autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

pros here, business phone vs cell phone only. what's your thoughts?

When I was trying to become a professional detailer about 4 years ago I went off the deep end and bought a VOIP phone with a wireless headset that has like a block range. I had phone service with a company that also made me a few professional recordings for greeting and after hours. I was kind of stuck on trying to make it so people felt like they calling a business and not just a guy with a cell phone. My setup though, was to say the least, waaaaay overkill for a 1 man rinky dink operation lol. Now this question's a huge YMMV but if you're calling someone for the 1st time, would hearing a professionally recorded greeting and being told to please wait then hold music playing make any difference to you at all? I was weighing that, against the services I see where you pay per month to have an actual receptionist answer your phone. Vs just having a cell phone with a basic voice mail recording. One thing I did like about my VOIP service, with the mobile app it would forward my calls when I was out, and I'd know which were cell call and which were VOIP. So I could answer accordingly, and didn't need to have 2 cell phones. I'm guessing all you who do this for a living have 2 cell phones?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: pros here, business phone vs cell phone only. what's your thoughts?

i never had issues to have only a cell phone, is been 10 years now.
    i think is more important to deliver to your word , and stand behind your work.
    anything else is how much money you wanna waist/ spend around.
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There are other answering services. You could even setup a Google Voice number and setup and custom greeting for it.

4. Thanks BigEd05 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I rarely use others to do things for me BUT when I do have to I ALWAYS use my connections for recommendations. So to me whether they are a one man/woman rinky dink place or a multi million dollar operation means little. If I really get down to it I would SO RATHER deal with a one man/woman operation cause they #1 dont have a whole crap load of overhead that I will have to pay for in my price and #2 can put more time and care into the job I need them to do, also I know who to go to when there is a problem. No blame game etc etc etc.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

It's not about the quality of work you do, because a first time customer doesn't know that. It's about making your business appear as professional as possible. I use a Google number and Grasshopper. I had a custom greeting recorded one time for $75. It tells people to give me a minute to answer the phone as we may have loud equipment running that we need to turn off first. It also tells them that they can book online and gives my web address. I use Grasshopper to forward it to my cell. It forwards as my business phone number not the customer's number so I have a dedicated ring tone for calls from my business number, that way when I'm working and have my wireless ear buds in I know it's a business call and not my kids or something. After I hang up I can get the customer's phone number from the Grasshopper app if I'm going to send them a text for example. I can also forward it to my son's phone on the occasion that I'm in a no cell service situation, so calls don't go unanswered. Grand total $29/month for Grasshopper. There's no need to go crazy with money, that's a dollar a day for a professional solution.

And, my cell phone is not out there floating around the internet, which I prefer.

Post Thanks / Like

I just downloaded "LinkedPhone" , its 14/month and you can pick number you want and it forwards to your phone.

I just got it but seems good so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Cell phone only. I haven’t found a need for other options.

Post Thanks / Like

Google voice number that way i know it's a customer, until some damn telemarketer finds it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    It's not about the quality of work you do, because a first time customer doesn't know that.
    That would depend on the customer first time or not. If that customer is OCD, then you better bring quality
    You can probably skate by on a basic car wash but not a detail

Doing poor quality work will get around quick. People are quick to use their phone to leave a negative review either through google or yelp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mckobe View Post
    That would depend on the customer first time or not. If that customer is OCD, then you better bring quality
    You can probably skate by on a basic car wash but not a detail

Doing poor quality work will get around quick. People are quick to use their phone to leave a negative review either through google or yelp
    You really kind of mangled not only the quote of my words but the context by snipping a really small portion of what I wrote and then making an argument that is almost completely irrelevant to the actual conversation.

Of course quality matters but a first time customer can't see your quality so they're going to judge the professionalism of your business on other factors, such as your website and the way you answer the phone before ever meeting you in person.

I don't really need anybody to explain the importance of doing quality work, nor is that aspect of business important to this particular conversation whatsoever.

12. Thanks JWilliams.RadiantDetail thanked for this post
    Likes JWilliams.RadiantDetail liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast