autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Ever damage someone's car?

Anyone ever damage someone's car with a rotary, flex or PC or a product? Like burn the clear on an edge/lip, chip paint, damage leather seats........etc. If so how did you handle it? Just curious (bc I have a small side business and don't have insurance) in case a future problem should arise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by inyadreems View Post
    Anyone ever damage someone's car with a rotary, flex or PC or a product? Like burn the clear on an edge/lip, chip paint, damage leather seats........etc. If so how did you handle it? Just curious (bc I have a small side business and don't have insurance) in case a future problem should arise.
    Burned through a piece of paint on a bumper...edit - the paint just ripped off of the bumper right when I hit it with a black pad.

Told the guy what happen, and it cost me $200 for a respray of the bumper

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    2007 BMW Z4M Coupe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ever damage someone's car?

The best advice is clearly to get insurance...

But, if you do not have insurance you just have to accept the fact that if you screw up, you must be ready to pay.

Post Thanks / Like

While learning new techniques or tools I'm sure most of us have caused damaged to our own or a clients vehicle.

My first polishing job for money I wrinkled the paint on a plastic bumper of a hyundai. The whole bumper needed repainted before I touched it, but being new to a rotary at the time it got too hot in that spot, speed wasn't right, etc. Customer wasn't upset since it needed to be repainted and I knocked some money off of the price for him.

Also I have ripped a floor mat and a plastic bolt cover from under a drivers seat. Both I fully admitted my mistake to the owners and offered to pay to get new ones. Both customers refused to take me up on the offer and told me not to worry about it.

I have operated all last year and this year with no insurance. I was only operating part time up until June. Now I'm operating full time and do a lot more cars, so the need to have it there in the event that I mess something up I'd like to be covered.

Post Thanks / Like

Burned the edge of the LF fender on a 77 Vette! The owner told me not to sweat it! The paint was in very bad shape to begin with, and the mark was only about 1" long! I told the owner to keep the money for the detail, but he refused!

Burned a door on a Cross Country Volvo! Don't know what went wrong! It was right in the center of the door! The owner was a friend, but still was bummed out! He refused to have me pay, but let me do his and his wifes car (Volvo) for nothing!

My friend with the Volvo died 2 months ago My friend with the Vette I still see! One things for sure, you must OWN IT!
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Mike Phillips

I have an article for that...

Your Signature - Don't leave one...

Mistakes happen. I always tell people to hire a detailer that's made mistakes because a detailer that's made mistakes knows what not to do...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Mistakes happen. I always tell people to hire a detailer that's made mistakes because a detailer that's made mistakes knows what not to do...

Ain't that the truth!

Post Thanks / Like

Just started a thread about my damage to a customers car: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tml#post577895

In all cases it's worthwhile to have insurance.