autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: Charging

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Charging

Hi,

I was reading some other posts about charging and had me thinking about how I charge personally and wanted some opinions.

I currently only offer basic detail which is:

wash
    wheel wash
    complete vacuum interior
    detail spray wipe down all interior pieces
    window clean
    spray wax

i charge 50$an hour. I also have add ons like:

handwax
    Clay bar
    bug and tar treatment
    black plastic restoration
    leather conditioner

i charge anywhere from $25-$35 for add ons

i plan on doing some polishing, carpet shampooing, and ceramic coatings once I feel more comfortable with those.

Every car I’ve done takes me about 3 hours for a complete basic detail which is right kind of where I want to be per ticket which is around $150-200 per car.

I haven’t had any complaints about prices but just wanted to see what anyone here thought or has any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Charging

You don’t say where you’re located, I would put that in your signature. Good detailers in South Florida are $65 an hour.
    Glen -

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as you are getting customers and repeat customers, then id say your just fine.

The biggest thig i have figured out is...you need to kinda check what other detailer prices/ package offers that are in your area and go from there. And you have to figure out your customer base.

In my area nobody is gonna pay 150-200 for a quick 3 hour handy and vac/wipe job.

And im my eyes, cleaning and conditioning leather seats should be part of that package...not an add on. Its different if you are "restoring" the leather

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

5. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah ok maybe I’ll start including that in my detail. I was surprised at how many people don’t mind just a basic detail. I’ve been booked that last couple weekends (I’m only doing weekends due to a full time job) and people are happy just having a clean car.

From what I’ve seen people don’t mind paying $150-$200 for a basic detail and even give me tips. But I also really try to stay within 3 hours for everything listed which is sort of difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    As long as you are getting customers and repeat customers, then id say your just fine.

The biggest thig i have figured out is...you need to kinda check what other detailer prices/ package offers that are in your area and go from there. And you have to figure out your customer base.

In my area nobody is gonna pay 150-200 for a quick 3 hour handy and vac/wipe job.

And im my eyes, cleaning and conditioning leather seats should be part of that package...not an add on. Its different if you are "restoring" the leather

7. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where are you located ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post

If you market correctly you can create a market for anything.
    Make them see the value of your work, and they'll be bought in your service.

No one in my area really does gloss enhancements...(quick 1-2 section passes with compound and finishing pad)
    They go from detail to 1 step..leaving a gap in their service offerings..
    Heck, i started offering a service for wipe on clear..

10. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My prices need updating due ti the whole covid and post inflation but.
    Original prices were based on research on what other local companies charged ontop of what they included in that service vs wjat I included.

130 is starting price for exterior
    Polish job 250
    1 step correction 450+
    2 step 650+

Depending on service things like clay,fallout, panel prep,window coating etc are upsells

Switch to rinseless to make yourself more efficient.

Interior starts at 150 and goes up via upsell or upcharge (oet hair, biohazards)

Upsells can be a coating, extraction, ozone or drive pur, etc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post
    No one in my area really does gloss enhancements...(quick 1-2 section passes with compound and finishing pad)
    They go from detail to 1 step..leaving a gap in their service offerings..
    A gloss enhancement... i would concider that to be a aio. Not looking for correction, just a quick cleanup of the paint. Buzz around the vehicle and not have to take the time to tape off rubber and all that since an aio wont stain, a short time later you are done and can add some extra protection afterwards if you so desire or leave it at that.

So then if you are doing a one step compound or polish job and the customer does not want to pay for coating....what then is your choice of lsp to offer?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m located in central Texas, austin area

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    Where are you located ?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Dang your prices are a lot higher than mine lol. I do a complete outside and inside detail for $150 with no add ons since it takes me about 3 hours to do generally. If it’s more or less then I adjust accordingly. I want to start doing paint correction and ceramic coatings but I was to start off sort of basic. Do you have any recommendations or advice?

I’m guessing a 1 step compound then polish? Then ceramic coat?

I already have a couple clients that are interested in getting this done with me, but we’re just waiting until I get the equipment and coatings.

Also, what prices do places normally charge for something like that? Once of my clients has a very nice MB amg and the paint is decent. I just detailed it and did a clay bar treatment so it’s not bad. Can I just go right into 1 step and polish, isopropyl wipe, then apply ceramic coatings?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post
    My prices need updating due ti the whole covid and post inflation but.
    Original prices were based on research on what other local companies charged ontop of what they included in that service vs wjat I included.

130 is starting price for exterior
    Polish job 250
    1 step correction 450+
    2 step 650+

Depending on service things like clay,fallout, panel prep,window coating etc are upsells

Switch to rinseless to make yourself more efficient.

Interior starts at 150 and goes up via upsell or upcharge (oet hair, biohazards)

Upsells can be a coating, extraction, ozone or drive pur, etc