autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Dang man, I was just kidding around.

Hello to all my fellow Detailers,

Well this time I think I went and done it. I was over at my buddies rod shop working on a little project and happened to notice one of those huge $1,000,000 Prevost Motorhome/Tour Bus things over next store getting some custom graphics work on it. This particular one also had one of those long matching tri-axle trailers along with it.

So I was messing around with my painter buddy doing the graphics work and said he needs to bring that thing to me and let me show him how its supposed to be done.

A little friendly banter back and forth and a while later this gentleman walks over to where I was working. I did a Homer Simpson and thought to myself Doh. He invited me over to see the coach so I politely walked over chatting about detailing and what not and somewhere in the conversation he asked if I could really work on one so I dug a little deeper. I asked him if he wanted a wash and wax or? He replied oh no, this would be a full 3 step, polish all stainless, engine, interior shampooed and dressed, the works. Ooookay! Then he asks me how long it would take for something like that and I politely said for something like that it would honestly be ballpark 2-3 days with full crew but I am expensive and threw out a respectable number at the upper end of my pay scale figuring that would probably be that. Nope, he is still in the game. Now I am thinking Dang, I really might have to do this thing. Well we will have a good paycheck at the end of it.

As the conversation continues he mentions he is both a vendor and outfitter for these types of high end coaches and after hearing much praise from my Customers on our high end work on our hot rods and such, asked if we might be able to handle these things all new or freshly updated and painted, and all full details 1-3 a week Under Contract?

To give you a prospective here....

So we will hash out details tomorrow and most likely demo one first part of the week and go from there. Luckily we have done a few of these before and have a good working game plan but that was the last thing I was expecting to end the day with. I think I'm gonna need a bigger shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dang man, I was just kidding around.

Congrats on the new business! That would keep me busy all week. That's a lot of paint to polish!
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Lord. That thing is HUGE! Hope you have a ladder. Or a scaffold. Or bucket truck, LOL! Good luck and I hope the business works out for you.
    Our Lady Of Blessed Acceleration - Don't Fail Me Now.

Alex, from Northern Virginia.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Dang man, I was just kidding around.

Hey Nicholas,

I thank you very much, and yep this kinda project and scale can get away from you in a hurry if not prepared for it.

Apparently the last Detailer they had quoted a higher cost than me and I high balled it, and then demanded 4 per week and wound up not able to handle the work load and up and quit.

This type of gig I am going to break out a four man crew and my big mobile rig on steroids.

07 F350 7.2 Powerstroke twin turbo
    rear bagged and braced to hold the water weight
    twin train horns running 1/2" lines so it hurts to hear it from across the street
    Its big, its loud and mama hates it.

Ability to carry up to 600 gallons of water
    4000 PSI dual wand turned up to 310 degrees "steam vapor"
    8000 watt gen
    More lights than the LAPD. Click below to see vid of my night lights. hehe

Tag team two on two rolling both sides at the same time bang the outside in a good 10 hour day. Then come back with a two man crew the next day and bang the inside top to bottom in about the same and she should look halfway decent. Get it in, get it out, and move on.
    Last edited by Blue Diamond; 12-06-2012 at 12:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

that thing is huge!!

might be a good score for you in the long run. those prevost homes are buck$$$$. All the nascar drivers live in prevost motorhomes inside the track. So you are dealing with some high clientele.
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc. - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com

Super Member Anthony@zerboautoworks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    How much did you quote him if you don't mind me asking?

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go! Best of luck to you!

Post Thanks / Like

That F350's a beast. Nice lights!
    Our Lady Of Blessed Acceleration - Don't Fail Me Now.

Alex, from Northern Virginia.

Post Thanks / Like

Why would fresh paint need to be compounded? Compounding RV's is usually for oxidized paint. Are those Vinyl graphics or color infused gel coat? Careful with that pressure washer. As far as shampooing the interior there should not be much to do,mostly tile,hardwood and leather. That trailer is very high. I work on high end motorhomes but that trailer is to high I would not be able to reach the very top with my A frame ladders I use. They reach the motorhome and most brand 5th wheels. I hope you factored in the roof. No pressure washer on the roof.

I'm guessing that unit with the trailer is about 44 ft and the trailer is about 30ft That makes it at least 74 ft my price for just a wash and once around with an AIO would be $888 Seems like a nice chunk of change but I would pass on the job due to the height of the trailer. That's the kind of job you don't want to get part way into and relized you bit off more than you chew. It's not like working on a hot rod. Holding the polisher over your shoulders and head all day(two days in this case) it gets real real heavy. You said the other guys charged more than you and it didn't work out for them. Why will it work out for you earning less? just trying to point out a few things you may not have considered. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Some nice rigs there. With scaffolding and a 4 man team it sounds reasonable. Sill tons of work but if it's rewarding why not?