easy and simple.
    who needs my service will find me.

Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    i learn that not every hi-end and last model car owner will need a pro detailer, so i just ignore them , waist of time.
    if i am in the area and the owner is there i just hand them a b-card and send them to the website for price info and pictures of my work , than walk away. easy and simple.
    who needs my service will find me.

Like!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Autogeek brothers,

We must not forget the most important word in business...NETWORKING. You need to find a business ally or allies to help you market you business.

I also own a Yard Management company and you know what helped me gain business quickly...networking. I had to find other businesses that would help me complement my business. I networked with pest control companies, painters, plumbers and anyone that had access to homes with a yard.

It helped me tremendously and my business practically grew overnight. I am now applying that same method to my small detailing business. During Labor Day weekend, I had a discussion with the owner of my daughters day care. I asked him if I could wash his employees cars (FREE), as a gift for Teacher's appreciation day. Why?

You know, FREE is not a bad thing, especially when you are trying to grow your business. The exposure doubled my client list and I gained the one thing I sought, recognition. The day car was surrounded by 4 other businesses, which gave me the ultimate exposure. That FOAM cannon made people stop in their tracks, they just couldn't help themselves...they just had to talk to me and ask about my business.

You need to know the concepts of hustling. When I did that FREE wash for the teachers, about 15 people approached me to ask about my prices. I gave them information about my business and my detailing package and now I have 8 of those customers booked for washes this weekend.

Remember, networking can only help and if you find someone that is hungry about growing their biz, you both will certainly benefit. Do this..

Are you close to a church? Talk to the Lead Pastor and ask if you can give his congregation FREE washes or half off washes. Look for other businesses that will complement a detailing business. Go to a busy repair shop and ask the owner if you can wash his customers car FREE or half off.

Does anyone understand my method? Can you afford to do a FREE wash to gain 3 or 4 new customers. Do you understand that networking is essential because it can be difficult to gain do alone. Once you start networking, your networking partner(s) will help you market and grow your business. The Tint guy will promote your business and you will promote the Tint guys business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast