autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How's your business handling the COVID19 pandemic?

Couple of questions if you guys have time:
    1. Are you staying busy?
    2. Do you have a backup plan?
    3. How are you handling it?

For reference I'm in Maine, and we still haven't really felt the full effects of it yet, but business is dead. Non-essential businesses are still allowed to be open (for now) but there seems to be no demand at all. I don't blame people as detailing is probably the last thing on their minds right now.

My business is still in it's early infantile stage and this isn't the spring boom I was hoping for. Scraping through January was rough, February was a nice busy burst, but March has petered off into nothing.

I've got~6 weeks of runway left and I think it's time for plan B. I don't have much hope for landing a loan from the SBA as my revenue for last year was pretty low. I'm thinking my best bet is to hibernate the business and go back into the software dev field for now.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How's your business handling the COVID19 pandemic?

So sorry to hear this. Keep us posted brother.

I am also curious to hear other’s stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ed, first off I’m very sorry to hear this and I hope things can turn around for you soon!

I only do this on the side(Mobile detailing) and usually try to drum up business around March, but had some car troubles and didn’t start on time this year. Now I have a car and would like to take some jobs, but timing is terrible with the virus right now. I have some ideas of what I’d like to do, but for my health and my wife, I’m patiently waiting to see how things pan out the next couple days.

You said you’re in the “infantile stage” how long have you been in business?
    Do you have any regular clients?
    This is your full time job or a side/part time job?
    What have you been doing in the past for leads?
    Have you tried anything new to get leads?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get a feel for your situation and what’s working/not working for customers.

I will try to help but I can honestly say I’ve never had a solid schedule or multiple booked clients week in and week out as I only do this about 6 months out of the year due to weather in Chicago area and having a regular day job.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a product that can be used to disinfect the interior of the vehicle without causing damage? That could be a new line of service. I know this event won't last forever, but there is cold/flu season every year from November to May. Perhaps a recurring service program?

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies, I think the post came out a little harsher than I intended. I'm primarily curious to how others are fairing as I've seen a lot of unease in the small businesses forums I lurk in and wanted to see what other detailers are feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    Hey Ed, first off I’m very sorry to hear this and I hope things can turn around for you soon!

I only do this on the side(Mobile detailing) and usually try to drum up business around March, but had some car troubles and didn’t start on time this year. Now I have a car and would like to take some jobs, but timing is terrible with the virus right now. I have some ideas of what I’d like to do, but for my health and my wife, I’m patiently waiting to see how things pan out the next couple days.

You said you’re in the “infantile stage” how long have you been in business?
    Do you have any regular clients?
    This is your full time job or a side/part time job?
    What have you been doing in the past for leads?
    Have you tried anything new to get leads?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get a feel for your situation and what’s working/not working for customers.

I will try to help but I can honestly say I’ve never had a solid schedule or multiple booked clients week in and week out as I only do this about 6 months out of the year due to weather in Chicago area and having a regular day job.
    Sucks to hear about your car troubles messing with the start of your season. Maybe all our lucks will change soon haha.

I've only been in business for 10 months (6 years of detailing experience though). The business kinda started on a whim after I left a job I was unhappy at last May. Looking back it was a bit brash to dive head first into starting a business but ignorance is bliss I suppose. I do have a few regular clients but unfortunately they're all small dealers. The pay isn't great but they've helped keep the lights on all winter. This is also my full time job now.

Initially I was running purely off word of mouth for leads with only minimal signage. This worked out great until I learned how bad I was undercharging. Once prices went up in January I started advertising via Google + Facebook since I could afford it. I've slowly been building an audience on FB as well and have gotten a few jobs from it. My latest attempt at generating leads was running a 15% off sale that started last Friday. It got a lot of attention but no bites. I think it was too late because of the virus.

I do appreciate the help. I mention getting a developer job again because I think it would take a lot of the stress away from running the business. Lately I've found myself wiggling prices down out of desperation to get $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Stroh View Post
    Is there a product that can be used to disinfect the interior of the vehicle without causing damage? That could be a new line of service. I know this event won't last forever, but there is cold/flu season every year from November to May. Perhaps a recurring service program?
    I'm a little uncomfortable with advertising a service specifically towards the corona virus because it feels like taking advantage of people especially if I'm not 100% confident in what I'd be doing.

6. Likes DMiglio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some may think about disinfecting an interior in the midst of this crisis more so than during normal times, but if you listen to the facts as they are known today, it really doesn't make much sense to me.

From what we know now the current virus can remain active on surfaces for up to approximately 24 hours. Somewhat shorter or longer depending on the surface type, but not indefinitely in any circumstance.

So... my take is if you're that concerned simply park the car for a day.

Post Thanks / Like

A car unoccupied for 4 days should be safe. Plastics seem to be one of the surfaces on which the virus remains viable the longest, and data has shown that to be 3 days for plastics. Steel, leather, glass ... all much shorter times vs. plastics. So add a day for a safety factor and after that there should be no viable virus left in that car.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in New Jersey, I did my last two details on Saturday. All non-essential businesses have been ordered to close. Business started slowing down for me about two weeks ago. I had 7 cancellations last week. 2020 started off really strong for me,business was up 350 percent in January and almost 100 percent in February. Fortunately I have other sources of income, that is my back up plan. My hope is that business comes back strong when everything settles down. I'm going to try to promote disinfecting interiors with the use of ozone machine once this passes by. Things really start getting busy in April and May, hopefully we do not miss the rush. I wish you the best of luck Ed, keep your head up and stay positive.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing that all of you that are promoting "disinfecting" as a service to provide need to consider is your potential liability.

I'd be very careful how you market such a service.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PAD View Post
    My hope is that business comes back strong when everything settles down. I'm going to try to promote disinfecting interiors with the use of ozone machine once this passes by.
    This is one thing I’m planning on doing as well. I need to buy an ozone machine though, any you’d recommend?

Depending on the demand and how long the service takes, I’m even thinking of offering a quick exterior wash while the machine does it’s thing. This could be seen as a free added service to the client and since the machine is busy I might as well be too. I look at it as, I’m making money either way and I could stand around at the clients house or be busy and focusing on something that would benefit us both.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast