autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Coating Questions

I’m starting to get into the doing coatings for some of my customers I feel like if they are going to be spending all of this money on the coatings I want to insure that they are properly taking care of them that way they last and they feel like they are getting the best value.

I was thinking of making small 4x6 laminated cards with “care instructions”

Simple things like no brushes at the car wash but what about spray wax or even regular wax?

Is there anything else I should make them aware of before I give them the car back?

Thanks
    Jordan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating Questions

I give written and verbal instructions and we give them the first set of care products. I highly recommend using the coating products that particular coating recommends. After that I’ve learned there’s not much more you can do.

3. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do send them a thank you email or text. At the same time asking them for a Google review and finally steps on maintaining the coating.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jdbillin View Post

I’m starting to get into the doing coatings for some of my customers I feel like if they are going to be spending all of this money on the coatings I want to insure that they are properly taking care of them that way they last and they feel like they are getting the best value.
    This is what I do. I educate my customer. I teach this in all my detailing classes too.

It's nice to see you "thinking" this through.

Here's the deal. You can be the best detailer in the world and create a flawless show car finish on any car and then install a ceramic coating. BUT if the owner is uneducated and doesn't know how to properly WASH the car or as I always say, they don't know how to TOUCH their own car, then they will put swirls and scratches through the coating and into the paint and some of them won't be smart enough to figure out it was they that did the damage and instead will blame you because the coating did not create an invisible force field that 100% stopped all future damage.

In fact, here's a freebie from my detailing classes. The first thing I DO and the first thing I teach those that attend my classes to do is, when talking to a potential future customer, ask them,

How do you wash your car?

Their answer will tell you everything you need to know about where their brain is at when it comes to there car's paint and either your reward or your risk should you work on their car.

6. Likes garyg7133 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Simple things like no brushes at the car wash
    That is a great idea. Maybe check out VistaPrints.com and let us know what you find out for a cost?

but what about spray wax or even regular wax?
    Normally you don't use or recommend a traditional spray wax for a coated car. It won't hurt anything but here's what happens,

Instead of getting the features and benefits of the coating, you now get the features and the benefits of the wax.

Coating features and benefits > than car wax features and benefits

I would instead find out of the coating you install has a maintenance spray-on product and recommend it.

Mike Phillips

Here's some resource that you can feel free to draw from that will help your customers.

This article shows how to use multiple towels to wash a car to avoid CROSS CONTAMINATION - which is the cause of most swirls and scratches by most people that are careful about how they wash their car.

NOTE: You could just use a wash mitt or a few wash mitts.

How to safely wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips - Traditional Hose & Bucket Approach

For your customers that have a "special" car that is NOT a daily driver and thus does NOT get dirty like a daily driver,

How to maintain a Coated Garage Queen by Mike Phillips

And for you and all your customers - the most important article I have ever written...

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

Post Thanks / Like

Simple things like no brushes at the car wash but what about spray wax or even regular wax?

Is there anything else I should make them aware of before I give them the car back?

A couple things I do:

Make custom placards. I do one for the rear view mirror that hangs and one litterally can tape to the outside driver window or center console, etc. Both are laminated. They Politely say Do not wash and go on to say this vehicle was professionally detailed by......then put your business info, web site, ph#, etc.

I also give them a small 2oz bottle of Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Concentrate. I put 1oz in the bottle and top it off with water. I put instructions to mix that amount with 3gals water for a rinseless wash/drying aid.

Next I give them a 4oz spray bottle of my "blue juice" which is Reload/Cure with some ECH20 to be used as a detail spray. Both nicely labeled, etc. I also include 1 480gsm 16x16 Eagle Edgeless towel and explain how to properly dry a coated vehicle using this towel dampened with the rinseless wash and spritzed with my detail spray. I also show how to dry it with a leaf blower/air and am amazed at how many customers text me back that they either have one or bought a nice cordless one like mine I actually just got a text back from a customer yesterday with a picture of his new EGO Blower LOL!

Hope a little taste of my procedure helps you.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    A couple things I do:

Make custom placards. I do one for the rear view mirror that hangs and one litterally can tape to the outside driver window or center console, etc. Both are laminated. They Politely say Do not wash and go on to say this vehicle was professionally detailed by......then put your business info, web site, ph#, etc.

I also give them a small 2oz bottle of Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Concentrate. I put 1oz in the bottle and top it off with water. I put instructions to mix that amount with 3gals water for a rinseless wash/drying aid.

Next I give them a 4oz spray bottle of my "blue juice" which is Reload/Cure with some ECH20 to be used as a detail spray. Both nicely labeled, etc. I also include 1 480gsm 16x16 Eagle Edgeless towel and explain how to properly dry a coated vehicle using this towel dampened with the rinseless wash and spritzed with my detail spray. I also show how to dry it with a leaf blower/air and am amazed at how many customers text me back that they either have one or bought a nice cordless one like mine I actually just got a text back from a customer yesterday with a picture of his new EGO Blower LOL!

That's nice!

Thanks for sharing!

11. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    A couple things I do:

I'd give customers a small bottle of V07 and a nice, low priced MF. But, without fail they'd wash the towel incorrectly, and explaining to them how to properly clean MFs was pointless. They either would forget, or didn't have anything else MF to wash, so yeah washing 1 towel by itself was just dumb. I ended up telling them to not wash the towel, and when I went back in like 2-3 weeks for the next wash, if they still wanted to use a QD on their own, I'd swap the towel for a clean one and take that one and wash it. And refill the tiny bottle I gave them. 4oz of QD doesn't go far.

the door hangers for the rear view's a fantastic idea. One side your business card, the other in big writing DO NOT WASH! You can spend a tiny bit more and get some plastic ones that will last a stupid long time. And if you don't want/need custom ones, I'm pretty sure CarPro sells them for cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j.williams@perpetualradiance View Post
    the door hangers for the rear view's a fantastic idea. One side your business card, the other in big writing DO NOT WASH! You can spend a tiny bit more and get some plastic ones that will last a stupid long time. And if you don't want/need custom ones, I'm pretty sure CarPro sells them for cheap.
    I also just got back my plastic license plate covers. I see Scott (Sizzlechest) here on AG, as he use his all the time and really like how it provides some privacy for the customer by not showing their plate and at the same time spreads the brand around in a subtle way. They weren't cheap as I only needed a handful but I made 6 in case they are destroyed, etc.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast