autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pricing Help

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pricing Help

Hello All You Car Detailing Experts Out There,

I've been mobile detailing cars for a few years now as a side hustle. The last couple of years in the Seattle area I've been charging $200 for the exterior and $200 for the interior for like a midsize SUV. Yesterday, I did an interior job of a 2017 Lexus GX SUV, the vehicle was kid trashed (the lady has three young kids). I ended up spending the whole day just doing the interior, and thinking to myself maybe I should of asked for more money or at least given her a range. From time to time I'll have people say that seems expensive. Then the possible customer will say I used to take my vehicle to this shop for less than $200.00 to get the exterior and interior done. My comeback to that comment is those shops usually have more employees and usually buy in bulk when it comes to product and tools. That being said those type of shops can have more than one employee working on a vehicle, so the turn-around time is a lot quicker. Looking forward to hearing some comments. I hope everyone is having a great Friday and Mother's Day weekend.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pricing Help

You're in Seattle. You're working for $25 an hour. What shop is beating your price?

Did this person also confide in you that they used to be able to buy a house for less than 200K and that everyone is ripping them off now? And the big question is, if they had such a great deal, why aren't they still going there?

Don't let people compare you to some car wash guy, either. You could probably wash the outside, lay in a spray type sealant and do a quick and dirty interior clean in a lot less than 8 hrs. That's not what your doing. So, make the distinction.

People will say a lot of stuff and some of them, a lot of what they say is BS.

Now, I'm not saying to be as crass as I've been in this post when talking to them. But, do stand your ground and bring the truth to the conversation.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn’t speak to the quality of their work but to the quality of yours.

“That sounds like it was a great deal. I could come nowhere near that price as i specialize in salon quality treatment to your car. I am not charging you and then paying some person in turn to turn out line quality work. Like all things in life im sure you can find cheaper but i doubt you can find better quality.”

Speak of your time detailing, specialized tools and yes as said before even bring up price nostalgia. “Yeah i can relate things use to be so much cheaper.... i remember $7 hair cuts and $12’000 brand new honda accords”.

Compare yourself to something they know. A person can get their hair colored by some hourly person at super cuts or you can go to a boutique salon and get the best.

Speak of chemical costs and how (if what you use is) the are bio friendly safe for pets and children.

Your job is 60% percent detailing and 40% sales and marketing. You can let people compare your prices to car wash detailers and hack your price or if you feel you give a better level of service you need to market yourself that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

As far as your comeback, I would switch that to, "I'm better than the other guys; I have more detailing knowledge than the other guys; I use higher quality/safer products; and I should probably raise my prices."

Why would you tell them the the other guy can give them a better deal? When actually he can't ( This is a very labor intensive business. Product cost isn't the make or break and they aren't getting tools any cheaper than you.)

$25/ hour. Minimum wage up there is $15. No shop is going to beat your price (apples for apples) with minimum wage type guys. They would have to pay $25 (and bill at $50+) and then get their guys to be twice as efficient.

If they can do that, become more efficient.

5. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There are always going to be customers that think your prices are too high. When a customer questions my prices, I'll respond by breaking down my services, giving a thorough explanation of what my services included, including some of the different pieces of equipment I will be using. I'll also give them a rough estimate of how long the process is going to take. Unfortunately, most people do not realize how much time and effort goes into detailing a car properly. Don't worry about what the customer use to pay at another shop. If they were happy with the service at the other shop they would not be coming to you. You need to establish an hourly shop rate and base your pricing off of that rate. You mention your interior price is $200. How much time does the average interior take? You spent all day doing this interior, you should be charging for an 8 hour job. I have starting prices for my services. However, when I come across a vehicle that is going to require extra work and time, I make the customer aware of that during my inspection when they drop off their vehicle and charge them accordingly. One thing to remember is a price shopper is typically not a loyal customer, if they find someone cheaper they will move on. Sell your service based on quality, these customers are more loyal.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Everyone, I really appreciate your words of wisdom.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sothpaw73 View Post
    I've been mobile detailing cars for a few years now as a side hustle. The last couple of years in the Seattle area I've been charging $200 for the exterior and $200 for the interior for like a midsize SUV. Yesterday, I did an interior job of a 2017 Lexus GX SUV, the vehicle was kid trashed (the lady has three young kids). I ended up spending the whole day just doing the interior, and thinking to myself maybe I should of asked for more money or at least given her a range. From time to time I'll have people say that seems expensive. Then the possible customer will say I used to take my vehicle to this shop for less than $200.00 to get the exterior and interior done. My comeback to that comment is those shops usually have more employees and usually buy in bulk when it comes to product and tools. That being said those type of shops can have more than one employee working on a vehicle, so the turn-around time is a lot quicker. Looking forward to hearing some comments. I hope everyone is having a great Friday and Mother's Day weekend.
    Key on any job in any industry is to discover and help set expectations. I do this on the side as well and every customer is a referral and everyone coming to me knows I'm not the other guy down the road. There's a place for a $75-$150 detail of either interior or exterior. That place however isn't my place nor are the results the same. I always try and find a baseline from what the customer is working from as their past experience and perceptions are often what is guiding them. Many time people have no clue what a dollar gets them. Try and explain what it is YOU do and build a portfolio of work and referrals for them to see and worry not a moment about the other guys. We all compete for business but sell you for you and your work without ever worrying about others.

I have people tell me I'm a little high on price too but my results are worth it thus why they were pointed my way. Haven't lost too much based on pricing but where I have I am sure it was a win for me just the same. Good luck, stick to your guns and continue to build your brand.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

9. Likes sudsmobile liked this post
    Mike Phillips

You need to have packages for your work.

The packages are based on time and process. Then let the customer pick which package fits their budget and needs.

There's a huge difference in the amount of time it takes to buzz around a car using a one-step cleaner/wax versus install a ceramic paint coating.

And remember this - PEOPLE DON'T KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES TO DO ANY OF THIS STUFF.

All most people know about their car is where to push the START button.

And you don't want to work for everyone. You want to create and establish a stellar reputation for doing professional quality work. Let the car washers have the price shoppers.

11. Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Never tell a customer that the reason you charge more is because products and equipment cost you more because they buy in bulk. You can tell them that you use better products and those cost more. The other makes you seem small time and frankly the difference in price is pennies per vehicle and doesn't justify the increased cost.

13. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Listen to this guy. He has been very successful in a short amount of time in this industry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast