autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile Detailing Paint Correction tool advise

Flex DA for correction and a regular DA for final polish , or wax application. get some 2 pads for heavy cutting , 1 wool , 2 pads for medium cutting , 2-4 polishing pads, 1 finish pad.
    polishing paste what ever you feel confortable with , but ideal for correction something that cuts with less dust , and for polish something like final polish. by combining tool-pad-paste you should be able to deal with 95% of the paint out there....
    worked for me....
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

2. Likes VISITOR, mckobe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

hope all is well Cosmin!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the comments guys.. I ended up going with a Flex pe14-2-150 rotary.Mobile Detailing Paint Correction tool advise

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fou4thought View Post

Thanks for all the comments guys..

I ended up going with a Flex pe14-2-150 rotary.

Great rotary polisher, worth its weight in gold in my opinion.

I think you would have been much better to have gone with a gear-driven FLEX 3401 or RUPES Mille 5mm gear-driven orbital polisher.

With either of the above you would have had power and speed without the risk of burning through edges. Plus - it takes a LOT more energy and muscle to run any rotary around a car as compared to any oribital. I know what I'm talking about, I have my original Makita that I purchased in 1987 in my office. I used it until I completely wore the gear out. It no longer will spin a pad as the gears simply no longer engage.

Also - you will ALWAYS have to deal with holograms scratches. I don't call them hologram swirls because they are technically a scratch pattern inflicted by the rotary buffer specifically. And this isn't a problem with just wool pads it's also a problem with foam pads.

Plan on re-polishing all your rotary work with your RUPES BigFoot 15mm to consistently put out professional quality work.

Also just to note - you won't be able to do professional quality one-steps with the rotary as you will leave holograms behind in the paint. You can do it with the RUPES 15mm BigFoot but because it's a free spinning random orbital you'll have to spend more time managing pad stalling as compared to any gear-driven orbital and the mental drain. The other day ago I posted somewhere that anytime a person uses ANY brand of free spinning orbital polisher, besides the physical muscles you use to buff out a car there's the BRAIN muscle you must you as you MUST watch the pad and backing plate to make sure you SEE pad rotation. No pad rotation no work being done.

I know from experience, having to watch for pad rotation for 4-5 hours while running a buffer over a car versus NOT having to LOOK and watch for pad rotation for 4-5 hours has a mental drain on you that can simply be avoided by using a gear-driven orbital polisher.

And a plug for all my classes - instead of doing trial and error for years and learning on your own what to do and just as important what NOT to do - I teach all of this in any of my classes. Even the boat classes.

Mike Phillips Detailing Classes

Here's a tip...

Start out with small diameter foam pads like the FLEX 5" Hybrid Force foam pads. Smaller pads are easier to control and use versus large pads on rotary polishers.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

Flex DA for correction and a regular DA for final polish , or wax application. get some 2 pads for heavy cutting , 1 wool , 2 pads for medium cutting , 2-4 polishing pads, 1 finish pad.
    polishing paste what ever you feel confortable with , but ideal for correction something that cuts with less dust , and for polish something like final polish. by combining tool-pad-paste you should be able to deal with 95% of the paint out there....

worked for me....

Anytime Cosmin posts on this forum I recommend reading and paying attention to what he shares.

Also - if you're in driving range of Austin, Texas, my first public detailing class is at his shop.

June

Saturday, June 1st and Sunday, June 2nd <-- Info and link to sign-up
    Pro Reflection Detail Shop
    501 W Powell Lane Unit 208
    Austin, Texas 78753
    Host Website - ProReflection.com

This is a 2-day class that covers both exterior detailing, interior detailing and wetsanding. Classes start at 7:30am sharp and end at 5:30pm - these are 10 hour classes where you're on our feet getting 100% hands-on training.

Price: $895.00

Early sign-up bonus - Sign-up 30 days before the date of the class and receive a $100.00 store credit at Autogeek.com

Call Andre to sign-up over the phone 1-800-869-3011 x244

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a For sale post here? Seling a Flex XG 3401 along with pressure washer, tools, compound and equipments.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by reglus03 View Post
    Is there a For sale post here? Seling a Flex XG 3401 along with pressure washer, tools, compound and equipments.

I have not seen it myself.

I RARELY see a FLEX 3401 for sale used and the few times I've seen a forum member sell there BEAST it's only a matter of time before they start a new thread sharing how they regretted selling their 3401 and are now purchasing another one.

Just what I've seen after posting to the Internet since documented 1994

9. Likes dlc95, mckobe liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I have not seen it myself.

I RARELY see a FLEX 3401 for sale used and the few times I've seen a forum member sell there BEAST it's only a matter of time before they start a new thread sharing how they regretted selling their 3401 and are now purchasing another one.

Just what I've seen after posting to the Internet since documented 1994

Bump

Was looking for this link last night.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Great rotary polisher, worth its weight in gold in my opinion.

I think you would have been much better to have gone with a gear-driven FLEX 3401 or RUPES Mille 5mm gear-driven orbital polisher.

With either of the above you would have had power and speed without the risk of burning through edges. Plus - it takes a LOT more energy and muscle to run any rotary around a car as compared to any oribital. I know what I'm talking about, I have my original Makita that I purchased in 1987 in my office. I used it until I completely wore the gear out. It no longer will spin a pad as the gears simply no longer engage.

Also - you will ALWAYS have to deal with holograms scratches. I don't call them hologram swirls because they are technically a scratch pattern inflicted by the rotary buffer specifically. And this isn't a problem with just wool pads it's also a problem with foam pads.

Plan on re-polishing all your rotary work with your RUPES BigFoot 15mm to consistently put out professional quality work.

Also just to note - you won't be able to do professional quality one-steps with the rotary as you will leave holograms behind in the paint. You can do it with the RUPES 15mm BigFoot but because it's a free spinning random orbital you'll have to spend more time managing pad stalling as compared to any gear-driven orbital and the mental drain. The other day ago I posted somewhere that anytime a person uses ANY brand of free spinning orbital polisher, besides the physical muscles you use to buff out a car there's the BRAIN muscle you must you as you MUST watch the pad and backing plate to make sure you SEE pad rotation. No pad rotation no work being done.

I know from experience, having to watch for pad rotation for 4-5 hours while running a buffer over a car versus NOT having to LOOK and watch for pad rotation for 4-5 hours has a mental drain on you that can simply be avoided by using a gear-driven orbital polisher.

And a plug for all my classes - instead of doing trial and error for years and learning on your own what to do and just as important what NOT to do - I teach all of this in any of my classes. Even the boat classes.

Mike Phillips Detailing Classes

Here's a tip...

Start out with small diameter foam pads like the FLEX 5" Hybrid Force foam pads. Smaller pads are easier to control and use versus large pads on rotary polishers.

Since the thread has been bumped...

I actually ended up getting a Flex 3401 as well, and yep, Mike you were right! the 3401 is my daily driver. Absolutely love it!!

12. Likes Coatingsarecrack, JustJesus, SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fou4thought View Post

Since the thread has been bumped...

I actually ended up getting a Flex 3401 as well, and yep, Mike you were right! the 3401 is my daily driver.

Absolutely love it!!

Good to hear. Thank you for sharing. It's always nice to see that people I talk to take my or one of our other forum member's recommendations and then act on them and THEN are happy with their purchase.

14. Likes JustJesus liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast