autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to find a partner?

I'm very passionate about starting a either mobile or storefront (unit/garage). The mobile end seems like it would be the best bet right? Nope. It seems that it could a lot more with a truck and all the equipment associated with making water go from the tank to the car.

Moving on... I found an incredible unit by me 30x50 heat/bathroom/shower/phone/cable/common lounge area/gated and card access at late hours.

The problem is rent is $550...while not a bad deal overall, for someone who is just getting started with little to no client base it is. Could I get the first few months rent? Yes but it would be tight. I've asked around and I see it all the time but how do you partner up with someone? Seems like a lot of good teams out there but when I asked a one-man crew that looks busy I get an answer like I'm trying to take over his company.

My ideal situation is to have a partner that does some cars or tinting/clear bra (I'd also like to learn that) that can pay some towards overall rent...that or someone who wants to store a car or some other toys there!!

Long story short....I'm on the MD/PA line, anyone want to team up?

(yes I know with every good team there are probably tons of awful ones!)

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to find a partner?

come to socal and ill team up with you lol

Post Thanks / Like

I've been at the point where I'm ready to leave this location! Cali is a bit of a stretch and I'd end up spending more time riding my bike than working on cars!

Post Thanks / Like

come in TX i keep you busy )

let`s get back to serious stuff....
    i have a feel that you got stuck on one idea only , and i hope you will not fail because of that. see other options....
    if you just started than have a business plan , if from beginning you are relay one some else , who you probably don`t even know him , than... get a job
    all you need is to have someone bail on you and end up with a rent , and no clients. make sense.... or leave your shop empty one morning...
    see what`s your budget , who`s your client and how you rich them , and market in that direction.
    if your plans are for a brick location than be ready to support your business for couple months ....

Good luck!
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there ya go I split the country in half!

I have not started yet and yes I've thought over the bad egg situation. I mean I haven't even came up with a name yet!

My area has all the classes under the sun...but the problem is they're all cheap! I know I can start off little, hand wash and two step corrections wit a solid wax but I get all caught up in the equipment and THINKING I need certain things right away. If I could just settle on what I need NOW then rent might not seem as harsh.

Post Thanks / Like

How to find a partner?

I want to start of by saying congrats on deciding to make detailing your profession not just a hobby. Its a decision not to be taken likely.
    I very highly recommend getting this book, How to Start a Home-based Car Detailing Business. Don't let the name fool you, anyone starting or who already owns mobile or fixed detailing business can benefit from this. I picked it up well after started detailing for a profession and it will save you some headaches along the way.

I don't know what rent in your area is like, but here when I first started out part-time I worked in a garage that was 10' x 15' with no bathroom, no office, no waiting area, no utilities included for $500/month. The shop itself was behind a building with no street view so I had to rely solely on word of mouth. I worked in that shop for 2 years by myself, bringing a helper on board on my 3rd year.

If it was me, I would do it alone, it may stink at first just like anything else in life, but the rewards are well worth it if your smart. When it comes to the window tinting, etc... that's what independent contractors are for. You set up the appointments and call in your contractor and up charge the service.
    I lucked out on the shop I'm opening up in the spring, MASSIVE garage space, storage closet, loft, 2 bathrooms, big office, and a waiting area about the size of the garage I use to work out of. First thing I did before signing the lease was do some research in my area and besides detailing, there was also a big demand on window tint, remote starters, with an ok market for PDR and audio installation. There are other shops in my area that concentrate on audio so I won't advertise it but upon learning that I went next and sought out guys who did that work and brought them on as independent contractors. They tell me when they're available and I schedule the work, and they bill me. They're both certified and insured so anything that goes wrong on there end they're responsible.

You shouldn't be surprised with the kind of reaction you get because your essentially there competition and your just as likely to take there customers. If your not willing to go it alone, and you don't have someone you can trust already available that wants to go in with you then your better off. If you bring anyone else you essentially have to ask yourself, would you trust that person to be in your house by themselves and not take anything, or destroy anything, if you can't then you shouldn't bring em on. I hope this helps you out in making a decision. Good luck either way.
    William Castro - Owner/Operator/Enthusiast - Serving Northeast MA & Southeast NH

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    I've been at the point where I'm ready to leave this location! Cali is a bit of a stretch and I'd end up spending more time riding my bike than working on cars!
    Even better i got a Honda cbr we can ride together

Post Thanks / Like

interesting thread title lol.
    "Professional results at an honest price"
    Check out our work on Facebook!http://www.facebook.com/pages/Full-T...87875924588731

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psynx View Post
    come to socal and ill team up with you lol
    Not to steal this thread but I'm in Placentia might be interested in new business.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually live in Harford county, MD (near the PA line) and have been kicking around the idea of getting into the detailing biz for the past year or so. I was a financial analyst and now work as an accountant, so I am pretty good with the logistics of the business side of things. I have a passion for detailing and would love to turn what I enjoy into a business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast