autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: taxes

Post Thanks / Like

taxes

i realize this wont be the same in every state (im in oklahoma) but for someone who owns a detailing buisness, do you have to charge taxes on your details? or does this only apply to selling items?

question number two, for someone opening a detail buisness (fully mobile) how do you find out what tax bracket you would be in for paying income tax.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: taxes

Quote Originally Posted by danieledwards12 View Post
    i realize this wont be the same in every state (im in oklahoma) but for someone who owns a detailing buisness, do you have to charge taxes on your details? or does this only apply to selling items?

question number two, for someone opening a detail buisness (fully mobile) how do you find out what tax bracket you would be in for paying income tax.
    Hi Daniel,
    I just went through this earlier this year, there are some good threads on this topic if you do a search. You should charge sales tax on everything you do or sell.
    Also, Your Tax Accountant would be best to talk to as far as the income tax bracket, be ready for some sticker shock though.

Post Thanks / Like

It varies by state, check your local laws. In NC you do not have to charge sales tax for services, although they are talking about changing that right now.

Income tax will depend on how you set up your business legally. The easiest way starting out in my opinion is setting up as a Sole Proprietorship. This way you just file the income on your personal taxes, just make sure you set aside money for the income tax. I would talk to an accountant and/or a lawyer about the best way to set it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimB204 View Post
    It varies by state, check your local laws. In NC you do not have to charge sales tax for services, although they are talking about changing that right now.

Income tax will depend on how you set up your business legally. The easiest way starting out in my opinion is setting up as a Sole Proprietorship. This way you just file the income on your personal taxes, just make sure you set aside money for the income tax. I would talk to an accountant and/or a lawyer about the best way to set it up.
    Disagree...set up an LLC and file an S-Corp election. This will allow you to pay yourself a wage on w-2 basis throughout the year and withhold payroll and income tax. The rest will become a distribution which will flow to your personal tax return using statement K-1 and is not subject to payroll tax (only personal income tax). Of course, you need to talk to a tax professional though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Cali, no sales tax for services here.
    I'm sole proprietor, and file my taxes in Feb. Keep track of every penny you spend on business supplies.

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

No sales tax on services here in MA. You will pay income tax on your adjusted income. If you have a good accountant your income will be fairly low after all your expenses. I'm no expert but everything wdmaccord said sounds a bit off to me. I'm pretty sure an LLC is a pass through entity just like being a sole proprietor (which is what I am) so either way it would be listed as personal income and no corporate tax is due.

Post Thanks / Like

In New York State, sales tax on services are limited to any customization performed.

As for Oklahoma, I am not an accountant but I have an idea where to look. I googled... "Oklahoma sales tax on services" and found the right document. Chapter 65 of the Sales and Use Tax code.

BTW, the main site is.... Oklahoma Tax Commission

Section 710:65-1-7 is of interest and #3 talks about contractors. It looks like all your labor would be subject to sales tax.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you all for the help. i have read and read and then read some more and then i get all of yalls responses and im still overwhelmed so i guess i will be going to talk to an accountant.

Super Member Corey@OptimalDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, no help on the topic, but where in Oklahoma are you?

Post Thanks / Like

tahlequah, oklahoma...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast