autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you to every professional on here who's given me advice on how to run my business

My old business was a part time thing, I did alright considering I only had about 10 hours a week to dedicate to it. I've been wanting to get back into it, but full time this go-round. I've gotten a ton of good advice on here from dudes who are established in the industry so they have the experience to talk about what works and what doesn't. I'd been chasing the white van detailers because it's what I thought I had to do to compete out here. Looking around lately I see a decent number of nice cars, some really expensive ones. My mentality was that just about everyone in my town's super cheap and they all want a $20 wash. A lot of people on here have said to me (and others) don't lower your standards. Set your prices according to the quality of your work, and don't worry about what the next person charges. I was real close to launching my web site and about to get back into a professional detail gig with my same old mentality where I felt I had to compete with everyone around me who washes cars. I am going to charge more, but what I charge will reflect the quality of my work which will speak for itself. I think I'd rather fail trying this the right way than to make a living having to work 12-14 hour days washing 20 random cars in a random strip mall parking lot. I see that every day around where I live.

Yesterday I sat back and what started to sink in my thick skull was the understanding of mobile guys on here who've said they won't go to a person's house for less than $125, as anything less isn't worth it to them. I use to do almost all $25-30 jobs, dudes on here said you'll burn yourself out if you're doing that all day every day. It's ironic but a week ago I was really doubting that I'd be able to drum up enough $35 washes to make enough $$$ to pay my bills. Now I feel confident I'll not only be successful, but successful without having to do a dozen el-chepo wash jobs a day.

Thank you to everyone for their insight and feedback in the past. If there's anyone who details and wouldn't mind being a mentor and fielding just a few questions a week from me, please drop me a PM.

Also if anyone knows of a good professional graphic designer I'm all ears. I want to scrap my logo and pay for something nice.

2. Likes Coatingsarecrack, SWETM, DMiglio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thank you to every professional on here who's given me advice on how to run my business

Quote Originally Posted by j.williams at perpetualradiance View Post
    My old business was a part time thing, I did alright considering I only had about 10 hours a week to dedicate to it. I've been wanting to get back into it, but full time this go-round. I've gotten a ton of good advice on here from dudes who are established in the industry so they have the experience to talk about what works and what doesn't. I'd been chasing the white van detailers because it's what I thought I had to do to compete out here. Looking around lately I see a decent number of nice cars, some really expensive ones. My mentality was that just about everyone in my town's super cheap and they all want a $20 wash. A lot of people on here have said to me (and others) don't lower your standards. Set your prices according to the quality of your work, and don't worry about what the next person charges. I was real close to launching my web site and about to get back into a professional detail gig with my same old mentality where I felt I had to compete with everyone around me who washes cars. I am going to charge more, but what I charge will reflect the quality of my work which will speak for itself. I think I'd rather fail trying this the right way than to make a living having to work 12-14 hour days washing 20 random cars in a random strip mall parking lot. I see that every day around where I live.

Yesterday I sat back and what started to sink in my thick skull was the understanding of mobile guys on here who've said they won't go to a person's house for less than $125, as anything less isn't worth it to them. I use to do almost all $25-30 jobs, dudes on here said you'll burn yourself out if you're doing that all day every day. It's ironic but a week ago I was really doubting that I'd be able to drum up enough $35 washes to make enough $$$ to pay my bills. Now I feel confident I'll not only be successful, but successful without having to do a dozen el-chepo wash jobs a day.

Thank you to everyone for their insight and feedback in the past. If there's anyone who details and wouldn't mind being a mentor and fielding just a few questions a week from me, please drop me a PM.

Also if anyone knows of a good professional graphic designer I'm all ears. I want to scrap my logo and pay for something nice.
    Shoot me a PM for the design, I may be able to help

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. Thanks JWilliams.RadiantDetail thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Thank you to every professional on here who's given me advice on how to run my business

Thanks for sharing you journey so far, I'm sure your future is looking bright!

(and shiny)

6. Likes JWilliams.RadiantDetail liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Positive mindset is critical. Its easy to talk yourself out of things due to fear. Never negotiate your prices. The ability to tell a customer No and walk away is powerful because most people in this world don't expect you to turn down money

Here in socal 85% are car washers calling it a detail. Its crazy out here. A dime a dozen. White vans no branding. Work 12 hrs a day washing cars to burn out in 6 months selling their vans as a detail van. 100 gal tank, 3500 gas pressure washer, generator and vac.

Get calls or face to face with "how much to wash my car". I tell them I dont wash cars. Facial expression is priceless. Last thing you want to be known as, is the $25 car wash guy. Be the $150 detail guy. The customers you lose are the ones you don't want

8. Thanks JWilliams.RadiantDetail thanked for this post
    Likes DMiglio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing this. Resetting the mindset is part of the battle.

Stick to this mindset. Your in the right direction. When business becomes good, is great!

When business is slow, still stick to this mindset because sometimes you can lose sight of things and all of the sudden you think your business is failing. It’s just the reality of slowdowns. And panic sets in you are now tempted to go back to the “old way.”

I may have missed it, but do you have a website? Or thinking about it?

10. Thanks JWilliams.RadiantDetail thanked for this post
    Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mckobe View Post
    Positive mindset is critical. Its easy to talk yourself out of things due to fear. Never negotiate your prices. The ability to tell a customer No and walk away is powerful because most people in this world don't expect you to turn down money

Here in socal 85% are car washers calling it a detail. Its crazy out here. A dime a dozen. White vans no branding. Work 12 hrs a day washing cars to burn out in 6 months selling their vans as a detail van. 100 gal tank, 3500 gas pressure washer, generator and vac.

Get calls or face to face with "how much to wash my car". I tell them I dont wash cars. Facial expression is priceless. Last thing you want to be known as, is the $25 car wash guy. Be the $150 detail guy. The customers you lose are the ones you don't want
    I couldn't compete with the white vans even if I wanted to. Like you said they're everywhere in So Cal. Looking around my area there are a couple legit detailers, so maybe I was overestimating the cheapness of people in Riverside. Until I've personally spoken to every person about detailing they car, I shouldn't just assume the entire town will say no. And unlike the white van guys, with $150 details I don't need to have 10 customers a day and I don't need tons of new ones every month to stay a float. I'd rather have a small group of regulars I see 2-4 times a month any ways. I don't just want to do correction and coatings and the higher end stuff. I actually enjoy doing simple washes, but if someone wants a just wash + vacuum it's going to cost them a lot more than 6 month then POOF gone van guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post
    Thank you for sharing this. Resetting the mindset is part of the battle.

Stick to this mindset. Your in the right direction. When business becomes good, is great!

When business is slow, still stick to this mindset because sometimes you can lose sight of things and all of the sudden you think your business is failing. It’s just the reality of slowdowns. And panic sets in you are now tempted to go back to the “old way.”

I may have missed it, but do you have a website? Or thinking about it?
    Had a web site, I strongly disliked it. A few days ago I started to re built it from the ground up. I know my super OCD + the fact I haven't done any web design in like a decade means it's gonna take me awhile to get it to something I like lol. I'll definitely share it here to get feedback before it goes public. I know word of mouth will always be my best source for new customers. But a professional looking web site with lots of pictures of my work definitely wouldn't hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you to every professional on here who's given me advice on how to run my business

Quote Originally Posted by j.williams at perpetualradiance View Post
    I couldn't compete with the white vans even if I wanted to. Like you said they're everywhere in So Cal. Looking around my area there are a couple legit detailers, so maybe I was overestimating the cheapness of people in Riverside. Until I've personally spoken to every person about detailing they car, I shouldn't just assume the entire town will say no. And unlike the white van guys, with $150 details I don't need to have 10 customers a day and I don't need tons of new ones every month to stay a float. I'd rather have a small group of regulars I see 2-4 times a month any ways. I don't just want to do correction and coatings and the higher end stuff. I actually enjoy doing simple washes, but if someone wants a just wash + vacuum it's going to cost them a lot more than 6 month then POOF gone van guy.

Had a web site, I strongly disliked it. A few days ago I started to re built it from the ground up. I know my super OCD + the fact I haven't done any web design in like a decade means it's gonna take me awhile to get it to something I like lol. I'll definitely share it here to get feedback before it goes public. I know word of mouth will always be my best source for new customers. But a professional looking web site with lots of pictures of my work definitely wouldn't hurt.
    I don’t blame you. It took me since 2016 to finally be happy with my website.

I look forward to your future progress and wish you the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mckobe View Post

I agree with you to some point however I offer my regular customers wash packages. I will not offer any wash service until they have booked a full detail. I simply explain that I am an auto detailer and that yes it important to have your car wash but it more important to have protection with it. Also on the bright side of things it keeps business coming in.

You are right tho lol no one wants to be lable the "$25 car wash guy"

Post Thanks / Like

I will say you're very welcome because I know for a fact that I was the one that beat your drum the hardest on this matter. So, you're welcome, if you need any more help, feel free to ask. J