autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slimnib View Post
    Your neighbors may present a problem with a home detailing business.
    People carry on a detailing business next door does not make for a good
    resale value.
    I haven't had an issue yet. None of my neighbors care. And it's not like I have cars coming in and out all day. It's 2 or maybe 3 a day. When I work from my home. Lately I've been mobile a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How long did it take - business

As I am fairly new to the Austin, TX area (28 years in the business though) it has taken less than 2 years to take my company from a few cars during the week to having 3 full time employees and one part timer. I personally oversee or am involved with all of the work being performed as well as working for my preferred customers and referrals.

Work is abundant with 4 corporate accounts as well as a single country club that employs our services 3 days per week. The majority of the accounts we have secured were due directly to past customers presenting our company name to those same corporate heads.

I am new to the mobile detailing end of the business here in Austin, however it seems the very best way to get your name out and make the most of what business there is to be had. It also causes there to be nearly no barriers preventing you from being able to conduct business just about anywhere.

At this time, regular residential/public detailing is averaging about 3k per month. The accounts added together are averaging $7.5k - $9k per month. Again, this is without any real advertising on our part outside of our website. We use our personal vehicles to tow the trailers and have no obvious signage. Word of mouth is ABSOLUTELY it.

The accounts are your bread & butter when things begin to slow down in the winter months so secure them if at all possible. Great employees/staff, equipment and overall work quality is what will cause your company to grow in a very short time.
    Shade Tree Auto Detailing
    Austin, Texas & surrounding areas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shade Tree View Post
    As I am fairly new to the Austin, TX area (28 years in the business though) it has taken less than 2 years to take my company from a few cars during the week to having 3 full time employees and one part timer. I personally oversee or am involved with all of the work being performed as well as working for my preferred customers and referrals.

Work is abundant with 4 corporate accounts as well as a single country club that employs our services 3 days per week. The majority of the accounts we have secured were due directly to past customers presenting our company name to those same corporate heads.

I am new to the mobile detailing end of the business here in Austin, however it seems the very best way to get your name out and make the most of what business there is to be had. It also causes there to be nearly no barriers preventing you from being able to conduct business just about anywhere.

At this time, regular residential/public detailing is averaging about 3k per month. The accounts added together are averaging $7.5k - $9k per month. Again, this is without any real advertising on our part outside of our website. We use our personal vehicles to tow the trailers and have no obvious signage. Word of mouth is ABSOLUTELY it.

The accounts are your bread & butter when things begin to slow down in the winter months so secure them if at all possible. Great employees/staff, equipment and overall work quality is what will cause your company to grow in a very short time.
    Very Inspiring! Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Precision Pros View Post
    Very Inspiring! Thanks!!

Absolutely.

By the way, I long ago kissed my social life goodbye with this business venture. Have a great girlfriend to be social with though.
    Shade Tree Auto Detailing
    Austin, Texas & surrounding areas

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I started out 38 years ago. When I started the majority of people did not even know what detailing was so it was a much harder sell. If you mentioned detailing they would think that you pinstriped cars. 99% of my work back then was all dealer work at $35.00 a car. Today we do no dealer work and we average 10 times more per vehicle. To answer your question The cost of living was alot less back then so our dealer work was more than enough to carry us. Today we never advertise we are booked 30-40 days out with a waiting list to get in sooner. So by the grace of God and hard work we are truly blessed.To someone starting out today you should probally figure a good two years of hard work and pounding the pavement before you can make a decent living.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12