autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice for someone considering a mobile detailing side business?

Advice for someone considering a mobile detailing side business?

Hey guys!,

Ive been lightly entertaining the idea of starting a mobile detailing side hustle.

I already have a truck, trailer,good wet/dry vac, and generator. Obviously i would need to pick up some more equipment. I have a pretty decent paying job now so I would be detailing on the side and seeing where it takes me.

I really enjoy detailing and i love the idea of working for myself if it takes off, cool. If not, im not risking a whole lot.

I know i need to get some more experience behind a polisher and km working on that....

QUESTIONS

1: What is actually possible with using AIO's and waxes while mobile and OUTSIDE?

2: Would most or ALL polishing/claying need to be done inside?

3: What does an avg day look like for some of you mobile guys and gals?

4: How did you start your business in regards to generating business?

5: How long did it take to get going?

Any advice helps!

BTW, I live in Las Vegas so we have hot summers but the rest of the year is pretty accommodating.

Thx!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice for someone considering a mobile detaling side hustle!!!

So many questions, I could write a book. Sorry nobody answered you sooner. The one thing I would suggest to you is that starting out don't fall in love with the idea of whiling away your days polishing and coating cars, most of your early days will be spent hustling for those dollars unless you're just going to not accept those jobs waiting only for the more prestige jobs to roll in. Guys do that, but it's not really a way to build a business it will always be a side hustle.

What does my day look like? Up at 6, out the door at 7-7:30 depending on where my job is and if I have to stop by my shop for something like refilling chemicals or (like tomorrow) pick up my scaffolding to do an RV. Some days I'll spend an entire day at one house, some days I have 3 or 4 jobs piled one after another. Typically home somewhere between 5:30-7. I spend the day working, fielding phone calls from potential customers, juggling my schedule to try and accommodate as many people as possible, staying in communication with my son who runs our shop, posting to IG, ordering product, paying bills. I do most of the admin stuff between jobs while I'm driving from job to job. It's a job much like any other job where you're the boss and the labor. I enjoy it, it's not for everybody. The money is definitely there if you're willing to work. I've worked 5 days this week so far and I'm almost to $3000 mobile by myself, so there's the possibility to make real money if you position your business properly and treat your customers right.

Generating business. I could talk about this until I'm blue in the face, but you're going to be the prime example of what I'm talking about. Next time you go to the grocery store, drive up and down the aisles and count how many cars in the parking lot with freshly dressed tires. That is the beginnings of your customer base. Now, you're wanting to do high end jobs, so take that number of clean cars and divide it by 10. That's your potential customer base that you'll be splitting with guys like Justin over at Detailers of Las Vegas. If you saw more than 2 or 3 cars that looked like they had just had at least a quickie car wash done, I'd be surprised. So your customer base is tiny. The only way to can find them is to have the find you using Google and/or Yelp. That's where your customers are, searching for you on Google and/or Yelp. Yelp side note: So many people talk #### on Yelp it's unbearable to listen to them. If you can't make Yelp work for you in this industry you're not trying hard enough. I hear all these complaints, Yelp is fake, Yelp users are cheap, blah, blah, blah. Yelp for us pays back at a minimum 10x what we spend and usually big jobs because frankly I don't quote small jobs. There's tricks to Yelp but it's not hard to use and as I stress over and over again, you're a salesman. You get leads, you make sales. Simple.

3. Thanks Mikem3574 thanked for this post
    Likes Mikem3574 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mikem3574 View Post

Hey guys!,

Ive been lightly entertaining the idea of starting a mobile detailing side hustle. I already have a truck, trailer,good wet/dry vac, and generator. Obviously i would need to pick up some more equipment. I have a pretty decent paying job now so I would be detailing on the side and seejng where it takes me. I really enjoy detailing and i love the idea of working for myself if it takes off, cool. If not, im not risking a whole lot. I know i need to get some more experience behind a polisher and km working on that....what is actually possible with using AIO's and waxes while mobile and OUTSIDE? Would most or ALL polishing/claying need to be done inside? What does an avg day look like for some of you mobile guys and gals? How did you start your business in regards to generating busjness? How long did it take to get going? Any advice helps! BTW, I live in Las Vegas so we have hot summers but the rest of the year is pretty accommodating. Thx!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I never like doing this but please believe me, I'm doing it to help you and everone else that types in HUGE CHUNKS of TEXT.

The human eye struggles to read huge chunks of text and I'm afraid to say that because most people are lazy, (yours truly included), instead of struggling to read and then answer, most people won't read and will just >click< away.

So instead of typing in one huge block of text, once in a while, hit the [ENTER] key and break-up the huge chunk of text with what is called white space.

And when asking questions, make the question its own stand-along sentence. This brings attention to the sentence and makes it easier for people to reply.

Your above post would look like this,

Hey guys!,

Ive been lightly entertaining the idea of starting a mobile detailing side hustle. I already have a truck, trailer,good wet/dry vac, and generator. Obviously i would need to pick up some more equipment.

I have a pretty decent paying job now so I would be detailing on the side and seeing where it takes me. I really enjoy detailing and i love the idea of working for myself if it takes off, cool. If not, im not risking a whole lot. I know i need to get some more experience behind a polisher and km working on that....

What is actually possible with using AIO's and waxes while mobile and OUTSIDE?

Would most or ALL polishing/claying need to be done inside?

What does an avg day look like for some of you mobile guys and gals?

How did you start your business in regards to generating business?

How long did it take to get going?

Any advice helps! BTW, I live in Las Vegas so we have hot summers but the rest of the year is pretty accommodating.

Thx!!!!!

Mike

5. Thanks Mikem3574, Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes dwaleke, Mikem3574, T-STeve liked this post
    Mike Phillips

And it's best to limit questions to 2, 3 or 4 at the most otherwise - again - you're making it more difficult for normally really nice people to help you.

And numbering them also makes it easier, this way if a person doesn't have all the answers they can quickly and easily identify which question they will hep you with.

1: What is actually possible with using AIO's and waxes while mobile and OUTSIDE?

Any advice helps!

BTW, I live in Las Vegas so we have hot summers but the rest of the year is pretty accommodating.

Mike

7. Thanks Mikem3574 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Mikem3574 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

And I always add some type of emoticon below my last sentence or word and this PUSHES the last portion of text UP from the bottom of the message box a little it's not missed.

Like this,

9. Thanks Mikem3574 thanked for this post
    Likes Mikem3574, zmcnulty liked this post
    Mike Phillips

And now, let me take a stab at some of your questions,

Quote Originally Posted by Mikem3574

Hang tight...

11. Thanks Mikem3574 thanked for this post
    Likes Mikem3574 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

A LOT.

I have an alumni student that primarily details high-end RVs, that is RVs with BASECOAT/CLEARCOAT paint jobs OUTSIDE in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. That's not only HOT it's HUMID.

He primarily uses BLACKFIRE One Step and the BEAST. He told me last year, 2019 - he cleared 1 million dollars for the first time in his mobile RV detailing business. Now he's looking for a shop.

Half my forum work is simply remembering where "stuff" is. Check out this thread,

Looking for AIO reconditioning product for fiberglass travel trailer

And my comments in the thread and then specifically in post #11

Note the original poster of the above thread typed in two huge chunks of text, it's kind of the norm but it only hurts the person typing like this.

Working inside is ALWAYS better than working outside. I've offered mobile detailing all my life and the reason why is because MOST of my customers are the demographic group that owns what I call SIVs or Special Interest Vehicles. Could be a brand new Corvette or a classic Corvette. Could be a new Mustang or a classic Mustang, point being is these types of cars do tend to be more special, (at least to the owner), as compared to a box-stock 2016 Ford Fuzion or Honda 4-door Accord.

And as such, they don't always want to drive them to a shop. Thus I will go to them.

Here's a text book example of an SIV and an owner that would never drive it from here lived to where I lived to have it detailed.

Sniper by Troy Trepanier - Removing Swirls for a show car finish

I used a simple Porter Cable, some Meguiar's foam pads and a light cleaner/polish, M80 if I remember correctly, to remove the swirls and restore a clear, high gloss finish.

Sniper
    Designed by Chip Foose and built by Troy Trepanier

In all the years I've offered mobile detailing I can only remember one or two times where I had to actually do the work outside. All other cars I used the car owner's garage or shop. Used thier water, used thier air, their power and ligts, everything.

Start early, work late.

Word-of-mouth fueled by having a passion for the craft, a talent for the art of polishing paint and an honest desire to help other car owners undo the damage in their cool car's paint and get it right the second time.

Usually a few weeks. It all comes down to how much effort you put into it.

It = yourself and you are the business.

Hope that helps...

13. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Biggest advice, don't burn yourself out doing it.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Mike Phillips

Here's my best advice, first thing, come up with your Service Menu at least 3 packages or "items" on the menu.

Why?

Because you want to practice, the old tired and true approach of having something for everyone. Some people just want a basic wash and wax. They don't know what a ceramic coating is and won't pay for it for their car. Some people have something that's "cool" to them and want the best you have to offer. And some will fall in the middle.

So at a MINIMUM - create a MENU that includes 3 packages you can offer and then give them a name and list what they include.

Above all - keep it simple. Don't make your customer WORK at figuring out how to do business with you.

Some guys come up with fancy marketing names for their packages like,

Platinum Package
    Gold Package
    Silver Package

5 Star Package
    4 Star Package
    3 Star Package

Me? I keep it more simple,

Package 1
    Package 2
    Package 3

Then list what's included in the package using a bulleted list.

Package 1
    • Wash and dry
    • Clay
    • Machine wax
    • Dress tires
    • Clean glass

Price: $000.00

The above is for outside only. If you want to include the interior in each package you can also do that or make it a separate menu item.

Look at the menus on competitor's facebook pages and websites. DO NOT COPY THEM - but do learn from them.

Take advise from those on this forum that are already successful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast