autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RV pricing?

Post Thanks / Like

RV pricing?

Okay guys, got a pricing question. I've never done an RV before. My GF's dad wants me to do a wash and wax on theirs. Its a 35 ft 2008, don't know the brand but you get the idea. It's not heavily soiled, and is fairly clean. Is there anything special chemical and wax wise needed to do this? Also I have no idea where to start price wise on this thing. Next, after this big guy is onto his vette
    2008 honda cbr1000rr
    2005 mustang gt
    2000 f350

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RV pricing?

The key words there are "girlfriends" "dad". That might confuse the pricing issue some.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Wash & wax would be 10 to 15 dollars per foot. I use Meguiars Marine grade products on RV'S & boats. Hope this helps Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks jim. Cee Dog, her dad is a fairly wealthy guy, which I think would have no problem with the pricing issue. As he has managed his business pretty well, and continues to do so.
    2008 honda cbr1000rr
    2005 mustang gt
    2000 f350

Mike Phillips

I've detailed 2 RV's in my life, that was enough.

Lots of real estate, lots of work...

• RV's with gel-coat finishes will oxidize
    • RV's with actual paint will get swirls and scratches

The goal for either will be to wash and then use a one-step cleaner/wax and hopefully with a DA Polisher.

For an oxidized finish you'll want to use a strong cleaner/wax so you can remove the oxidation and leave behind a clear finish that's protected. For a painted RV you can match the aggressiveness or lack thereof for the cleaner/wax to the condition of the paint but you still want to use a one-step product unless you have lots of time to invest into dedicated steps.

1. Wash
    2. Clean or correct the paint (remove swirls, scratches and water spots)
    3. Polish
    4. Protect

Keep in mind that each step requires you to then use your arms to wipe the entire RV down to remove leftover residue.

The best of all worlds is a light colored, painted RV in good shape that you can simply wash and then machine apply a light cleaning or non-cleaning polymer sealant.

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I've detailed 2 RV's in my life, that was enough.

Lots of real estate, lots of work...

• RV's with gel-coat finishes will oxidize
    • RV's with actual paint will get swirls and scratches
    The goal for either will be to wash and then use a one-step cleaner/wax and hopefully with a DA Polisher.

For an oxidized finish you'll want to use a strong cleaner/wax so you can remove the oxidation and leave behind a clear finish that's protected. For a painted RV you can match the aggressiveness or lack thereof for the cleaner/wax to the condition of the paint but you still want to use a one-step product unless you have lots of time to invest into dedicated steps.

1. Wash
    2. Clean or correct the paint (remove swirls, scratches and water spots)
    3. Polish
    4. Protect
    Keep in mind that each step requires you to then use your arms to wipe the entire RV down to remove leftover residue.

The best of all worlds is a light colored, painted RV in good shape that you can simply wash and then machine apply a light cleaning or non-cleaning polymer sealant.

Hmm well that helps me some...I wish I woulda had more of a price to go off of before I bid my guy today...dont do like me and underbid Southern Stang, especially if he's loaded lol! (just kiddin).

The guy I'm doin has a 31' and some change 5th wheel. He didnt want the roof done (i'm not sure if thats normal or not) but he wanted a wash/wax and rims polished. Only Exterior work but its a pretty big boy. I only bid it at $150 (yes yes...i know lol) but its my first one and i'm going to make sure to let him know we cut him a great deal BECAUSE he's our first, and to please not give prices to anyone he recommends us to...as i'm sure the job is worth at least $100 more (maybe he'll tip? lol)

So is there a way we can tell if its clear coat or gel coat. If he's unsure as to what it is...will a Megs Marine Wax as Jim suggested be safe even if it does end up turning out to be a clear coat?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Stang View Post
    Thanks jim. Cee Dog, her dad is a fairly wealthy guy, which I think would have no problem with the pricing issue. As he has managed his business pretty well, and continues to do so.
    In that case its a wonderfull thing!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Gel-coat will be on a fiberglass RV or boat.
    Actual paint will be on an aluminum or some sort of metal exterior RV.

You'll know what you are dealing with as soon as you see it.

Post Thanks / Like

$10-15/foot is a bout right. 3 weeks ago i detailed an RV (wash and wax) and it kicked my @$$. i used mequiars marine RV wax. it smelled good and was easy to work with. still unsure if i would do another one. lots of real estate and little cover from the sun. drink and bring h20.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I did A 30 FT 5th wheel today and charged $450.
    RV`s and boats are a lot of work and if you intend to do it right then charge accordingly. Rarely can you just wash and wax a gelcoat RV unless it is done very regularly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast