autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mobile detailing with a partner?

Hey, to the mobile guys, have you tried working with a partner? do you find it more efficient?

I'm starting up a business this summer with a friend of mine. We both have worked as detailers at a shop a couple years back, but usually on separate cars.

I would imagine people appreciate having their car back a bit quicker. And having another set of eyes to check the car over can't hurt.

The thing is, I've been spending far more time and money working on the business and might just try to do it on my own...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile detailing with a partner?

Working with friends is a bad idea IMO. Business can turn best friends into mortal enemies if it goes bad. I would make sure you both have the exact same ideals and goals for the business. Also get everything in writing and have it signed. That way it won't end in a he said she said sort of thing.

I've known my best friend for over 20 years and I wouldn't go into business with him if you paid me. Its not worth our friendship.

As to detailing, you may get finished more quickly, but you will also only get half of the profit. Not to mention someone will usually end up working harder or doing more work. I just don't think there are enough benifits to outweigh the negatives.

Post Thanks / Like

You need a helper, not a partner
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    You need a helper, not a partner
    Dirt-B-Gone Mobile Detailing
    www.HandWashAndWax.com
    facebook.com/DBGMobileDetailing John Wells

Post Thanks / Like
    The best way to lose that friend is to go into business with him.. I agree that you should get a helper..

Post Thanks / Like

too many negatives in a friend partnership. Go off on your own

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, so many haters. But I see what they talk about ALL the time.

Partnerships ARE a good idea, if you lay out the ground rules ahead of time. Your work load is less, your stress level is diminished, and your productivity increased.

I run a partnership with my brother. We both understand what we are trying to accomplish and are both willing to sacrifice to get there. Greed is the killer of partnerships.

Goals, jobs, plans all must be set in stone not by mouth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rafimos View Post
    Wow, so many haters. But I see what they talk about ALL the time.

Partnerships ARE a good idea, if you lay out the ground rules ahead of time. Your work load is less, your stress level is diminished, and your productivity increased.

I run a partnership with my brother. We both understand what we are trying to accomplish and are both willing to sacrifice to get there. Greed is the killer of partnerships.

Goals, jobs, plans all must be set in stone not by mouth.

Having a partnership between relatives is a totally different beast then a partnership between friends IMO

Even between family though, I've seen relationships go south. Just ask my friend whose family member embezelled 300k
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Flash,
    I understand the difference and this is not a first partnership for me. However the advise is sound. Know your role in the partnership. Set boundaries and job roles. Set things in stone vs going off a friends good word. This will make any partnership run more efficiently.

You can not 50/50 a partnership without eventually stepping on toes or hurting someones feelings.

From the original post it sounds like he is investing all the money and time and that is not a good partnership. You have to have a partner in line with you instead of wanting to ride your shirt tails to success, family or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rafimos View Post
    Flash,
    I understand the difference and this is not a first partnership for me. However the advise is sound. Know your role in the partnership. Set boundaries and job roles. Set things in stone vs going off a friends good word. This will make any partnership run more efficiently.

You can not 50/50 a partnership without eventually stepping on toes or hurting someones feelings.

From the original post it sounds like he is investing all the money and time and that is not a good partnership. You have to have a partner in line with you instead of wanting to ride your shirt tails to success, family or not.
    I'm not totally against having investors/partners. If your dealing with a large sum of money, its the only way to go. Any partnership I've been in, what I've found to work best, is to have someone who thinks totally different from me. Some areas of the business they are stronger in (knowledge) and some areas I am stronger in

As long as you have a common goal, thats all that really matters IMO

Now, having said that....someone wanting to start a mobile detailing business I feel would be better suited to be a sole proprietorship. There is only so much pie to serve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast