autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does detailing suffer from the public underestimating how much work goes into it?

....... I wrote so much and deleted it. Don't worry about what people believe it's worth and value yourself and your time. Thanks for calling and if you have any questions or would like to set up and appointment.... Please let me know.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

2. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does detailing suffer from the public underestimating how much work goes into it?

I had my Honda at the dealer last week..... $149 an hour. Sure they have high overhead but those customers are conditioned to think $149 is "what it takes"

4. Likes dgage, DUBL0WS6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's like that for most businesses. I once had a customer complain about a bill and I told him that I paid more monthly for insurance than most people in my county pay for a house. He was dumbfounded. People always want you to work for nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, it's nice to hear I'm not the only one that has to deal with people like that. I'll try to mention the hours into each job more and see if that helps out a bit.
    The best way to get revenge? Teach them how to detail. They'll spend the rest of their life worrying about the condition of their car.

Post Thanks / Like

The vast majority of folks have no idea what effort, time, supplies, and equipment goes into a full fledged detail. To them "detail" means wash, wax, and vacuum. Much of my detailing work was done in Brownsville TX which is the most impoverished area in the USA. Talk about a tough crowd!

I eventually hooked up with professionals that had the money but not the time or desire to personally keep their rides more than presentable. Due to Covid this might not work today but teachers, professors, lawyers, doctors, nurses, etc., were my target clients. This worked out very well as they told coworkers and my clientele began to build......all through word of mouth.

One thing I never did was quote on the phone. I HAD to see the vehicle, the condition it was in, and talk with the potential client. Were they going to sell it? Was it a surprise for wife, husband, relative, etc.? All of this information including the pointed question "What do you expect/desire from this work?" helped determine the price. If the phone customer persisted without any attempt or effort for me to see the car I politely suggested they go elsewhere. I was willing to go to the car as long as the client was available for conversation. Some would prefer to insist on a phone quote which I absolutely would not do.

Talking to them helps you and educates them as to what is involved. I hope this helps even if only in a small way.
    Rick....now in North Texas

8. Thanks Ed Abbondanzio thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would agree that, to some degree, people devalue it because "He/she is just cleaning my car". There is a difference between someone who cleans cars and a detailer. The demographic a detailer lives in will also play a part, and then you have detailers that under-value their time and don't charge enough despite the quality of work is worth twice what they are charging. Myself personally, my prices are 20-30% higher than the local dealership in town, and double what the car wash charges. Am I booked every day? Not yet, because I'm a start up as of July, but my quality of work, service offerings, and customer reviews/referrals are doing my promoting and getting me that 20-30% higher dollar. People do take notice after they have a car professionally detailed, and realize that yes, it is worth the extra money to have someone professionally detail your vehicle and understand that a quality detailer knows what he/she is doing.

Likewise, I can compare this gig to my custom painting/airbrush work where folks call and ask how much to paint a goalie mask. 90% of the time I never hear back from them because the cost is too much. People think "He's an artist. It will only take him a couple hours.... etc. etc." However they don't realize the time invested in rendering the design, the prep work, the repair work if any, disassembly, time to paint the complex design, the cost of the clear coat alone is $50/quart out of pocket for me.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Abbondanzio View Post

Does detailing suffer from the public underestimating how much work goes into it?

Yes.

For what it's worth, in a lot of the recent LIVE detailing class videos Yancy and I have made - I point this out. Most people only know where the key goes, or where the button is to push to start their car. They know ZERO about the car and specifically about the paint and overall detailing of the car.

For example - most people have no idea how many HOURS it takes to do JUST the paint correction step. They don't understand you cannot buff out an entire panel, like the hood so You have to divide the hood up into smaller sections

They don't know you cannot simply move the polisher FASTER to go faster. The polisher must be moved SLOWLY over the surface making a series of crosshatch patterns or linear patterns to correctly level the paint to remove defects while at the same time making the paint look good.

They don't know the above. So yeah, the unwashed masses have no clue as to how much time and WORK goes into taking a neglected car to a car that looks like it's brand new again.

Same goes for the amount of time it takes to properly wash a car plus the wheels and tires.

Time yourself sometime as to how long it takes to wash 4 wheels and tires. From start to finish. If you're good at this, if you have all the right tools and products, it will take you right at 1 hours. That's only 15 minutes per wheel and tire.

Washing the average size car takes about an hour. So to wash a car and 4 wheels and tires takes 2 hours. More time for larger vehicles like trucks, vans and suvs.

Say you take 4 hours start to finish to do the paint correction. That's 6 hours for washing and paint correction and you still have so many other things to do.

So to answer your question, most people have know idea how long it takes and how much physical work it takes to go from neglected to respected.

And guess what - it's not their job to know. It's your job to know and educate them. And it's when you have the ability to educate a potential customer as to what it takes to fix their neglect - including how long - that's when they can understand the price.

11. Thanks Ed Abbondanzio thanked for this post
    Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    And guess what - it's not their job to know. It's your job to know and educate them. And it's when you have the ability to educate a potential customer as to what it takes to fix their neglect - including how long - that's when they can understand the price.
    I’m a professional computer consultant and used to work at Microsoft as a consultant. Before I worked at Microsoft I had to establish myself as an expert to really get things done and that took some time, effort, and education. Being at Microsoft I was “Microsoft” and had to be careful to manage expectations because I was immediately seen as the “savior” for any and all problems that ailed them. Now that I no longer work at Microsoft but used to, establishing myself as an expert is pretty easy but it is still a noticeable step and I’ve still had a couple challenging times where I’ve had to reign in expectations. You absolutely need to understand and establish expectations while establishing yourself as the expert.

For consulting, the first stage of an engagement is sometimes called envisioning, which is where we understand the details of the engagement, manage expectations, and most importantly as I stated before, establish yourself as the expert. You’re trying to identity the work in terms of an equation. The triple constraints (triangle) of a project are time, cost, and scope of work, which also intrinsically includes quality as higher quality means a bigger triangle. How long will it take, which is also synonymous with cost since that is the bulk of the rate discussion? Scope means what you will do and to what extent? As others have said, you need to understand their quality expectations and the scope of work. You do that by asking questions and educating the client at the same time. You have to point out the paint problems; swirl marks, RIDs, etc. Pull out the swirl finding light and really show them what you mean by paint correction and how far they want to go. Pull out the tools and materials you’ll use including number of pads, towels, multiple polishers, etc. My guess is they will never think their paint is as bad as it is so you have to show them. And as others mentioned, you have to explain that paint correction takes time and is multiple steps and some areas take more time and effort than others. While you’re teaching them, you’re establishing yourself as the expert and letting them know this isn’t as simple or quick as they thought. Explain how many steps and how much time the tires alone take. But practice this as you need to have the sales pitch down because it can’t sound like a sales pitch and you won’t have much time to convince the client.

And if someone is only wanting to get a quote over the phone then they are only interested in the cost side of the equation. You won’t win with them and you’re better off just letting them know that your focus on quality doesn’t allow a simple quote over the phone because every car is different in terms of what it might need. Some vehicles may not need much of a correction so you wouldn’t want to recommend something that isn’t needed and the only way to do that is by seeing the vehicle in person.

Part of being an expert is putting yourself in a position to succeed and that means being discerning with who you choose as clients. It also means being honest with yourself on the type of work you enjoy doing and the work you don’t enjoy. Try to identify the type of work you don’t enjoy doing and stay away from it. That is the easiest way to ensure success and happiness for yourself.

13. Likes cdnrod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What I have found, people looking for corrections/coatings are typically ok with pricing. It is the interior detailing people that are brutal. to do a thorough cleaning on an SUV interior, im probably slow, but 3-8 hrs is about what it takes me. and people only want to pay 1-150 for that. I can do a 1 step/1 year on the same SUV in 4-6 hrs for $600. They are happy to pay that Crazy

15. Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those people that won't pay for interior work accordingly, likely don't change their undergarments as much as their clothes. Look at me, look at me, but don't smell me. Does detailing suffer from the public underestimating how much work goes into it?Does detailing suffer from the public underestimating how much work goes into it?Does detailing suffer from the public underestimating how much work goes into it?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast