autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old Dog Looking For Something New

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    It's not a detailing business. It's a business. A sales business. Have you owned your own business before? Ever been in sales? Give us your background.
    Great point and often over looked by some when starting a business, any business. In addition to what has been recommended to reading Renny Doyle's book, do educate yourself on business principles. One of the main reasons business's fail is failure to understand business practices. Also, it sounds like you may be new to detailing, if so I recommend after practice and learning on your own vehicle, offer to do family and friends and ask for feedback from them.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Welcome to AG! Your location and level of experience will help us give you the best information. You might consider investing in one of Mike Phillips detailing classes before you set your sights on opening a business. Detailing is hard on your body. Starting at 50 is not impossible, but it will take some muscle building before you start 8 hour days.
    That's for sure. I'm 70 years old, but still at, just slower. 50 is as good as 30 if you're in good shape.
    Do 3 complete corrections and sealant in one week. If that doesn't kill your drive, then go for it.
    It's a complete different ball game when you step up full time from a hobby.

3. Likes mc2hill, PaulMys, dcjredline liked this post
    Newbie Member StartAutoDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    It's not a detailing business. It's a business. A sales business. Have you owned your own business before? Ever been in sales? Give us your background.
    Definitely agree here! I hope Johnathan visits us again to give us some more information. That's what I see most in my area is someone likes to detail cars and decides to make money off of it without thinking about it as a full-on business. Then after grinding for a year they look up and realize they need to sell more, market more, set a proper foundation for their business, etc. before they go belly-up.

Also I would recommend to stay away from debt as much as possible when starting out, even if you are a perfect salesman/saleswoman, your stress will be lower if you know you are working for profit and not for debt payments, just my opinion though

Start your Auto Detailing Business Today!
    https://www.startautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StartAutoDetailing View Post
    Definitely agree here! I hope Johnathan visits us again to give us some more information. That's what I see most in my area is someone likes to detail cars and decides to make money off of it without thinking about it as a full-on business. Then after grinding for a year they look up and realize they need to sell more, market more, set a proper foundation for their business, etc. before they go belly-up.

Also I would recommend to stay away from debt as much as possible when starting out, even if you are a perfect salesman/saleswoman, your stress will be lower if you know you are working for profit and not for debt payments, just my opinion though
    Agree 100% about the debt. It's super easy to string together 11 or 12 huge weeks and think "hey I can afford this or that, put it on a credit card." If you can't pay cash, don't buy it. You're not a Fortune 500 company with shareholders, you're a small business usually a one man show. We recently financed the start up of a new shop out of our own pockets (me and my son). Stressful as hell, the money was pouring out the door. But it's over now and every cent that comes in (minus rent and a few small monthly bills) goes straight into our pockets, just like with the mobile.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.