autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mobile Guys that offer washes only

Just curious, I have seen a lot of mobile guys that offer wash only packages and they are charging like 20-30 bucks or something like that. I was interested if that is even worth it? I would think that it is not even worth the effort to leave the house for something like that unless you are doing like at least 4 cars at a time at the same location. I can see if you are detailing and someone comes up and asks for a wash while you are already set up so sure an extra 20 for a quick wash is cool. Or even if it is for a neighbor or something like that. But to drive anywhere and have to set up?

I was wondering since my cheapest wash is 70 (small car) and the first 5 miles from my home is included. This includes a through wash, wheels and tires cleaned, interior vac and wipe the dash. TOTAL time (including setup and clean up) is 1.5 hours so I can make a quick buck and it doesn't take a lot of time in my day.

Just trying to get some input from you guys!
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile Guys that offer washes only

I don't advertise wash only packages but i will do them.. I go $40/car 50/small suv $60 big truck/suv. Most don't bite and that's okay cause once they call I can offer a wax also for $20 more and that usually makes a better value for them. it's gotta be worth it and as long as i'm at $50/hour i'm okay with it.. usually I will do washes if it's gonna be on a weekly or Bi-weekly basis.. I have one company that I started with a full detail on their 3500 sprinter and have since been doing weekly washes at $40 each.. it's 1.5 miles from me and takes 30-45 minutes to do so it's not bad.. easy grunt work. I do waxes every 4 months for $50 more and have also picked up a ton of work from people in the area so that's a hidden bonus.. but if someone calls and wants me to just do a wash, then they pay the above prices. my experience tells me that if they are going to be repeat customers, then they usually start with a full detail then washes but if they want a wash the first time, I usually don't see them again...

when someone says "$50 for a car wash???" I say, "no, $50 for MY car wash" there is a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

forgot to mention, sometimes I really do enjoy washes... but only when it's multiple like you were talking about... for example.... last Thursday I went to a school that wanted me to do washes for their teachers as an appreciation day.. I did 7 cars total. some were cars and some were SUVs. I set up my shade and got setup and they brought me out the keys... I cranked my Ipod and got busy... got there at 9am and rolled out at 2:30 with $320. not bad for washing cars... I went home driving by the fixed location $10 car wash places attached to the 7-11s. all the while thinking I love this business and love being mobile!!

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing what you guys can get for a wash. Down here in Northern Mexico $70 will get you a complete interior & exterior detail on a Suburban!
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Amazing what you guys can get for a wash. Down here in Northern Mexico $70 will get you a complete interior & exterior detail on a Suburban!
    i actually laughed out loud when i read that

Post Thanks / Like

During the week I have my truck at several business parks where I charge $20 for a wash. I can do about 20-30 cars, which is much more lucritive than detailing. While I'm there, I may get a detail, or get a new client for a detail. I have pulled in almost $1K in a single day doing washes. I once got a $50 tip for a $20 wash... On the weekend I have a static location that I do details and washes. There are purest here that frown on doing washes, thats cool, but they do pay the bills.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a market for everything.

You can make money doing 40+ hour correction jobs and/or 40 minute washes.
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Pensacola & Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

If you can get continuous detail or correction work thats cool. People tend to get their car washed every week or so, that seems to be more dependable. I get about 8 or so details a month, vs 250+ washes. When it comes to washing, it's more of a production thing, not spending 40 mins on a car for $20. More like 4 cars an hour. I have a team of 3, me doing details. 2 guys washing. I would love to be able to do High End details, but I've not been able to make that happen yet, so, a washing we will do...

Post Thanks / Like
    I mix it up, I have set days for washes and set days for details, I have parking lots that I go to every week and just do washes, and sometimes a wax, it's nice to kinda mix it up I think
    A passion for perfection!

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to figure out the $20 wash myself. One thing that kills me the most I think is I always overdue things. Like I see a spot in the seat because they may say something etc. Its a bad habit I need to break first!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast