autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Working out of home versus small shop?

While putting together a business blueprint, I have been asking for feedback. I got it and it has raised my curiosity...to the point of wanting to get your feedback.

The initial design to go with the name of the company had a faded picture that was, in my opinion, very nice. One person said it was "too nice" and should be more of a laymen type of design. Most detailer web sites have nice cars shown. I don't work on exotic cars (yet ). I work on daily drivers and the daily driver folks say they want to see a site that relates to them...a site with cars like theirs. Is there value in that?

Another point was where the business is being operated. Many have asked where I have my shop and I tell them I work from home (aka, out of the garage). When I told a guy that I worked out of my home, he had a 'disappointed' look on his face and the conversation immediately felt like he had already determined I was not the right guy to detail his car....like....ohhhh, another guy working from home. He must not be very good. It was a bit sad because it did not seem to matter what I said...his mind was already made up.
    Detailing is not my primary source of income and I am not in a position to go out and get a shop (or build a new garage out back).

Why is there an astigmatism when a person says they work from their home? One guy told me that the web page looked "too professional" and left the impression that they would be pulling up to some exotic garage to have the work done. No offense, but I have seen a lot of shops and it really does not seem to matter what kind of shop...it is the reputation of the detailer. So, how do we combat that? Is there a way to build a web site that let's people know this is not some million dollar operation in a million dollar facility?
    How many professional detailers work from their home (whether stand alone shop or attached garage)?
    Thanks for any feedback on the matter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Working out of home versus small shop?

When working out of home (in neighborhoods) be aware of the neighbors, water restrictions, and rules regarding business types out of the home. One pesky neighbor and you allowing run-off into sewers or breaking an HOA rule and youve then got the cost of a fine or attorney to deal with ....

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Tell Mr Sad Face you will get a commercial shop if he is willing to pay you double
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Tell Mr Sad Face you will get a commercial shop if he is willing to pay you double
    while a valid question, it doesn't get to the root of a primary concern...is working for the home less professional than having a shop? how many of you work from the home? why does there seem to be a negative light on working from the home or am I just delusional?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by highgrade View Post
    while a valid question, it doesn't get to the root of a primary concern...is working for the home less professional than having a shop? how many of you work from the home? why does there seem to be a negative light on working from the home or am I just delusional?

Yes, it does shed a negative light to some ppl. You will seem like a fly-by-night operation to them. With me, I don't care one way or another if they choose me over a brick and mortar store. I will tell them to stop being a pain in my ass

I explain that to operate a brick and mortar store it requires VOLUME work, and lots of paid labor/rent/utilities. If they hate my price now, their going to double hate me if I have to go through this unnecessary expense just to pasify their desires

Every car I work on gets my undivided attention from conception to completion. No one else is performing work on their car other then me

Ask them if they know anything about art? Picaso and Rembrandt didn't work out of a Hobby Lobby
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

I think most people think if your working out of your home, it not 100% legit. Say if you own a shop or a real garage, most of them will have insurance just incase anything happens.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Yes, it does shed a negative light to some ppl. You will seem like a fly-by-night operation to them. With me, I don't care one way or another if they choose me over a brick and mortar store. I will tell them to stop being a pain in my ass

I explain that to operate a brick and mortar store it requires VOLUME work, and lots of paid labor/rent/utilities. If they hate my price now, their going to double hate me if I have to go through this unnecessary expense just to pasify their desires

Every car I work on gets my undivided attention from conception to completion. No one else is performing work on their car other then me

Ask them if they know anything about art? Picaso and Rembrandt didn't work out of a Hobby Lobby
    Thanks! I really appreciate your comments. They strike a positive chord with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slickooz View Post
    I think most people think if your working out of your home, it not 100% legit. Say if you own a shop or a real garage, most of them will have insurance just incase anything happens.
    additionally, it is not hard to pull out a biz license to show that i take it seriously. insurance no matter what makes sense imo

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I really appreciate your comments. They strike a positive chord with me.
    My wife says I'm like a bull in the china shop. I'm not exactly sure if thats a good thing or not, but it's always worked best for me. I'm a firm beleiver in cutting to the chase

Post Thanks / Like

I work on daily drivers and the daily driver folks say they want to see a site that relates to them...a site with cars like theirs. Is there value in that?
    Your customers are answering that question for you.

Another point was where the business is being operated. Many have asked where I have my shop and I tell them I work from home (aka, out of the garage). When I told a guy that I worked out of my home, he had a 'disappointed' look on his face and the conversation immediately felt like he had already determined I was not the right guy to detail his car....like....ohhhh, another guy working from home.
    Some guys on here have better set-ups in their home then I've seen out in "the real world". Maybe try this, make yours look as professional as possible (if it's not already), take a picture to show people when they ask.

Why is there an astigmatism when
    a person says they work from their home?
    It's funny especially when a majority of people I talk to wish they could work from home.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast