autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Connecting with Local Competition

I had read Renny's book and he discussed meeting with other detailers in the area to make connections with them.

There are really 3 other independent detailers in town. I'm the new guy, and so far, so good, it's going well. I'm considering reaching out to the other guys to just get the discussion going, and so that if I have scheduling conflicts or if I need to be out of town, I can pass off customers to them as needed (last resort of course.) I would hope they would do the same.

I've always had a pretty friendly demeanor with competition in other industries I've worked, but you never know what you'll get.

Does anyone have any advice for dealing with it? Should I contact the competition or not? Email? Phone?

Thanks!
    Kevin Davis - Detailer's Helper
    Detailing Tool Belts Detailer's Helper
    Facebook: Detailer's Helper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Connecting with Local Competition

I haven't finished RD's book yet. If it were me I'd do it by phone then stop by. I think you have to go with your gut because I doubt they will be as sharing as those here on AGO. If they seem stand offish don't be too suprised. Many do not see competition as a good thing. It's likely to be a "sizing up meeting".

Not sure you're going to gain that much out of it.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

i keep it friendly with all other detailers around here, but poor chances i will mix business with them.
    i better hire my own people who does things the way i do it.
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, on more reflection (no pun intended,) I'm not sure if there is much to gain at this point either.

What I'm hoping to do with my business is establish myself as the only certified paint correction guy in town (thanks to Mike Phillips) so eventually I can be more selective with projects. There are some big money owners and cars in the area (Big Sky), and from what I've seen and talked to the car guys around here, there's really no one that knows how to do good paint correction.

So, eventually if all goes well, we wouldn't actually be direct competitors since we're going for different markets. That might make it easier to have the conversation.
    Kevin Davis - Detailer's Helper
    Detailing Tool Belts Detailer's Helper
    Facebook: Detailer's Helper

Post Thanks / Like

I also read Renny's book and I have been doing just that. In my area we have alot of other "detailers" that are actually hacks of the trade. I say that because I have 1st handily viewed there end product, washing techniques, hell how they wax and in my area they match every definition of hack.
    I've tried to reach out to some of them to help but they are incorrigible. Hopefully I can eventually shut them down by starving them of business.
    I have been trying to network with other professional detailers in my area that are also on AG, one such detailer is Jason from SeaJays Detailing. It's slow going but my intentions are like yours but I'm also doing to gain an ally and friend that's in the same business as me. I also think it's safe to say that if I didn't have help I would've sent him all my customers this previous winter when I tore my rotator cuff and separated my AC joint. Now that I'm almost 100% I can get back to business but networking gives you that piece of mind you can take care of your customers.
    William Castro - Owner/Operator/Enthusiast - Serving Northeast MA & Southeast NH

Post Thanks / Like

It is a good idea to try to get to know some of the other guys. I have made a good friend from one of the guys in my market. Some of the guys are jerks and act as if they are trying to guard the great secrets of the detailing universe.

The guy I befriended sent me some really good customers and I likewise sent some good ones his way. We are both part timers and try to make as many customers happy as possible. I'm not always available and neither is he, but between to two of us we try to take care of all the calls he and I both get.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rustytruck View Post
    It is a good idea to try to get to know some of the other guys. I have made a good friend from one of the guys in my market. Some of the guys are jerks and act as if they are trying to guard the great secrets of the detailing universe.

The guy I befriended sent me some really good customers and I likewise sent some good ones his way. We are both part timers and try to make as many customers happy as possible. I'm not always available and neither is he, but between to two of us we try to take care of all the calls he and I both get.
    My sentiments exactly
    William Castro - Owner/Operator/Enthusiast - Serving Northeast MA & Southeast NH

Post Thanks / Like

This is a good idea. Although, I'm not sure I would feel comfortable sending any of my customers or potential customers to my "competition." The are only a few shops nearby and some of the guys finish out with wool and rotary and think they are doing a great job. When I first started out one of the larger shops in the area even left a negative review on my Google Places page. That kind of put a sour taste in my mouth regarding "the other guys."

There was a brief period of time where I kept getting calls from people is Salinas, CA. I have no idea why. I probably forwarded at least $500 worth of business to a forum friend down there, LOL.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter