autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

The power of the referral

We've discussed ads, flyers, business cards and even referrals from time to time, but this showed up on my page over the weekend :

"Just wanted to say a huge thanks for the awesome job you did on the interior of our car. The car is my husbands daily driver, and was a mess when we got it. Heavily smoked in, stains all over and just dirty. It looks fabulous now! We are so impressed with how clean you got it. We cannot recommend your services enough! Thanks for the excellent job Gary!!"

That part was nice enough and I really appreciated it. The customer who wrote it has 2 other vehicles that they want me to service. What I did not expect was that she posted the same review on a local business web page. WHOAH. I have been inboxed 12 times since Monday morning just on her referral. 2 have solidly booked and another is thinking over the package that I offered. As of now I am solidly booked through the second week of August which was completely unexpected since I don't advertise. This business is still in the "side job" category but this summer it is showing the potential to be a steady part time income that I actually enjoy doing.
    The point simply is that we all want to get our name out there whether we're already established or just starting out. All it takes is one customer who "knows" a few people and it's off to the races !

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The power of the referral

Awesome! Congrats on doing a great job and being rewarded for your efforts!

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garyg7133 View Post
    We've discussed ads, flyers, business cards and even referrals from time to time, but this showed up on my page over the weekend :

"Just wanted to say a huge thanks for the awesome job you did on the interior of our car. The car is my husbands daily driver, and was a mess when we got it. Heavily smoked in, stains all over and just dirty. It looks fabulous now! We are so impressed with how clean you got it. We cannot recommend your services enough! Thanks for the excellent job Gary!!"

That part was nice enough and I really appreciated it. The customer who wrote it has 2 other vehicles that they want me to service. What I did not expect was that she posted the same review on a local business web page. WHOAH. I have been inboxed 12 times since Monday morning just on her referral. 2 have solidly booked and another is thinking over the package that I offered. As of now I am solidly booked through the second week of August which was completely unexpected since I don't advertise. This business is still in the "side job" category but this summer it is showing the potential to be a steady part time income that I actually enjoy doing.
    The point simply is that we all want to get our name out there whether we're already established or just starting out. All it takes is one customer who "knows" a few people and it's off to the races !
    I believe in becoming who I am (Translation: You learn everyday.)
    <-Bubba

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome. Great Job!

Post Thanks / Like

Referrals are definitely powerful. I dropped a business card in a parking lot while out for dinner. She made an appointment to get her headlights done. She referred a friend who I've done 3 cars for recently and he regularly changes vehicles too.
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, and yes, they are definitely powerful tools. Just got another email yesterday that turned into a job Monday morning. Another referral. Can't believe how quickly word is spreading !

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by garyg7133 View Post

Word of mouth is your strongest bang for the buck and your best form of advertising, especially if you want to work on SIV's.

This is why when I created my Vehicle Inspection Forum I included a section to help detailers to,

A: Ask for referrals
    B: Give them a script to follow that is professional in it's presentation.

Here's a screenshot...

You can modify my form in Microsoft Word and you can get a copy by clicking the link below and replying to the thread...

Mike Phillips VIF or Vehicle Inspection Form

I created the form with lots of info because "you" can simply cut out what you don't want to use. But if you want it... it's all there... including a plug for my how-to book because it will show your customer how to wash their car carefully AFTER you detail it.

Post Thanks / Like

This is proof that the best ad is a satisfied customer.

Super Member Caleb@ImpeccableImage's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations that is awesome

Post Thanks / Like

Always remember the golden rule:

Every Customer has the power to make or break your business by word of mouth.

You never know who has the connections or motivation to promote you or go out of their way to spite you. By that toke, if you treat them all top notch, then all you can have are POWERFUL ADVOCATES for your business. That doesnt suck!!!!

and as Mike said, dont ever feel embarrassed asking for referrrals. Explain to them how important they are to you, just as im sure youve explained how important regular waxing is over and over, and they will get it.

nice work!