autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How's your business handling the COVID19 pandemic?

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Another thing that all of you that are promoting "disinfecting" as a service to provide need to consider is your potential liability.

I'd be very careful how you market such a service.
    I tried looking into this quite a bit today, ozone generators effectiveness against viruses. I read a study from 2009 where they tested for antibacterial, antiviral and sterilization properties of the machines. This study was also to further confirm multiple studies from about 15 years prior about ozone’s effectiveness against similar viruses and bacteria’s. Unfortunately, they can’t prove anything on Covid-19 just yet, but it worked against the SARS virus then, stating “no ozone-resistant viruses have been found.” Meaning, of all the viruses they tested(in lab and in field(hotel room)) none remained vital. Some enveloped(like Covid-19) some “non-enveloped”(can’t think of the term).

It’s been quite hard to find anything specific about ozone vs Covid-19 and I think there may be a few reasons for that, ozone doesn’t seem to be a “user friendly” device, like a spray or wipe disinfectant which people might misuse anyways. Another reason is it’s still new and possibly not being cultured, or maybe they’re using tissue from patients who’ve died for testing and it wouldn’t be for ozone research, but treatments and vaccines.

I think to market something like this there should be a disclaimer to cover our a**. Problem is other than a lab test, done before(to even know if it’s in the vehicle, or what for that matter) and after, you and the client can’t prove anything. I personally would look at it like my copyright material for “stains in fabric/carpet,” don’t say “stain removal” say “stain treatment.” You can’t always guarantee 100% stain removal sometimes, so don’t, go with stain treatment instead, any component detailer with the right chemicals and agitation will improve a stain no doubt! That’s how you treat it. I’ve seen steamed, drill brushed, drenched in chemicals and extracted stains not come out, imagine saying “stain removal” and failing after all that.

Enjoy the long read everybody, sorry!!
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    This is one thing I’m planning on doing as well. I need to buy an ozone machine though, any you’d recommend?

Depending on the demand and how long the service takes, I’m even thinking of offering a quick exterior wash while the machine does it’s thing. This could be seen as a free added service to the client and since the machine is busy I might as well be too. I look at it as, I’m making money either way and I could stand around at the clients house or be busy and focusing on something that would benefit us both.
    Unfortunately, I can't remember the brand of my machine, it's in the shop. I've been using it for several years for odor elimination and it has more than payed for itself. From what I have read, you need to run the machine for 30 - 60 minutes to kill pathogens and viruses.

3. Likes DMiglio liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Abbondanzio View Post

I'm thinking my best bet is to hibernate the business and go back into the software dev field for now.

We, as in America and the World will get through this, there's simply going to be a pause until Science figures out how to address it and from watching the news, they are getting closer.

Yesterday these two drugs combinations were supposed to start undergoing testing,

1: Chloroquine (hydroxychloroquine/Plaquenil)

2: Zithromax (generic name azithromycin)

This is based upon the success Didier Raoult, a French virologist has had using this combination to treat the virus.

It's always a good idea to have a Plan B and execute if needed but I would encourage you to have hope especially if this detailing business is your passion.

Post Thanks / Like

Ed, glad to see you respond, idk how I missed your reply yesterday. I appreciate you answering those questions as I think it may help others in guiding you. As Mike said above my post, keep that Plan B in mind and if needed do it!

Detailing will always be there for you and might be better to step back and take the stress out of it. This can allow you to not worry about cutting prices or running deals bringing in “price shoppers” or bites only because you must take a job, any job or you can lose your business. That’s not a good place to be in you know?

As far as my car troubles, I’ll just say, never buy a Mini Cooper or any year or trim level haha. Bought a clubman because it was a bit bigger and needed the size to carry all my detailing supplies/tools for mobile detailing. Lost my butt on that car, so took a massive loss there and now to deal with the economic fallout of this media hyped virus(I know it’s serious but more will suffer from the economic impact than the virus itself).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PAD View Post
    Unfortunately, I can't remember the brand of my machine, it's in the shop. I've been using it for several years for odor elimination and it has more than payed for itself. From what I have read, you need to run the machine for 30 - 60 minutes to kill pathogens and viruses.
    Thanks, that’s what I read as well, needs a fair amount of time to kill. Even in automobiles that have less square footage than a bathroom, I’d run it full blast for 60 minutes. This is why I’m thinking to offer a basic exterior wash while that does it’s thing.

I also saw concern that ozone machines may effect stereo equipment/speakers from the way ozone machines create O3 using electric charge. Have you ever had any trouble with this or read that as well? I’ve never once heard this but as I was reading around a few people commented about that on some forums. Seems bogus but also seems legit haha.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I also saw concern that ozone machines may effect stereo equipment/speakers from the way ozone machines create O3 using electric charge. Have you ever had any trouble with this or read that as well? I’ve never once heard this but as I was reading around a few people commented about that on some forums. Seems bogus but also seems legit haha.[/QUOTE]

I've read that too and also that it can damage seals. Personally, I have never had any issues. I've run the machine in some cars for close to 2 hours and never had an issue. I searched on line and found the machine that I have, it's the OdorFree Autel 1000.

8. Thanks DMiglio thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks so much for letting me know your experience as far as ozone and stereo/seals and looking that machine up. I saw another detailer recommend that exact one so I’ve got a window open on my browser for it already waiting to pull the trigger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    We, as in America and the World will get through this, there's simply going to be a pause until Science figures out how to address it and from watching the news, they are getting closer.

Yesterday these two drugs combinations were supposed to start undergoing testing,

1: Chloroquine (hydroxychloroquine/Plaquenil)

2: Zithromax (generic name azithromycin)

This is based upon the success Didier Raoult, a French virologist has had using this combination to treat the virus.

It's always a good idea to have a Plan B and execute if needed but I would encourage you to have hope especially if this detailing business is your passion.

I won't give up hope on the detailing business as it is something I'm passionate about. Just worried about making the right move before it's too late. Hopefully all of this will blow over soon.

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    Ed, glad to see you respond, idk how I missed your reply yesterday. I appreciate you answering those questions as I think it may help others in guiding you. As Mike said above my post, keep that Plan B in mind and if needed do it!

Detailing will always be there for you and might be better to step back and take the stress out of it. This can allow you to not worry about cutting prices or running deals bringing in “price shoppers” or bites only because you must take a job, any job or you can lose your business. That’s not a good place to be in you know?

As far as my car troubles, I’ll just say, never buy a Mini Cooper or any year or trim level haha. Bought a clubman because it was a bit bigger and needed the size to carry all my detailing supplies/tools for mobile detailing. Lost my butt on that car, so took a massive loss there and now to deal with the economic fallout of this media hyped virus(I know it’s serious but more will suffer from the economic impact than the virus itself).
    I get what you mean. I really wish I could find a part time job just to bring a bit of income in and let me be more firm on detailing prices. I'd hate to build up a reputation that my prices can be dropped if they play hard ball.

And I've heard similar stories from others Mini Cooper owners sadly. I can't say much though I drive an old Cherokee that has a laundry list of things to fix that I'll get to someday.

Post Thanks / Like

And I've heard similar stories from others Mini Cooper owners sadly. I can't say much though I drive an old Cherokee that has a laundry list of things to fix that I'll get to someday.
    Yeah, it was a mistake buying it, made it just over 100k and crapped the bed. It had a burnt exhaust valve, massive issues in cylinder 4. I’m very mechanically inclined so here I am in my apartment parking lot in the middle of winter pulling apart the top end of the engine. I learned many lessons from owning that p.os.

My buddy bought a rusted out and beat Cherokee, mid 90’s 250+ miles, that he drove extremely hard. Pissed and burnt oil like it had no gaskets or rings but I’ll be damned if it still isn’t driving today some 10 years later! Thing was a workhorse that he’d drive on 100 mile trips.

Even with your list, I’d buy your Jeep over many other cars based on my experience with his and stories of many others!

Post Thanks / Like

Couple of questions if you guys have time:
    1. Are you staying busy?
    2. Do you have a backup plan?
    3. How are you handling it?

texas was hit but not as bad , and we did not hit the peak yet, plus i think this virus will be around for a good while based of the government missteps and indecision and lack of preparedness.

we did a 2 weeks isolation , i did give my guys mask , gloves and a bottle of 70% alchool to have in their car.
    the last 2 weeks we went back to work , mask mandatory , i check their temp with a temp gun , and they have access to gloves and sanitizer.
    i usually run the shop , ppf install , but the last 2 weeks i join the mobile washes with the crew , is been 4-5 years since i did mobile with the crew....

our advantage is that we offer a variety of service ( mibile wash, ppf , auto detail , paint correction , car wrap, ceramic coating) so any jobs helps at this time, and i can help the guys too.
    on the other side , the disaster loan or the ppp loan is a no go , no luck there so i am by my own!
    is frustrating but being for 10 years in business you know are rainy days so mental i can handle it like a rainy day....
    financial i may be able to sustain the situation for a few more months, with a bit of projects i will survive , or i like to think so....

i did cut some subscriptions , took out one of the van from insurance , and few other financial adjustments , business or personal related.
    also got lucky to get an business credit card with 0 apr for a year so i transfer some balance from other cards and i will use it for business or personal if needed. not ideal but now all relief helps.

we rent 2 units , that's 2500 sq ft total , my lease expire in end may , i have 3 options....
    - keep only 1 unit, with contract for 6 months not years , if the next month is decent in projects
    - keep both units if we have more than 3-4 cars on steady in the next month
    - let the shop go and install ppf from home while doing mobile with vans and crew ( i did install from home garage and is set up for it , lights, floor , space)
    i work or not working the landlord expects payment , and is a contract in the middle , not flexible so decisions , decisions

we may not take any new interior details, just exterior only.
    i do am more cautious about any new client that wants detailing , we will see anyone new at the shop with virus in mind: any car will be ozone generator 30-40min , alchool 70% wipe down interior , probably steam all carpets too. will be more expensive but is the only way we will take any new clients.

and that may be the back up plan in case we hit a wall, sanitizing cars , i do need some hazmat suits ...., but it can be done.... kind of risky , but if the car has the ozone before any interior work should work....

that`s how i handle it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How's your business handling the COVID19 pandemic?-proreflectionllc-jpg  
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast