autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any professional detailers here use Clover to process credit card payments?

As to the original question about Clover (or any other processor adequate for mobile), I've looked into this quite extensively. I use Square mostly because it's easy and I've never had a single issue with them except the BT reader being unreliable. They finally relented and GAVE me a second one that I keep as a backup. I've probably warrantied 20 of them, so I've only got $49.95 into the hardware but there's still the issue of being down to one every time one takes a dump on me.

I don't know how much business you're doing, but I calculated the fees (and hidden fees) of the likes of Clover and the break even point is about $7k in processing a month. I do roughly that, my typically overall volume is $9-15k, with typically 65% of that being CC.

There's two reasons I haven't switched even though I'm a fringy candidate to do so. First, like I said, Square is easy and transparent. You know exactly what you'll pay, nothing more, nothing less. I'm not big on surprises. I've had traditional CC processing in the past with BofA and there was always hidden fees and charges. They nickel and dime you to death. Second, I know all of the equipment is likely sourced from the same vendor(s). I know that Square has replaced every dead reader at no charge, shipping the new one and then expecting me to return the defective one. Never had an issue. I file a claim and 2-3 days later my new reader is here. I box up the bad one, print the prepaid shipping label and drop it in a mailbox. Done. I can't count on Clover or anybody else to handle that issue in the same manner and those readers are going to get pricey if they don't. I'm not willing to risk it.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a review on it.

YouTube

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I see the piece you're talking about mentioned very briefly on the internet. It doesn't appear on their site and they've never offered me one.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, every mention of it on Square's website leads back to the hardware page where it is not available. Maybe it didn't work good.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I can find it on the internet. Find me one in real life that I can order.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure, I love mine, it's never let me down

Post Thanks / Like

If it's not available for purchase it doesn't exist and it's not a viable alternative for the OP.

Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    What you're seeing in that picture is the box that the BT reader comes in. It also comes with a mag stripe reader. So, the box contains the products you need to accept both but there is no single solution for mobile.

That said, I honestly do see the issue. I carry the mag stripe reader (and a spare BT reader because they're notoriously unreliable) in the center console of my rig. I carry my main BT reader in my pocket. Swipe probably accounts for one of 50 cards I take, so on the off chance that I get a card with no chip (some little shitbox credit union almost always), I just grab the mag reader from my center console. As for your other problem, leave the iphone to teenage girls and soccer moms and get a phone with a headphone jack.
    I can't find anything on the Square site about a 3.5 jack magreader that does both. I'm not saying Cruzscarwash isn't right, he has the unit and uses it. But if it exists. Square sure doesn't tell anyone. In fact if you read all their documentation it basically says for both you'll need the mag reader + the EVwhatever Bluetooth. or the Terminal. I would love to buy it, but as you said I can't. And LOL to your iPhone dig, I use an iPhone for Square because imho their app's a bit faster and their appointment app on is better. On Android it's still missing features, and Square takes uh, forever to roll out features lol.

I haven't used my BT reader much, never had a problem myself. But you having to get so many replaced is very troubling. BestBuy has them on sale for $30 right now I should go pick up a back up. Now you got me wondering if the Terminal would give me problems too, can't exactly keep a back up $400 device around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j.williams at perpetualradiance View Post
    I can't find anything on the Square site about a 3.5 jack magreader that does both. I'm not saying Cruzscarwash isn't right, he has the unit and uses it. But if it exists. Square sure doesn't tell anyone. In fact if you read all their documentation it basically says for both you'll need the mag reader + the EVwhatever Bluetooth. or the Terminal. I would love to buy it, but as you said I can't. And LOL to your iPhone dig, I use an iPhone for Square because imho their app's a bit faster and their appointment app on is better. On Android it's still missing features, and Square takes uh, forever to roll out features lol.

I haven't used my BT reader much, never had a problem myself. But you having to get so many replaced is very troubling. BestBuy has them on sale for $30 right now I should go pick up a back up. Now you got me wondering if the Terminal would give me problems too, can't exactly keep a back up $400 device around.
    I got mine years ago, they may have stopped making them when most phones were going to no headphone jacks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12