autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Foot Wear

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foot Wear

As hot as it gets here in Oki and NC - I wear 5 finger toe shoes when I detail. Then again I'm real careful and haven't had any foot issues (knock on wood!!) Wearing steeltoes in 110+ degree summer weather for any length of time is miserable. Been there done that in Iraq and AFG- never again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Columbia Granite Pass Waterproof & comfy

Post Thanks / Like

I've pretty much settled into my running shoes now. They get wet sometimes, but they are mesh topped, so they dry quickly, and I can throw them in the washing machine when they get dirty. They seem to help with fatigue running around on my shop's concrete floor. No foot protection, but I'm not really doing anything on a regular basis where I need that anyway.
    Kevin Davis - Detailer's Helper
    Detailing Tool Belts Detailer's Helper
    Facebook: Detailer's Helper

Post Thanks / Like

you can get industrial steel toe water proof boots and shoes. They also make rubber slip on's that you can slip on over your sneakers with a steel toe insert. They have a descent tread on them. You can put them on for moving equipment around and doing a wash and kick them off during the session. I just find steel toes to be too heavy to be on your feet all day. I wear waterproof work boots during the wash then change to sneakers while i'm doing all the "dry" parts of detailing. I don'y like wearing chunky boots inside a clients car.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inDetail View Post
    you can get industrial steel toe water proof boots and shoes. They also make rubber slip on's that you can slip on over your sneakers with a steel toe insert. They have a descent tread on them. You can put them on for moving equipment around and doing a wash and kick them off during the session. I just find steel toes to be too heavy to be on your feet all day. I wear waterproof work boots during the wash then change to sneakers while i'm doing all the "dry" parts of detailing. I don'y like wearing chunky boots inside a clients car.
    I like the slip on idea, better than the occasional wet socks!
    Kevin Davis - Detailer's Helper
    Detailing Tool Belts Detailer's Helper
    Facebook: Detailer's Helper

Post Thanks / Like

I wear steel toes at work outside all day long. Get a comfy/quality pair and you will be fine. They also make composite toes which are lighter, and don't make your toes freeze when its cold out.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to wear my nike frees but they get way too wet. Now I use Nike shox and I have no problem with my feet getting wet. They let my foot sit up a bit higher and the water can't come in my shoes.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I worked at the body shop I wore Die Hard steel toe black low top mechanic boots with extra sole. (Just in case)

But now since I am only doing Detailing, I can recommend not wearing Converse Chuck Taylor's low tops (you might look cool, but your feet will be soaking wet) lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davisautodetail View Post
    Okay, so this is going to sound goofy.

Yesterday while loading up my mobile trailer, I managed to get the thing on my toe, almost cutting the stupid thing off. Needless to say, stitches.

This isn't the first time I've hurt my toes, and it had me rethinking my foot wear approach. I'm almost always wearing running shoes, they are light, easy to get on an off, dry quickly if they get wet, and since I exercise a lot, I always have a good supply of them after they get too many miles on them but look good still.

I considered switching to some sort of boot, but I'm concerned about 2 things (1) that wearing boots with shorts will make me look like a mailman, and 2) they are too heavy and will get tiresome after doing a full day of detailing.

Most of the stuff I do isn't dangerous to the feet, but loading/unloading the mobile trailer could be.

Has anyone found a good solution that might provide a little more protection than running shoes, but not weigh 100lbs?

Thanks!

KD
    (feeling like a bit of a chick. ;->)
    Could you simply use the heavy boot with the toe protection when you load/unload and switch to your running shoes while
    you're doing the detailing?

Just saying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1USMC View Post
    As hot as it gets here in Oki and NC - I wear 5 finger toe shoes when I detail. Then again I'm real careful and haven't had any foot issues (knock on wood!!) Wearing steeltoes in 110+ degree summer weather for any length of time is miserable. Been there done that in Iraq and AFG- never again.
    I'd run off a professional wearing such on my property...but I'm crotchety like that.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast