autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Presenting High-Ticket Offers to Affluent Clients by Dan Tran

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Encinitas View Post
    QUESTION:

Dan, the time you put into each detail, how many days do you have a client’s vehicle?

I’m averaging 12 hours per detail. I also have a full-time job, so typically, a vehicle is left with me in the afternoon, and they pick it up the next day. I aim to be thorough, but find myself up against the clock almost every time. An extra day to really get the car dialed-in would most certainly help. But I have split days off, and do the best I can.
    This is why higher margin pricing is good thing. I never look at the clock.

If I have a ‘treatment’ meaning I perform up to a multi-stage correction, a high-quality ceramic coating and a premier interior protection detail—I always request request up to five days. The most important thing is to develop a system and a process to become efficient while producing quality results.

Each day I will spend an average of 6 hours. I never detail more than 7 hours a day. Even though I can get the same work done in 3 1/2 days. I stretch it out a bit. Take my time to make sure my quality is always on point.

In most cases I get done with said treatment in 4 days. But I come back the fifth day for about 3 hours or so to triple check my work before I hand back the keys.

I don’t know if I am slow or if I am fast, but whatever the case is...

They are paying very good money. Go home and recompose. Come back and refocus. Give them your ultimate without feeling rushed.

Because I am mobile, they will come in and out to check to see how you are doing. Work slow enough to be thorough, but not too slow where it’s no longer worth the time.

Example: I noticed almost immediately after I started gaining such clients that 4-5 days was the sweet spot in order to make them feel that spending several grand was completely worth it with no regrets. I also spend a lot of time educating my clients—making sure than they understand that I am an expert in this industry. I help them to really appreciate the value of such a high level of detail.

2. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Presenting High-Ticket Offers to Affluent Clients by Dan Tran

Delicious! In my defense, it is probably the cheapest Whistlepig.

Great insights and I enjoyed reading your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

4. Likes Dan Tran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Preeeeech! Great post

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

In a monetary-related story...

I stuck to my guns and turned down a potential customer who asked to have her car cleaned, “but nothing fancy!”

...via text messages...

“Sure, I usually charge $*** for an exterior-interior detail on a vehicle that size. I’ll take $*** off that since you’re a family friend.”

...several minutes with no response.

I already know I’m in the stratosphere price range she was expecting. But I’m
    not budging...

Ok, I budged...sort of.

“I can skip the polishing and other necessary steps to make your vehicle look it’s best, and just give it a thorough wash and clean the interior for $***.
    (Notice I’m still at a three-digit price point. )

“...thanks Craig, it just needs cleaned. I know you do amazing work, but...”

The rest doesn’t matter. Moral of my story is that even though I know the “potential” customer, my talent and free time is worth more than whatever she was willing to pay for what she wanted done. I didn’t suggest it, but the Shell gas station in town can do what she’s looking for and a lot quicker than I could.

My good friend told me, “You don’t clean cars, you detail them.”

I just want to preface (too late) the story that my current employment situation allows me to pick and choose the work I do. Had she rolled up while I was just finishing a job, and all my gear was still setup, I may have entertained her needs. I also don’t know what she was expecting to pay. The vehicle is a brown Kia Telluride. Many swirls on the surface, and in IMO, it needs a full detail. The inside, who knows? That’s the scary part.

7. Likes John U, Dan Tran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In a monetary-related story...

I stuck to my guns and turned down a potential customer who asked to have her car cleaned, “but nothing fancy!”

...via text messages...

“Sure, I usually charge $*** for an exterior-interior detail on a vehicle that size. I’ll take $*** off that since you’re a family friend.”

...several minutes with no response.

I already know I’m in the stratosphere price range she was expecting. But I’m
    not budging...

Ok, I budged...sort of.

“I can skip the polishing and other necessary steps to make your vehicle look it’s best, and just give it a thorough wash and clean the interior for $***.
    (Notice I’m still at a three-digit price point. )

“...thanks Craig, it just needs cleaned. I know you do amazing work, but...”

The rest doesn’t matter. Moral of my story is that even though I know the “potential” customer, my talent and free time is worth more than whatever she was willing to pay for what she wanted done. I didn’t suggest it, but the Shell gas station in town can do what she’s looking for and a lot quicker than I could.

My good friend told me, “You don’t clean cars, you detail them.”

I just want to preface (too late) the story that my current employment situation allows me to pick and choose the work I do. Had she rolled up while I was just finishing a job, and all my gear was still setup, I may have entertained her needs. I also don’t know what she was expecting to pay. The vehicle is a brown Kia Telluride. Many swirls on the surface, and in IMO, it needs a full detail. The inside, who knows? That’s the scary part.
    Sticking to your values is very important. I may have budged if I was just starting out. But my advice for anyone who just started and is looking to stay in business is to find that point of not budging...FAST!

If you are not good at it, practice it. People can smell it over the phone and will walk all over you.

Thanks for sharing your experience as well by the way.

9. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Moose,

Great stuff.

When I was selling to grocery store managers, you had 30 seconds to create interest and close the deal. You used the industry jargon they knew, the margin they'll make and how many "sales" in the display unit... simple. You closed the sale by asking when they want delivery. 1 minute was all you needed.
    First time anyone has referred to me as Moose. Awesome! And yes! Sometimes if I spend more than X amount of minutes talking to them and haven’t closed a deal yet, they are not telling me something or something else is not right.

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Awesome Dan...

Thanks for taking the time to share...

Tom
    You inspire my business as well Tom!

Thank you.
    This is my goal.
    High-end, exclusive detailing.
    Quality over quantity. Make it so.
    My services is not for everyone. And I let people know that. No one never NEEDS a premium coating. They get one...just because. Period! Whatever their reason is of course.

I don’t sell luxury ceramic coatings. I sell luxury to them. I sell their time back to them. I perform the work at their place where the car doesn’t require to be transported. Any one can buy a prosumer coating and do it themselves for a fraction of what I charge.

The biggest different is the time I took to learn how to produce a quality finish and results. It doesn’t take me hours to methodically correct defects and apply a coating. It took me years to learn how to do it in hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@CherryOnTop View Post
    The first time I had a prospect of a high end client (finance guy with a Ferrari addiction) I asked a friend who runs a high performance machine shop building race engines for some advice and he told me to raise my prices. He said clients like this will see right through a “cheap” detailer and recognize the value they can get at a premium price. After looking over the guys cars I gave him my estimates and he didn’t even blink, just booked me to start a few days later.

There’s something I noticed in this industry and it’s the perpetual race to the bottom for price. There are guys out there whose entire business model is predicated on being cheaper than the other guy, but what are they giving the client? Those guys will never attract the high end clientele.

When people contact me with the inevitable “how much for a full detail?” I know at this point they are calling around and looking for the lowest number. They are much better served at the local wash and buff that can put 5 or 6 minimum wages guys on making their car clean and shiny. I don’t want those clients, they can have them. I usually just tell them I’m unable to service them as I’m booked up. I have the luxury of doing this as it’s not my primary means of income, but I would second Dan’s advice 100%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you for sharing your experience for us! Appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post
    Dan, is a stand up guy. Just like everyone here. I’ve learned a lot from you, and I can honestly say thanks for giving me at least motivation to respect myself.

Also, I like what Dan stated. I charge more so
    I can buy premium products.

It justifies charging more, at least in my view of things.
    I can’t do it all the time, but I am always looking to give my .02˘ to anyone who is looking to help themselves and their business. It was nice talking to you that day.

11. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the thread, Dan! I enjoyed the read. Like the mindset.

I'm fortunate enough that I only detail on the side, and even now, it's a bit much sometimes. It also allows me the chance to turn down work. And I do.

I don't like doing interior work, so I quote high prices. And if people are willing to pay it, I'll spend quality time making sure they are blown away by the level of detail.

I don't do "washes" as I'm mobile and don't want to drive out 30 min for a simple wash. For those, I'll quote a higher price....the price I'm willing to do the work for (taking into account drive time).

Like you said, Dan, do what works for you. Everyone here should do just that. Right now, AIO jobs seem to be working for me. But I'll gladly do more!

13. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Craig--- Check out Scott's (Sizzle Chest) last post about the Range Rover.

He stated: "It's done when it's done".

As a professional who turns out work of the highest quality, that answer should be more than acceptable.
    haha!!

I love that line!!!! Way to go, Sizzle Chest.

15. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Thanks for the thread, Dan! I enjoyed the read. Like the mindset.

I'm fortunate enough that I only detail on the side, and even now, it's a bit much sometimes. It also allows me the chance to turn down work. And I do.

I don't like doing interior work, so I quote high prices. And if people are willing to pay it, I'll spend quality time making sure they are blown away by the level of detail.

I don't do "washes" as I'm mobile and don't want to drive out 30 min for a simple wash. For those, I'll quote a higher price....the price I'm willing to do the work for (taking into account drive time).

Like you said, Dan, do what works for you. Everyone here should do just that. Right now, AIO jobs seem to be working for me. But I'll gladly do more!
    “Do work SO GOOD, that no one can’t ignore it.” —Tim Ferriss

AIO are the happy medium! Nothing to ignore. Great money maker, easy people pleaser!

Mike Phillips has stated (not word for word) that people mostly want shiny paint, clean glass, and shiny wheels.

This was my business model for the first several years to put food on the table. So keep it up!

17. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All my clients are affluent. LOL The beauty of living in SoCal. Even though it's been stated that I live in the desert and not at the beach. Meanwhile that beach guy's doing 90% of his jobs in business parking lots and I'm doing 99% of mine at their homes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12