autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Handling the accidental lowball quote?

One of many calls this sunny day, a client asked about the price to do a 1 step/very light swirl removal on their small Toyota.

Learning from several posts here, I considered worst-case time estimate, my desired hourly rate and quoted a range of $250-$300 to be finalized when I look at the car. (my rates are at or slightly above what most other shops charge)

The client exclaimed "I was expecting it to be around $400!"

Any thoughts on handling this besides pointing out no major religion forbids tipping?
    Mike at www.GreatReflections.biz
    Vancouver, WA's convenient Mobile Detailer comes to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Handling the accidental lowball quote?

Sounds to me like you would've been totally happy accepting the $250-$300 you quoted, correct? For me, as long as I'm getting my desired hourly rate, it doesn't bother me knowing that the client might have been willing to pay more. I get the money I wanted, and the client walks away feeling like he got a great deal. That's going to encourage him to come back.

You said you haven't looked at the car yet. If it were me, I'd try and get him to re-mention the $400 price, and then "jokingly" reply that if he wanted to give me $400, I wouldn't stop him! Put the idea of it in his head, without seeming to forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it a small Toyota 4runner?? lol All Toyotas are small to some people...

Post Thanks / Like

Just tell them it's really determined by the condition, but most of the time it's around 300. Then when you look at it, mentally split the difference and say you want 350 as its a little moe than what you normally see.

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad, brick mason by trade and lifelong handyman would say something along the long lines of...

"You have a choice; you could find a way to squeeze an extra buck out of them, you could try upsell them additional services or you could be satisfied knowing you've probably earned a repeat customer that will send you referrals... unless you do shitty work, then find that way to squeeze the extra buck out of them, they're never coming back."

Lucky Joe,
    Wannabe Detailer

Sent from my HTC DNA

Post Thanks / Like

I would accept your original price. Do a great job (as usual of course) and saving the customer a significant amount of money (in their opinion) will reap more in the long run such as repeat business or a referral. Let your casual joke be interpreted wrong and their friends or family will hear about the detailer pushing for a tip or a higher quote. It would definitely rub me the wrong way. If they want to throw a few extra bucks your way when you're done, it's because THEY feel you earned it, not because YOU feel like they would've gladly overpaid. Does that make sense?
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

Just do a great job at the price you quoted. Honestly its one step so its not going to break the bank. I am sure the client will return with some serious work again and you can adjust it accordingly. And it might be a great time to up sell them too.
    2017 Mercedes Benz AMG C43
    2016 Acura MDX SH-awd

Post Thanks / Like

Well live and learn. I sell industrial tools along with detailing on the side. I deal with quotes and negotiating prices all the time.

Honestly you made the crucial mistake of quoting over the phone. Quite often I only deal in person. Easier to read the customer and really close a deal. One of my main tactics is to frankly ask customers what their budget is and go 5-10% under it with an according product/service (only if their budget meets your minimum criteria). Balances getting the maximum $$$ while pleasing the customer. Lets assume said customer really had a $400 budget. Offer him $375 and you would've had a solid deal.

It is going to be pretty damn hard to get more out of it now, let it be a lesson.

Keep in mind, just because the customer said "I was expecting $400" doesn't necessarily mean they would paid for it. Quite often it is a subtle/secret way of saying "your prices are exactly what I want to pay and I am happy to do business with you"

Don't let it psych you too much. If you have something people want at a price they want to pay, leave it.

Post Thanks / Like

A deal is a deal. This one you'll have to eat
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

IMO there are two ways to approach this & I would judge it by how the vehicle presents when you see it & also by face to face judgement of the customer.

You can either stick to your quote & as mentioned by others, if you do a good job & have come in cheaper than he expected, you may gain a great customer.

Or you can politely bring up what extra services you can offer him for the $400 he had been expecting to pay.
    This way he either gets the service he wanted, for less than he expected, or he gets more service for what he was originally willing to pay.

No matter what, I say don't try & charge him $400 for something you've already quoted $250ish on.
    Unless this things trashed that is!

Basically stick to your guns or politely try to get an upsell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast