autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I ready? Full time mobile.(long)

So I run a part-time mobile detailing company. I have a 2012 ford transit that I use. ($300/mo) I work 30hrs a week at a tgi fridays, I, 28 and married. Trying for a kid, but not successful yet. I detail 2-3 days a week.

I have a good friend that has a window tint shop, I up charge tint off him. Another friend does remote starts and stereo installs, he's certified tech. I up charge off his work too. He would love a fixed location with me and he could afford $250/mo

I do full detailing, and have been on my own for 3 years part time, but last year was the first year I started to push on it.
    I also offer headlight correction.

I do not have a fixed location. There's an opportunity to have a spot where I pay on a per job basis. It's connected to a gas station/mechanic company in my local area. This would be very ideal. My tint buddy has a spot here, 4 car, heated, no water. $800/mo includes utilities and a sign on main road.

Last year I did close to $15,000 with no marketing besides word of mouth and Facebook. March-October. I'm licensed and insured. Thru chicagos winter I managed to upsell remote starts and tint and make another $1,400 on that part time trying. $16,400

I have great equipment but I use customers water/electric. I have an opportunity to have 2 corporate companies where I can wash on spot, possibly up to 50 cars a month.

I need... Water tank, generator, power washer. So I can be fully mobile and I know I have the right vehicle for it.

I work 3 nights till 1am and Sunday afternoons at the restaurant and I'm sick of it. I find myself scheduling cars around those days and sometimes missing work. I make $600/week there in tips and my hourly goes towards health insurance for the family. Last year btwn both jobs I made $45k. I can afford a temporary pay cut. But id like to make $37-$45k again this year, but just detailing or maybe one day a week at restaurant, if they would let me.

My brother does PDR and I've trained some over the winter but he chases hail storms and I couldn't complete it. There is future their though.

I have a college degree and hated working in a suit for suits. I grew up doing landscape development with my dads company and also worked for a detail company as well as the restaurant. I don't want to work for someone else's dream I want my own.

The county I live in as well as surrounding county averages $100k/yr/household. There is 1 other mobile detail company, which I've only seen at dealerships. Blah.

I want to take a business line of credit and get then equipment I need as well as some for marketing. I want to do this 5.5 days a week. Mon-fri 8:30-5 sat 10-3

I'm personable and have work ethic like crazy, but honestly, I'm scared of debt. I want a line for $10,000. I won't use it all but I need to pay myself while i push to expand.

In my county there are 5-6 busy and known car washes and detail centers but they use some brand called "pro" and machine washes... Lots of gas stations have washes as well, but no one is mobile.

I know this is long and I appreciate your time. Should I go for it? Wife's on board, but am I?

Facebook.com/finisheddetailing
    Finished Detailing
    "When your cars done right...it's finished."

I hate my company name but its all over my cards and vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Am I ready? Full time mobile.(long)

Hey bro, you have been doing great so far. If you hate company name, changing it the earlier is better.You can use Google for more clients. You can get van wrapped. Maybe postcards.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you have a lot going for you. Something to consider. Maybe cut back to two days at TGIF not a big change but if it covers your health benefits that could be hughe especially being married with a family.

Now is a good time to go for it in your life. Mobile would be the easiest for you. Fixed loaction raises your costs. Partners co-sharing expenses can be problematic on a number of different fronts but you do have a good cross section of variety available. Having a fixed location in the winter would be nice especially with harsh winters.

Keep us posted.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Do it up man...I've been in the restaurant business all my life and now I'm just starting a mobile detailing business....Hit it hard and don't even think twice! You'll kill it! Have fun!

Bill Parris
    Precision Detailz

Post Thanks / Like

Wife and kids. I would sit down and calculate exactly what benefits really cost. Benefits are really expensive. I work for the Post office as my full time job and each year they send me a benefits statement. My benefits cost almost as much as my salary.

If you want to earn $45k as a salary you may need to gross 100k to cover business expenses and salary plus benefits for you and your family. I think if last year your gross was $15k you may not be ready to make a jump to full time yet.

Good luck with your future plans.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you are in good shape, and have a good "base" of business. The opportunity is now if you want to do this full time. You will need some capital (line of credit you talked about) and a strong drive to constantly better your services and business thinking.

I don't think you would regret going full time, in fact I think you are in a better position than most of us were when starting out. My only tidbit of advice would be to keep your other source of income until you have absolutely 100% too much work to keep the other job.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks for taking time to read this. The posts were encouraging yet also real. I will put together a solid business plan with what I need and need to do. I'm very driven, and a, sick of being a 28yr old server with a degree.

Thank you so much for the solid tips and advice. I will try and keep my serving job as little much as I can... Once a week if I can pull it off... I've been there since 06'. On and off. I'll take the time to get a solid plan together and try and get a revolving line. Push myself and show people my passion and convenience.

VP mark, I know your southern IL, how do your handle winter? Do you work harder during the better months, and save for it? Other services? Retail jobs?

Post Thanks / Like

Your biggest concern in my opinion will be heath benefits. If you have kids and one gets sick with anything big and no insurance there goes everything you have worked for. I'm luck my wife is the bread winner and we have insurance from her work. All I'm trying to say just be smart don't want to see anything happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonFD View Post
    Wow, thanks for taking time to read this. The posts were encouraging yet also real. I will put together a solid business plan with what I need and need to do. I'm very driven, and a, sick of being a 28yr old server with a degree.

Thank you so much for the solid tips and advice. I will try and keep my serving job as little much as I can... Once a week if I can pull it off... I've been there since 06'. On and off. I'll take the time to get a solid plan together and try and get a revolving line. Push myself and show people my passion and convenience.

VP mark, I know your southern IL, how do your handle winter? Do you work harder during the better months, and save for it? Other services? Retail jobs?
    I only have two really slow months, January and February. Last year I was still doing a LOT of appointments until right before Christmas. When I am really busy I put a lot of money back. As the years go on I find myself getting busier and busier during the winter. If it ever gets slow enough that I have to get a full time job, I will, but I plan on getting busier during the winter months, not slower.

I was in the almost EXACT same boat as you are in only I was a year younger, and working retail. Had a degree that cost me buku bucks and wanted to use it. Voila Visual Pro Detailing!
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Medical insurance is a huge factor. Most corporations require a person to work 24 hours to receive medical benefits.Just to let you know, medical bills prompt more than 60 percent of U.S. bankruptcies. I know you don't think about that now but when you have kids you will realize how much it would add up without insurance.

While the idea of sharing a location with a friend sounds great you can never count on it. It is like loaning money to a family member. While their intentions are good to pay you back the odds are you are not going to get it back.

If you have an opportunity to have 2 corporate companies where you can wash on spot, you should jump on that. I am sure they can work around your schedule.

You have a huge advantage that your brother can help you with PDR.

If you are going to change your company name do it now. Personally, I don't think it is bad.

Best of luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast