autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Gas or electric power washer?

I've always had gas pressure washers. My last one was a HF cheapo that worked great but unfortunately sat for a couple years and didn't want to start again so I sold it at my garage sale. I more than got my money out of it. I realize electric is probably fine for washing cars, but I also like to clean my sidewalks, driveway, and wood fence with it. Will a +\- 1700 psi electric do this just as well as a 2500-3000 psi gas one?
    2011 Corvette Grand Sport & 2007 TrailBlazer SS (Both black!)

Post Thanks / Like
    There have been a number of threads on the subject of power washers. I recently bought a karcher series x 2000 psi electric. I plan to use it on brick patio and house as well as car. It should have enough muscle to get jobs done for me. But a lot of forum posters rely on more powerful gas models also. Plenty of advice available.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AG Online

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was told to not just look at the psi, but the gallons per minute. I had a 2500 psi 1.9 home that was beyond its fixable life. I am having a nicer one made that will have a Honda motor 2200psi and around 3.8gpm. I demo's one similar and although less psi cleaned concrete faster than when mine was new. Just something else to think about.

Sent from my XT901 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by durant113 View Post
    I was told to not just look at the psi, but the gallons per minute. I had a 2500 psi 1.9 home that was beyond its fixable life. I am having a nicer one made that will have a Honda motor 2200psi and around 3.8gpm. I demo's one similar and although less psi cleaned concrete faster than when mine was new. Just something else to think about.

Sent from my XT901 using AG Online
    I agree. GPM is important. I bought from Pressure Washers Direct and I think they included a calculation of psi x gpm as a statistic to help with ones decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gas or electric power washer?

Quote Originally Posted by KenR View Post
    I agree. GPM is important. I bought from Pressure Washers Direct and I think they included a calculation of psi x gpm as a statistic to help with ones decision.

Pressure Washers Direct - Your Online Pressure Washer Superstore - Power Washer, Power Washers, Pressure Washer for Sale, Buy Pressure Washer, Power Washer for Sale, Buy Power Washer

Post Thanks / Like

I say go for a nice electric one. I personally dont want to hear a gas unit running when I release the trigger. An Electric one will stop soon after you release the trigger and all is quiet.

Post Thanks / Like

Before buying any gas or electric pressure washer, you should see the comparisons between gas pressure washer vs electric pressure washer in link.

Post Thanks / Like

I decided on an electric one when I first started. Main reason was since I am mobile, it helps cut down on noise when I get an early start in close-home neighborhoods. After a lot of research, I decided on a Karcher X Series and I could not be happier. It has performed flawlessly and has stepped up to every task I have asked of it.

If considering electric, Karcher is one of the best ones out there in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest advantages of gas are using it anywhere (limited by gas available) and more pressure/power for the dollar. The electrics are usually limited to 2GPM / 1400 psi or lower gpm/slightly higher psi - limited by the 15A 120V available. They are definitely quieter, lightweight (majority are mostly plastic), and cheapest for simple models. The electrics are not usually repairable..cheaper to get a new one.
    Al
    The Need to Bead