autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile Detailing Paint Correction tool advise

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I’m glad your a good detailer cuz marketing ain’t your strong suite. How did detailers do it before as words.

Don’t get me wrong AdWords is a excellent marketing platform but you don’t need it to be successful. Maybe just to be MORE successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You couldn't be more wrong. I might be a good detailer, but what I really am is a good businessman and a guy that knows how to make money. That's what you're in business for, to make money. Flyers and walking around door to door is needle in a haystack. You need to control the narrative of your business otherwise you're going to end as just another car washer. Because MOST people are looking for washes. We don't wash. If I were to rely on your method, almost every person I came in contact with would be looking for a wash. You need to find the rare customer that is looking to spend a lot of money. And then you need to be able to find 2-3 of them PER DAY. Using your method, how long do you suppose it would take you to find those customers? I can tell you it would be YEARS because there's guys in my town that are still car washers doing 6-7 jobs a day and making $300. Sure you do that 300 days a year in SoCal and you're doing okay. That's not my business model. So while I appreciate your input, don't suppose to tell me how to run a successful business.

And I don't have any idea where you pulled the $3500 number from, but my ENTIRE advertising budget is less than I make gross in two days.

Post Thanks / Like

Weird that a ton of guys have started with a car and a polisher basically. If you have revenue and have no capital for starting your detailing you should not try cuz you can’t afford advertising. You can control your narrative cuz you’ve made it. You cannot look outside your scope to make another way work? And 2-3 “needles a week can start a general income base. To build that advertising budget.

Let’s just say we agree to disagree. Glad your doing well.

OP: good luck and I wish you well.

Post Thanks / Like

Mobile Detailing Paint Correction tool advise

Oops

Post Thanks / Like

You can agree to disagree all you'd like. You're still wrong. He said he wants to do paint correction. He doesn't want to be a car washer. I can immediately tell you're not in the business because let me tell you that even if you're high end, the majority of customers that call you, message you, come in contact with you, etc, don't want paint correction. They want washes. Sure you need to sell them, but upselling a guy looking for a $50 wash to a $300 paint correction job is a bit of a stretch. You need those customers looking for those services (using Yelp, Google, etc) to be able to find you. A guy, or gal, looking to get their vehicle polished is not waiting for somebody with a business card to walk up to them. They're searching on the internet. Period. Period.

Post Thanks / Like

Weird that a ton of guys have started with a car and a polisher basically. If you have revenue and have no capital for starting your detailing you should not try cuz you can’t afford advertising. You can control your narrative cuz you’ve made it. You cannot look outside your scope to make another way work? And 2-3 “needles a week can start a general income base. To build that advertising budget.

Let’s just say we agree to disagree. Glad your doing well.

OP: good luck and I wish you well.

Many roads lead to Rome. I think the best way to start detailing is to do what I did. Keep your regular job and do contracts in your off time. Then if your job allows, slowly cut the number of days you work at your regular job to do more detailing until you can go full time.

With that being said, how you spend your money in the beginning will greatly influence the speed your business will grow. And it's counter-intuitive, you would think: I need all the tools and chemicals to be able to do any possible job that can come my way, where as in reality you should limit your offer to what you can do with your current skill set, tools and products and advertize to get as many jobs as you can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    You can agree to disagree all you'd like. You're still wrong. He said he wants to do paint correction. He doesn't want to be a car washer. I can immediately tell you're not in the business because let me tell you that even if you're high end, the majority of customers that call you, message you, come in contact with you, etc, don't want paint correction. They want washes. Sure you need to sell them, but upselling a guy looking for a $50 wash to a $300 paint correction job is a bit of a stretch. You need those customers looking for those services (using Yelp, Google, etc) to be able to find you. A guy, or gal, looking to get their vehicle polished is not waiting for somebody with a business card to walk up to them. They're searching on the internet. Period. Period.
    Yes. Totally. Flyers and business cards have close to 0 return in our business model. Offering a high quality service to people who don't think they need it or want it is pretty much a waste of time. All that time spent on distributing them, and of course the expenses of printing them can be used elsewhere with much greater return.

Now a days, the only business cards I give away is when I work at a client's place and it's an underground garage, I leave a business card on every luxury car in that garage's level. I am actually thinking of having cards printed that will say : "We made your neighbour's car beautiful today, and we can do the same for you. Visit our website for details." I have no idea if it would work, but taking a 10 minutes break between things I need to do on the car and dropping 20 business cards on Mercedes, BMWs and Audis seems like a good thing to do. But that is as far as I would go for handing out ads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    Yeah learn how to sell. You get that guy who has bed paint...educate them show them what they need. Also did I say advertise washes no. You assume cuz you were bad marketer and got a bunch of wash jobs when you started that is how it will end for everyone? No you market yourself as a detailer and mention what you DO/WANT to offer he never has to wash a car in his life. You want to argue as if your business plan is the only way to create a business. And yelp and google reviews don’t cost so he can solicite those for free.

You can’t see nothin past your own nose. You don’t even know how the marketing you use works.

Guaranteed what I recommend is how plenty of detailers got started. Let me make you happy though l..... your right, never thought of it like that. Great planMobile Detailing Paint Correction tool advise

8. Likes mckobe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Yes. Totally. Flyers and business cards have close to 0 return in our business model. Offering a high quality service to people who don't think they need it or want it is pretty much a waste of time. All that time spent on distributing them, and of course the expenses of printing them can be used elsewhere with much greater return.

Now a days, the only business cards I give away is when I work at a client's place and it's an underground garage, I leave a business card on every luxury car in that garage's level. I am actually thinking of having cards printed that will say : "We made your neighbour's car beautiful today, and we can do the same for you. Visit our website for details." I have no idea if it would work, but taking a 10 minutes break between things I need to do on the car and dropping 20 business cards on Mercedes, BMWs and Audis seems like a good thing to do. But that is as far as I would go for handing out ads.

How did you get started? where do you generate clients from now? Do you use AdWords Been in sales all my life... the best untapped resource is those that don’t know and aren’t educated. Once you can open their eyes.... clients for life. And what you do is exactly what I’m talking about. He’s got more time than money. Solicite your business to those cars that need it who’s owner can afford it.

Also if 0 return then why do you leave cards. If money and time can be spent better elsewhere, how?

Posting things that didn’t work for you won’t help OP; how bout posting things that will....

Post Thanks / Like

How did you get started? where do you generate clients from now? Do you use AdWords Been in sales all my life... the best untapped resource is those that don’t know and aren’t educated. Once you can open their eyes.... clients for life. And what you do is exactly what I’m talking about. He’s got more time than money. Solicite your business to those cars that need it who’s owner can afford it.

Also if 0 return then why do you leave cards. If money and time can be spent better elsewhere, how?

Posting things that didn’t work for you won’t help OP; how bout posting things that will....

I did distribute flyers and business cards, and I don't think I got a single call from them. Since I printed 10,000 cards I now have tons of them sitting in my office. I give 2 to every client I do, so that's what? 500 a year or something? This is why I leave some on cars when I work in underground garages. I haven't had anyone tell me they are calling because I left them a card. I ask new client how they heard about me and 99% tell me they did a search on Google or were a friend of a client.

Actually saying what doesn't work is as important as saying what does work. Learning from other's mistakes allows you to save time and money. How I advertize is very simple: my own website and SEO and also with Facebook ads. I don't spend a fortune on advertizing. About 100-150$ per month.

As for time, if you have a lot of free time on your hands, build a good website, make ads for facebook. This will give you a lot more return than printing material and going around door to door distributing it.

11. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well that escalated rather quickly...

OP like it has been mentioned before, I wouldn't go out and buy expensive buffers to meet a need you are currently assuming you have to fill. Me personally, I own the 6" and 3" Griot's machines and I've learned techniques to make them work faster for my style. AIO's are the money maker. Multi-steps, not so much. I've done 2 multi-step corrections in 3 years and one ended with a multi-coat ceramic installation. I'm also fully mobile so time at the customer's residence is very valuable. Here's what happened this past saturday for instance.

2 car detail / met this customer through a Cars and Coffee event a few years ago and we kept in touch.

BMW M235 vert - full detail inside and out with top cleaning and conditioning /interior first then exterior with clay (I had to correct some marring due to the mechanical clay process. Topped with sealant. Total time 5 hours

2012 Nissan Armada - basic wash Plus/basic interior Plus ( special attention and leather cleaning of the front two seats and high-touch surfaces). FIRST Exterior passenger side had some minor scratches from hedges along the driveway. One in particular was a little deeper. Customer wanted them corrected. Used an AIO with the 6" Griot's MF pad after washing and drying just those panels with a waterless. I was able to correct the scratches and didn't recommend doing the whole vehicle because the rest of it was in excellent condition even for being a 7 year old daily driver. SECOND did interior and door jambs with waterless. LAST did the exterior wash/decon/rinse/dry/spray sealant. Total time 4.5 hours

Within 4 hours of the job this particular customer and his wife posted reviews on every possible avenue they could with their own photos. Solid Gold.....

$425 day......which is what works for my business goals. I don't advertise besides word of mouth, putting my face in front of a large group of "Car guys/gals" on a regular basis, networking with other detailers in my area (minus the car washers), and becoming the expert in my circles on Social Media. It helps that I fit all my mobile detailing gear in the back of a newer BMW wagon.

My point in all of this is that I have learned to use the tools that I could initially afford to their maximum efficiency using processes that work well and fast FOR ME. Don't get caught up in buying the biggest and best and then wait to use them. Buy what you can produce results with and that are reasonable for your budget and make them work until you can justify the upgrade. I will upgrade when I need to be more efficient or need more options. For now the tools I have work for their intended purpose within my skill ability.

I also HATE Yelp.
    https://www.facebook.com/newfinishPDLLC/
    Steve Infante, New Finish Columbia 803-553-1782
    Columbia, SC / IG:@newfinishcolumbia

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast