autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for partner and advice..

So I’ve been detailing cars a long time but only at my house which I do on the side but it’s come to a point I need a shop and make this my sole job. I’m in NY and would like to move a little further south for the weather. I know how to do paint correction, coatings, IDA certified, went to Esoteric training and feel I’m kind of meticulous at cleaning. I have money saved so I can afford rent for a year plus. I have tools (multiple rupes, mytee extractor, steamer) but I need a shop. I cannot find anything online. I use Facebook, craigslist and Loopnet for locating shops for rent. If I do find a good shop and location the city it’s in already has 5 established shops. Not sure what to do at this point. Personally I would like to do this on my own but I thought maybe another person could help.

I have an old post on here and went to South Carolina looking and did not find anything I liked.
    Any advice I appreciate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for partner and advice..

Taking on a lot all at one time

If you are doing this part time out of your garage now why don’t you do it full-time out of your same garage?

Taking on a partner in my opinion is a bad idea

Like Dave Ramsey always says the only ship that doesn’t set sail is a partnership

It’s fine if you want to start a business however hire an employee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David

3. Likes dlc95, Klasse Act liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. Yea I really don’t want a partner. I moved from a house to a luxury apartment complex for a short term and I don’t think tenants are happy with the cars being cleaned on a regular basis. I think it would just be better to have a shop plus it’s more professional. I’m ok with spending money but finding a shop it’s my biggest problem. Having an employee is something I’m ok with.

Post Thanks / Like

But remember this about having an employee, you can't count on them to do the work the same way you do, and in some cases to even show up on a regular basis. And secondly it's a service business. You train them and if you don't pay them very well they just take your training and go and open their own business. It's the nature of service businesses.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

6. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for partner and advice..

I understand the issue of finding an affordable shop. Any one with good roadside visibility near a busy street is expensive otherwise you will be in an industrial area that doesnt have alot of potential customers/traffic driving by making you heavily dependent on advertising

Ever think about going mobile for a while to build up you name, reputation and customer base?

You could sell your current car use the funds to purchase a small detail rig and keep the overhead low for a while before you commit to the overhead of a shop

Operation a business out of a shop that isnt making a profit will sink you financially both in the business and personally

You want to get the ship a little closer to the dock before you jump in the water and try to swim there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David

Post Thanks / Like

I'm certainly no business owner but I agree about the employee and how you pay them. That said it was mentioned earlier about their work ethic, have a little more faith in humanity, the process can be long but if you put enough into it you'll get what you want OUT of it...a great employee.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, an employee is an option. I am hesitant since I do expect a certain level of quality. I thought about the mobile detailing but it’s not for me. I have an 18’ Sti and not gonna be able to have a trailer at this point. The car is a lease and 2 years left so not gonna change that at this point. I prefer a controlled environment. I might sound picky but I’m really just having trouble finding a shop to rent on the east coast.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing about employees is everybody thinks they'll leave and start their own business. If starting, owning and running a successful business were easy, everybody would do it.