autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Your opinion counts!!!!

How much can a detail add to the resale of a auto?. And how much faster would a decent 6 yrs old auto sell with a complete detail full correction 90%?

I have my ideas but i would like input to get a average!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your opinion counts!!!!

Not much really I have done a lot of used cars for customers to sell. I think it really helps to sell the car to have it cleaned and looking like new. Most people look at the inside of a car before the out side. So if the car looks great not going to sell for more cause the blue book value is still the same. I never do a full paint correction on a customers used car unless maybe if its black because there not going to make that money back. I'm very honest with my customers about this.

Post Thanks / Like

According to Lauren Fix, an auto care expert and spokeswoman for the Car Care Council, the value of a "mid-range car" can be increased by $2,000 or more when selling it privately by just sprucing it up and making minor, easy repairs.
    Dirt-B-Gone Mobile Detailing
    www.HandWashAndWax.com
    facebook.com/DBGMobileDetailing John Wells

Post Thanks / Like

I'll agree with Pureshine. 90% of folks (that's my scientific number) don't know what, "paint correction," means. And a further 5% don't care about it. The other 5% is your target for this...and those are slim pickings.

That said, optimizing everything possible prevents at least some haggling opportunities. Minimize a scratch and you won't hear, "Let's take $100 off for that..." Ultimately, though, I think supply and demand dictates sale price.
    -Jerry
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another way to look at it:

Use a car that's for sale to practice on. Learning experiences will be more valuable than the money you get out of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by y8s View Post
    Here's another way to look at it:

Use a car that's for sale to practice on. Learning experiences will be more valuable than the money you get out of them.
    Good suggestion.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Best thing is do an AIO and detail the inside as best you can. Sadly people don't look at swirls, they look at, "is it shiny, and is the interior clean,"(because in reality that's where you spend the most time in) cant see the paint driving. I just helped my cousin by detailing his F350 work truck. I detailed the interior perfectly, and for the outside, buffed the headlights, clayed, and used DG501. Came out seriously 50x better. That's all that's really needed. I see the same mistake made with rims. Some guy has an old car he wants to sell, thinking it'll sell a ton better, he goes out and spend 1200bucks on rims and tires. Now, to make your money back, you better add 1200 bucks to the price. But on a 4500 dollar car, that now goes up to 5700$. True story too, a guy is selling an old Tahoe, thing is still there after 2 months,(price went too high because of rims).

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detailingtime View Post
    How much can a detail add to the resale of a auto?.
    -In these hard economic times I often find myself becoming more and more depressed
    when I think about my personal vehicles' depreciating values.

(I've heard this axiom all of my life:
    A new vehicle loses between 15-20% of its value as soon as it's driven off the lot!)

Along with the above initial-%-depreciation...
    Each vehicle has their own reasons for further depreciation over their expected life-cycle.

Brand, model, condition of the exterior/interior---including bumps, bruises, dings/dangs...
    how many were assembled, maintenance-schedule, mileage, etc.

Example of two 6 yrs. old vehicles (same make and model):
    Vehicle #1:
    -Scratches/swirls abound
    -Bird Poop/Water etchings galore
    -Carpet/Seating stains
    -Malodorous cabin area...Smoke/pet urine (hopefully just pet); Old-Man-Smell; etc.

Vehicle #2:
    -No swirls/scratches
    -No bird poop/water etchings
    -Interior looks and smells fantastic.

More than likely to a potential buyer...
    -Vehicle #1 probably looks old and worn...inside and out.
    -Vehicle #2, on the other hand, probably looks like a brand new car.

IMO, then:
    -A potential buyer will probably deem Vehicle #1 to be less desirous/have a lower value.

If I were the potential buyer...
    I'd take a hard look at, among others, the:
    -Maintenance schedule records
    -Tires
    -Exhaust
    -Transmission
    -Braking system
    -Rust: Snow-belt/oceanside vehicle
    -Why is this Yellow-vehicle listed as being White?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Detailingtime View Post
    And how much faster would a decent 6 yrs old auto sell
    with a complete detail full correction 90%?
    Will, then, a well-kept/detailed vehicle bring it to the: "cutting-edge" of the used vehicle market...
    Thereby encouraging a quicker sale-rate??<<<IMO: 'Eye, and Billfold/Purse of the Beholder'.

Another thing...
    Nowadays...I wonder if the titles are: "Free and Clear"?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

For a private sale...maybe. For a dealer trade in, practically NOTHING (some dealers won't even look at the car, they only care about mileage). I spent days getting my last trade-in ready to take to the dealer for a trade. He never even left the building to look at it, and I went elsewhere.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! Great answers on here!

It comes down to multiple factors.

1. Before and After

2. How its being sold

3. Actual Vehicle

4. Time invested

5. Money invested.

In October I traded off my Black 2011 Infiniti FX50S. It was on lease and due to HEAVY initial deprecation on that particular vehicle in my town, it was cheaper and faster to have Infiniti buy it back at wholesale then for me to put it up for sale.

I detailed it before they appraised it; two step polish (soft paint on solid black), shampooed the interior, cleaned the leather, waxed with a coat of Pinnacle Souveran. Very thorough cleaning.

Now I want to make it clear, this car had serve steering rack issues, driveline issue (drag racing accident.... ), bruised from a fight with a construction cone and 3/4 rims had been severely "curbed"/bad road rash (not me I swear!). Because it was in such good condition they gave me full wholesale value, $6000 more than price one tier down.

In that case, did my hard work pay off?? YES! Maybe $30-50 of product invested.

Now when selling a car on your own, will you be able to sell it for MORE? Most likely not! I can say though, it will be an easier sale. You will have to deal with less bickering on price and low ball offers. This is because it shows pride of ownership and usually that would suggest the car has been maintained.

Make sure you draw a line! thorough cleaning and glaze/wax/AIO will go much further than actual paint correction! Get rid of scratches and major road wear and really clean it up!

If you are going to sell, go as cheap as you can on the detail! No point in investing $$$ and huge time on a correction step, you will not see it back in the form of cash!

Best of luck to you!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast