autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing uniforms

Hey guys,

I have to decide on a uniform for my startup detailing company.

For those of you who went through this before, do you have any advice?

Are there colors I should avoid, or colors that are preferable?

How about fabrics? I was thinking Polyester since it's so comfortable.

The belt is an issue for me, I am very careful around cars I always fear scratching them. Do you guys wear an appron or something similar while you work? I really don't like approns.

Finally, do you think a polo style (or golf shirt style) short sleeve shirt is good for a uniform?

Anyways, any thoughts you have I will appreciate reading.

Daniel

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing uniforms

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Hey guys,

I have to decide on a uniform for my startup detailing company.

For those of you who went through this before, do you have any advice?

Are there colors I should avoid, or colors that are preferable?

How about fabrics? I was thinking Polyester since it's so comfortable.

The belt is an issue for me, I am very careful around cars I always fear scratching them. Do you guys wear an appron or something similar while you work? I really don't like approns.

Finally, do you think a polo style (or golf shirt style) short sleeve shirt is good for a uniform?

Anyways, any thoughts you have I will appreciate reading.

Daniel
    You can get Dri-Fit type polos. Are you mobile or operating out of your own establishment? You could always take the belt off while working and wear it when meeting clients and such.

Post Thanks / Like

When I worked in a body shop I used to wear my buckle or belt to the side. Then I picked up a canvas velcro belt. they come in a lot of different colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Try mechanics belts, they have no buckles. Try a 3 button Henley if you don't want to go the polo route.
    2007 Chevy Equinox
    2008 Saturn Outlook

Post Thanks / Like

I wear black golf shorts that are creased and right at the knee. Black belt with a black polo with my logo and company name on it.The shirts are 100% Ringspun cotton and I like them so far. I would have went white but to much shows on white and I cannot afford to be being new shirts every week.

I know you think i'm crazy for detailing in all black but really it depends on the person. I have worked outside my whole life in some of the worst heat known to man so heat doesn't ever bother me I rather enjoy it. I do sweat but who doesn't? It looks professional and doesn't show signs of dirt only sometimes a salt line from sweat but even still, I have had it where a client calls me for an estimate right as i'm finishing one job (or maybe I have an hour left). I don't need to go home and freshen up because i'm already clean and if there is dirt you cant see it. I may have even just detailed for 10 hours *as an example* and you would never know which is why I went black because first impression is everything.

Color wise I would say black for sure if you have no problems with heat. If not a lighter dark color such as gray,stone, or even charcoal could look good if your trying to hide stains from future wear and tear on your shirts.

Post Thanks / Like

I have black t-shirts with logo and black shorts but when customers leave I change into crap clothes to get dirty in. I work out of my garage so people don't see me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the answers guys,

I love black and dark colors too. I wasn't sure about it because I felt that products like polishes, compounds, glazes, waxes and all that would pop up on them like Christmas trees since they are usually white or light colors... so that has not been an issue for you guys?

I will look into mechanic's belts and velcro belts. Any suggestion where I can find either? (never heard of them before so they can't be all that easy to find).

As for the heat... ya, black is not ideal but I think the fabric play a bigger role. If I went with something like cotton I might not want anything dark... but polyesther doesn't really get that hot. I wear a dark blue shirt and pant made of the stuff for my current job and I am outside all day, been really comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend a 'grayish' shirt. Black will really show any splatter, and white will (well) just get (and show) dirty.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Thanks for the answers guys,

I love black and dark colors too. I wasn't sure about it because I felt that products like polishes, compounds, glazes, waxes and all that would pop up on them like Christmas trees since they are usually white or light colors... so that has not been an issue for you guys?

I will look into mechanic's belts and velcro belts. Any suggestion where I can find either? (never heard of them before so they can't be all that easy to find).

As for the heat... ya, black is not ideal but I think the fabric play a bigger role. If I went with something like cotton I might not want anything dark... but polyesther doesn't really get that hot. I wear a dark blue shirt and pant made of the stuff for my current job and I am outside all day, been really comfortable.
    Any paint correction I do is in a garage and no one can see me so just like Todd I switch into the more comfy style clothing that I don't mind getting dirty. When I detail in all black that's when i'm mobile and for the most part when I have done a single stage correction I just try and be as careful as possible but not to the point where I lose time on the job trying to look like I just showed up.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a black shirt with company logo on it for picking up the vehicle and I change into a clean white shirt when I return the vehicle. As others have stated I change into work clothing to do the detail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast