autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Attention all new businesses and soon to be businesses

I can only assume it is indicative of the season, but there are a serious influx of new threads generated about new business plans, pricing, procedures, marketing, and so forth. I have recently had an experience that I would like to share with you and how little things can make a big bad thing... loss of time and money.

Over the past couple years I have thrown up the idea of getting a sprinkler system for my lawn, my current setup which consists of a garden hose and a "bar-type" sprinkler works but is annoying as I have to position it, then move it somewhere else, etc. I forget a times, am too tired other times and its generally a pain-in-the-butt. I think I might have the ability to install a system myself but am a little uneasy about it since I will be tapping into my service line going into my house and I need to be very confident about the sealing of my joints in the pipe-work. I have first decided to see what it would cost to have one professionally done.

I have a lawn service that comes out and takes care of the fertilizer, weed control, etc. They also install irrigation systems so one day I decided to fill out a little section on their invoice that doubled as a marketing tool to get people to give them leads on possible extra services. After 2 weeks I did not receive a phone call so I called them. I received a lame excuse and was told I would be called soon. Almost at the end of business hours the guy calls me and tells me that he would be out later on that week or the beginning of next. Its now been 2 weeks from his latter time frame and still no call.

After believing I gave this company a fair amount of time and tries I decided if they did not want my additional revenue they must be doing pretty good for themselves and therefore I can help out someone else in this rough economy. 2 days ago I searched craigslist hoping to find a "little guy" that I know would work his butt off and who would be on top of his game, as apposed to a larger company who might only like to respond to commercial and larger jobs. I called someone and had to leave a message, he called back within the hour, I missed it but when I called back he answered. He even left the table where he was eating lunch at the restaurant to take my call. So far, so good. He told me he could be at my place in 2 hours, and even confirmed the time so there would be no mistake or miscommunication. He ended up showing up over an hour late, no apology and no excuse (ie car trouble, bowl movement problems, whatever), to someone like me who is time conscious, this is a big red flag. He was there so I figured I would let that slide and see what he had to say. We did a "walk-though" of my house and everything he said sounded great. Afterward he told me he would have a quote for me first thing in the morning. Morning came and went and I did not receive a quote until 11:30PM that night. The quote was for about double of what I was expecting as well. Needless to say I returned an email stating that I would not be using his services.

Would I have had a different response to that quote if that guy showed up on time and delivered as promised? EHHH maybe, doubtfully, but maybe. If he was slightly higher I would say yes but being double the price I expected there was no chance this guy had me. However, the point I am making is this both companies left a bad first impression in my mouth. They set themselves up for failure before they even met me, one still has not done anything and might actually loose me as a client for what they currently do for a lack of support from them. The other could not even deliver on a timely quote so that I could get them to perform the service. If they could not deliver when I was paying them, what would happen with follow-up service or warranty work when I might not be paying them.

Be conscious of your initial impressions, initial contact and following-up. These are some of the most simplest things a company can do that will make them sink or swim. Treat your customers good and they will keep coming back, treat them bad and you might as well delete their number out of your phone because unless you offer something unique chances are they are going somewhere else.
    Why was the Energizer Bunny arrested?... He was charged with battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Attention all new businesses and soon to be businesses

^^^Very well written...And: Sound Advice you have imparted here, my good sir!!^^^

(Sorry you had such awful experiences with theses "companies'...Not the right way to: Run a Railroad, IMHO.)

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

^^ Its a shame, down here in this area situations like this are rampant. I wish I had the skills or the confidence in a craft/ or any sort of skilled labor. Someone with the correct mindset could make a killing out here with all the laxidasical business owners and companies that promise and do not deliver.

In any event, I may just fall back on the old chiche... "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

Post Thanks / Like

Preach on brotha! This past week, on another forum that I am on, this guy comes onto a forum showing off his work. Being local to me, I PMed him about what other type of work does he do. I explained to him that me and several other friends are looking for a reliable person to take work to. Instead of shipping off our stuff to get worked on because all the other people in the area will not get back to us. And on most VBB sites, you know when the person reads the PM. Well he reads it and decides not to respond. I hit him up again in a week and nothing.

It's surprising to me that a new company just starting out will just ignore potential clients that is basically throwing money at you. Even if he says he can not work on our stuff would have been the professional thing to do. But he decides to read it and not answer. I just am going to file him away with the rest of the deadbeats that will only work on your stuff when he wants to. Business must be so good that he doesn't need our money.

opie_7afe

irrigation plumbing is the EASY part, running the wiring and hooking up the wiring to the control board and all that is where it gets difficult, ive done a few jobs with irrigation but i have not done the electrical/control board setup besides running wires. with plumbing pipes they fit together fairly tight so all you need is the correct adhesive and apply it to both parts you are joining and do a little twist so it releases air bubbles and make it bond better. if you need any help with the plumbing part let me know, but control board maybe someone here has experience with them....and be sure to get grease caps for all wiring connections.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ Your exactly right NFA! On a totally different subject I recently applied for a position close to where you live in Wadsworth. I did not get a call back but just thought it was kinda coincidental you are from Houston. =)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie_7afe View Post
    irrigation plumbing is the EASY part, running the wiring and hooking up the wiring to the control board and all that is where it gets difficult, ive done a few jobs with irrigation but i have not done the electrical/control board setup besides running wires. with plumbing pipes they fit together fairly tight so all you need is the correct adhesive and apply it to both parts you are joining and do a little twist so it releases air bubbles and make it bond better. if you need any help with the plumbing part let me know, but control board maybe someone here has experience with them....and be sure to get grease caps for all wiring connections.
    Thank you buddy. I have done some pipe replacement with pvc and the stronger stuff pcpvc or whatever it is. I need to call the city and get my lines marked, etc. If I have any questions I will ask. My biggest concern is head placement, solenoid types, and water pressure testing, etc. basically all of it which is why i was considering paying someone to do it. It looks like rain bird offers a free service if you get some graph paper to map out your area and tell them what your water rate is... so much for needing a professional.

Post Thanks / Like

What are you guys talking about cementing pipes? Sprinklers have been on flexible PE pipe for 15 years or more, unless you have some special codes down there in the south. The connections are by crimp, you get a roll of tubing, and make a slit and push it down into your lawn (the pros have a machine that makes the slit and pushes the tubing in as they roll it along).

The electrical is low voltage so you don't need to be licensed to do that, and all the valving is pretty much common sense (one main valve, one valve for each zone). The place where you will need the pro is the line voltage electrical connections (although usually they just run a transformer plug to an existing electrical outlet) and the plumbing connection into your househould line (they usually like to come right from where the water comes into the house).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_10 View Post
    ^^ Its a shame, down here in this area situations like this are rampant. I wish I had the skills or the confidence in a craft/ or any sort of skilled labor. Someone with the correct mindset could make a killing out here with all the laxidasical business owners and companies that promise and do not deliver.

In any event, I may just fall back on the old chiche... "If you want something done right, do it yourself."
    Great thread Mike. Actually heard from a former customer last night on the very same subject. Only this time I was the offending party.
    Historically, the south has been described as having a prepondurance of said business models.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

I can put you in touch with someone who handles large clients and small businesses if interested. He is in Hilton Head but services clients outside of the area.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"