autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Presenting High-Ticket Offers to Affluent Clients by Dan Tran

Hello Geeks,

In a different thread that I posted about my 2020 year in review, I made mentions of the how I now produce exterior work almost exclusively with my business. And at the (informal) request of Mike Phillips, I decided that I wanted to share this with the AGO community.

Please keep in mind that what I state here works for me and may not work for you. Truly, some of these points are conventional and some are unconventional. So it goes like this...

Often I see people starting brand new detailing business and one of the first question people will ask will pertain to how much to charge. One thing I would have told a new person was to perform a competition analysis and to keep your prices close to theirs. Since the beginning of my 2019 season, my reasoning on the matter all changed and now realized that I was given poor advice.

My objective has always been to target higher-end clients. In the world, I broke it down to four categories: Cheap / Difficult / Sophisticated / Affluent

Cheap are people who want the wolrd for nothing.
    Difficult people are not necessarily cheap, but want to make thing difficult and dont see the value in what you do.
    Sophisticated individuals know exactly what they want and typically require time to make a final decision. But once they do, they tend to really stick to it.
    Affluent persons dont buy based on price, they spend with emotion. They spend because they can afford it.

Given the four choices, I selected to chase the last two types, but how?

I wasn't afraid to raise my prices to the point of doubling & tripling tem. I see value in what I do and think I deserve it wholeheartly. I have a lot of confidence with what I do, spent lots of time behind my tools.

Over the past year, my clients have moved in state from across the country and all around. They all have sent their vehicles to some of the nations best and well known detailers at one point in time. Esoteric in Ohio, Clarity Auto Detailing in TX to name a couple. I now found myself no longer competing locally, I was now competing on a national level. I needed to make sure my results were on point...all the time.

I used to charge a minimum of $600 for a small vehicle paint correction. That same option now starts at $1500. The results? I found that it was actually easier to sell at that cost vs. the old cost. It doesnt stop there. You need to learn how to look in a mirror to practice asking for that amount with total confidence. Otherwise, whats the point?! I got to the point of asking for money like its no big deal. Not '$1500 dollars' but 'It's only $1500'. See the difference?

Now why on earth would I not price competitively and locally, but rather nationally? We all pay the same price on goods. If you install Opti-Coat Pro Plus in a small unknown town and only charge a $1300 and a well known detailer on the west coast charges $3300, as an example, guess what? They both pay the same in cost for the product. Plus, with higher margin, if I wanted to afford premium detailing products because I feel like it. I didn't want to feel restricted and cheap out on products. Premium products doesnt make you the best detailer. Just enhances the experience. Anway...to each their own.

Additionally, higher margin allows me to add value to what I do. If I am charging $1300, its still good money. Lets say it takes me 20 hours to complete a coating including a multi-step paint correction, I will average $65 per hour. Which will cover a good living cost. But I need to still charge $100 for a windhsield coating.

On the otherhand, if I charge $3300, I can toss in a $100 windshield coating at no extra cost to make the package more appealing. Why not, their first maintenance detail worth $180 is on the house...giving them a taste (free sample) of my maintenance plan. Plus I am now averaging $165 per hour. Makes sense so far?

I always present prospects with atleast 3 options. Contrast pricings and offers. Good, Better, and Best options. Based on my experience, they almost always go for the middle option.

Other way to attract affluent clients is to learn how to speak their language. the number word you can start using in your talk-off is the word, 'best'. "This is my best package" compared to "you want a paint correction?" Get out of your comfort zone and expand on the subject. Again, learn how they speak. One of the last package I sold was for a luxury coating that includes a paint correction. Never did I say it was a paint correction topped with a ceramic coating. Buzz words can work, but in my experience. I moved away from them. I changed my thinking on the matter. Again some may agree and some may not. It worked well for me.

The last point I'll make is this: Do you know what its like to write a check to a service provider or a product for $3000? Why do you pay $3000 for a Macbook Pro when a $700 Laptop can do similar things (depending on your goals). but you get the point. Why do people shop at Wholefoods, or drink Starbucks, or sip on Whistlepig? Get into that mindframe. Those who understand how to spend money will make money from affluent clients.

This is a forum, full of many different people and different opinions. You are welcome to comment on this, but this worked for me. Just dont judge me. Thank you for reading.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Presenting High-Ticket Offers to Affluent Clients by Dan Tran

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post
    You are welcome to comment on this...
    Thank you; I will.

•RE: The above commentary on “affluent”...
    -Sounds like a bunch of “effluent” to me.

{Nothing like pigeonholing people: amiright?}

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Moose,

Great stuff.

When I was selling to grocery store managers, you had 30 seconds to create interest and close the deal. You used the industry jargon they knew, the margin they'll make and how many "sales" in the display unit... simple. You closed the sale by asking when they want delivery. 1 minute was all you needed.

4. Thanks Dan Tran, Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Dan Tran, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Dan...

Thanks for taking the time to share...

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

6. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Likes Dan Tran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.
    This is my goal.
    High-end, exclusive detailing.
    Quality over quantity. Make it so.

8. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Likes Dan Tran liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When I first reading the heading, I was expecting to read a bunch of garbage, insulting people of wealth and means. I was pleasantly surprised that there was no class warfare in your post.
    Allan

10. Thanks Dan Tran, Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The first time I had a prospect of a high end client (finance guy with a Ferrari addiction) I asked a friend who runs a high performance machine shop building race engines for some advice and he told me to raise my prices. He said clients like this will see right through a “cheap” detailer and recognize the value they can get at a premium price. After looking over the guys cars I gave him my estimates and he didn’t even blink, just booked me to start a few days later.

There’s something I noticed in this industry and it’s the perpetual race to the bottom for price. There are guys out there whose entire business model is predicated on being cheaper than the other guy, but what are they giving the client? Those guys will never attract the high end clientele.

When people contact me with the inevitable “how much for a full detail?” I know at this point they are calling around and looking for the lowest number. They are much better served at the local wash and buff that can put 5 or 6 minimum wages guys on making their car clean and shiny. I don’t want those clients, they can have them. I usually just tell them I’m unable to service them as I’m booked up. I have the luxury of doing this as it’s not my primary means of income, but I would second Dan’s advice 100%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

12. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dan, is a stand up guy. Just like everyone here. I’ve learned a lot from you, and I can honestly say thanks for giving me at least motivation to respect myself.

Also, I like what Dan stated. I charge more so
    I can buy premium products.

It justifies charging more, at least in my view of things.
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

14. Thanks Dan Tran, Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

QUESTION:

Dan, the time you put into each detail, how many days do you have a client’s vehicle?

I’m averaging 12 hours per detail. I also have a full-time job, so typically, a vehicle is left with me in the afternoon, and they pick it up the next day. I aim to be thorough, but find myself up against the clock almost every time. An extra day to really get the car dialed-in would most certainly help. But I have split days off, and do the best I can.

16. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Encinitas View Post
    QUESTION:

Dan, the time you put into each detail, how many days do you have a client’s vehicle?

I’m averaging 12 hours per detail. I also have a full-time job, so typically, a vehicle is left with me in the afternoon, and they pick it up the next day. I aim to be thorough, but find myself up against the clock almost every time. An extra day to really get the car dialed-in would most certainly help. But I have split days off, and do the best I can.
    Craig--- Check out Scott's (Sizzle Chest) last post about the Range Rover.

He stated: "It's done when it's done".

As a professional who turns out work of the highest quality, that answer should be more than acceptable.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

18. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes JT Moto liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast