autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Does detailing suffer from the public underestimating how much work goes into it?

Does detailing suffer from the public underestimating how much work goes into it?

Hey guys this has been on my mind a lot lately, even more so as business slows and I became a little more lax on the jobs I'll go after.

Is detailing one of those fields where people are more prone to underestimate the amount of work that goes into it, or is there just a percentage of the population that will always expect a lot of work for a little pay?

My rates are pretty low for my overhead ($35 - $50 /hr) and even then a good amount of people will think that's high. Last week after giving a price estimate over the phone some guy said "man, I'm in the wrong business" and all I wanted to say back was "nah you'd probably get tired of all the people thinking you'll work for less than minimum wage" (I didn't). Instead of starting an argument I'll deflect and play dumb asking if they want some time to think on it to give them a way out. But with winter approaching this conversation gets all too common.

What do you guys do? Should I start smoking my lunch to cope? Lol

The best way to get revenge? Teach them how to detail. They'll spend the rest of their life worrying about the condition of their car.

2. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes DUBL0WS6, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does detailing suffer from the public underestimating how much work goes into it?

IMO most people, average people, who aren't car people, just want a clean car. I have a basic polish and protect, just posted one in the Show and Shine Section, that is a quick 2-3 passes with a polish and of course something I can upgrade to a quick ceramic on as well. I do quite a few of them. People like this just don't want to spend a lot of money. My goal is normally $100/hr but this fall I've been knocking them out in the evenings and tossing in GYEON CanCoat for no charge. Normally I ask $95 for it as an upgrade but I bought some new toys and wanted to recoupe my spend quickly and it worked.

I don't mind sharing my pricing: The below is typically an AIO product but I offer upgrades too.

Small-Medium 2-4 Door Coupe/Sedan Civic, Accord, Cruz, Altima, A4, Fusion, WRX, Sonic $250
    Larger 2-5 Door or Small Hatchback Charger, Avalon, A6, 535, SHO, Genesis, G8, E-Class, Camaro, Mustang, Volt, GTI, Vibe $275
    Small SUV, 5 door Med Hatch/Wagon Escape, CR-V, Tesla S, Rogue, Forester, Edge, 2 row seating $295
    Large SUV, Van Wagon, Hatchback Explorer, Pilot, Yukon, Wagons, Wrangler, 3 row seating $375
    Extra Large SUV, Van, Full Size Truck Full size truck/van, Chevy Suburban, Toyota Sequoia $425
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does detailing suffer from the public underestimating how much work goes into it?

I only do my own vehicles, and I have always expressed how much respect I have for you guys who do it for a living.

After detailing my own truck I have had enough! There is nothing easy about doing the job right.

I would say that the people you are talking about Ed, are just ignorant to most things, especially how much works goes into a real detail job.

They probably think "Hey, I can run my car through a tunnel wash for 15-20 bucks and get the same thing".

Like Mike P always says: "They don't know the difference between a swirl & squirrel."
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes SNP209, acuRAS82, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I only do my own vehicles, and I have always expressed how much respect I have for you guys who do it for a living.

After detailing my own truck I have enough! There is nothing easy about doing the job right.
    Props. For me it's a weekend gig for side money/cash. I knock some out in the evenings when wife and kids have events I'm not attending. Keeps me busy and from watching too much TV or what not. A hobby that pays for toys and fun stuff. it is a lot of work but over time it's gotten pretty easy. I avoid the nightmare jobs and my work is 100% word of mouth.

You're right overall though. I saw some local social media chatter that involved a detailer that may likely even be on here but they were Groupon oriented chats and I don't nor would I ever do that. Who knows, he may have a real business to run but in the end, I'd still avoid it.

To Ed's point, people don't realize that it takes 1-2hrs to wash and fully decon and prep a car for my polishing. IMO that's key. Key to better results, faster results and no doubt keeping my gear and pads in great shape. Even on interiors, it's all about the dry first thus why i love my Tornador and corresponding Velocity Vac. Without it, the extractor is just a sludge factory. Back to the point, these $100-$150 "details" people find are nothing more than a strong wash with some hand products applied.

I address questions and comments but simply directing people to my web site, portfolio and testimonials. I have hundreds and where picture tells a thousand words, I challenge them to review my photos there and tell me which is my entry level package and which is full correction and coating package for 5x the cost. Stack my work up against the $150 dude and it's very clear that what he finishes with looks no where near what my entry level packages comes in with.

Ed, keep up the good spirits. Reach out if you need insight or want to banter. PM Me anytime.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

8. Thanks Ed Abbondanzio, ALX2575 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, SNP209, acuRAS82, ALX2575 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing you could say is, well I wish I got that much per hour too but after expenses and equipment and material costs, it is not even close to that. Mention you have top notch equipment, materials, and tons of time invested testing to find the best products. Heck tell him you have X invested in microfiber towels as each has a purpose...glass, polish, buff, dry, etc. Don’t be snarky just be straight forward and say you’ve worked hard to be an expert and professional to take each person’s vehicle and paint to the highest level possible.

10. Thanks Ed Abbondanzio thanked for this post
    Likes ducksfan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    IMO most people, average people, who aren't car people, just want a clean car. I have a basic polish and protect, just posted one in the Show and Shine Section, that is a quick 2-3 passes with a polish and of course something I can upgrade to a quick ceramic on as well. I do quite a few of them. People like this just don't want to spend a lot of money. My goal is normally $100/hr but this fall I've been knocking them out in the evenings and tossing in GYEON CanCoat for no charge. Normally I ask $95 for it as an upgrade but I bought some new toys and wanted to recoupe my spend quickly and it worked.

I don't mind sharing my pricing: The below is typically an AIO product but I offer upgrades too.

Small-Medium 2-4 Door Coupe/Sedan Civic, Accord, Cruz, Altima, A4, Fusion, WRX, Sonic $250
    Larger 2-5 Door or Small Hatchback Charger, Avalon, A6, 535, SHO, Genesis, G8, E-Class, Camaro, Mustang, Volt, GTI, Vibe $275
    Small SUV, 5 door Med Hatch/Wagon Escape, CR-V, Tesla S, Rogue, Forester, Edge, 2 row seating $295
    Large SUV, Van Wagon, Hatchback Explorer, Pilot, Yukon, Wagons, Wrangler, 3 row seating $375
    Extra Large SUV, Van, Full Size Truck Full size truck/van, Chevy Suburban, Toyota Sequoia $425
    Thanks for sharing! I can relate to the recouping money thing lol. Sometimes I'll "wiggle" my prices when I want a quick buck. Exterior wise I only offer AIO jobs with the option to upgrade to a paint sealant +$70 (rarely taken up on). My prices are:
    Coupes / sedans: $130
    Small suvs $150
    Big suvs + trucks $170

Around here I'm one of the most expensive detailers lol. Most of the detailers are old school with no websites, online presence, or advertising. One of them has a grudge against me...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

After detailing my own truck I have enough! There is nothing easy about doing the job right.

I would say that the people you are talking about Ed, are just ignorant to most things, especially how much works goes into a real detail job.

They probably think "Hey, I can run my car through a tunnel wash for 15-20 bucks and get the same thing".

Like Mike P always says: "They don't know the difference between a swirl & squirrel."
    Thanks Paul. I think of Mike's quote a lot. Sometimes I miss when detailing was just a hobby for me. I haven't washed my car in three months now. I guess as the saying goes "the cobblers children has no shoes" lol.
    The best way to get revenge? Teach them how to detail. They'll spend the rest of their life worrying about the condition of their car.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think some get the work that is involved depending on how in depth of a correction they are looking for.

Myself, I bill out at $80/hr. but usually give a slight break the bigger the job.
    Now the first thing I do is give a hourly estimate in hours for as near perfection as possible without compromising the paint so that hours is the first thing they hear then branch out to different routes they can take and show pictures.

The more detailed the correction, meaning am I cutting around EVERYTHING close with the ibrid nano (price goes up) or am I doing a single stage using a da with a 5in. pad and just getting what I can (price goes down) making sure they know the more detailed the more pricey, the more I have to change equipment the more price tends to go up.

I do NOT quote over the phone and do not do interiors (If they want there 3 month old fries picked up from under the seat )

I always quote in person and ask for expectations, they have there car sitting there in person so I can point to certain parts and say for example....
    Point to badges and maybe around door handles, window sweeps depending on body style and let them know that all that work is going to need to be done with a 1" polisher.

Show them work that would need say a 3" and just make it clear that the details=time.

I just make sure hours is the first thing they hear then I go into what makes up those hours along with pictures and myself really don't catch much flak about cost.

I don't think you were looking for advice but I kinda got on a roll with my routine about informing exactly where there money is being spent.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

14. Likes acuRAS82, ALX2575 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your average person does not know what all go's into a detail. Vehicles are appliances to them. Detailing is way on the bottom of their to do list. Let alone pay for a detail.

Wanted to add, i do not it for money. Weekend warrior that loves the hobby and want my ZR2 looking it's best.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

16. Likes PaulMys, John U, Ed Abbondanzio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    Vehicles are appliances to them.
    Exactly.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post

I just make sure hours is the first thing they hear then I go into what makes up those hours along with pictures and myself really don't catch much flak about cost.
    I love this idea and never even thought about it. Odd since I am in a dealership and everything is in hours. I’m definitely going to take this idea and run with it. It will help staff understand what I’m doing in a way that they can relate to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast