autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Any professional detailers here use Clover to process credit card payments?

I use Square, and I mostly like it, but there are some huge annoyances. Their Bluetooth reader for cards with chips, you can dip but not swipe, so I still need their stupid Lighting connector mag strip reader too. I noticed Clover's bluetooth reader you can tap, dip or swipe. Also Square's appointment app is HORRIBLE for a detailer. I have my packages set up as services, then I have my a-la carte stuff as modifiers. Services can have a time duration attached to them, modifiers can't. A basic wash is 60 minutes, a basic wash + vacuum + wax modifiers would be 2 hours. But, it'll still shows up as 1 because of how it works. Someone asked Square about this on their forums over a year ago "I passed this along to the team, we'll keep you updated" 16 months later, still no feature and not even so much as a word. This is their response to anyone about about any missing feature.

Any ways I'm hoping someone here uses Clover and can share some insight. I can't find a whole lot of stuff online about the mobile side. Just the big store POS systems. Reading a bunch of messages on the Square forums today about feature suggestions, it seems none of them ever get implemented. I know the Clover Flex has it's own OS and you can install plugins and apps to do various things. I don't need big, or fancy. I just want CC processing and access to a good appointment booking app. Oh and the ability for services and modifiers to both have durations. Booking with Square Appointment is a hassle because I have to go in afterwards and manually change the time length if they wanted anything more than a service. And Square doesn't even let customers who book an appointment add modifiers themselves anywho - This is another feature that's apparently on a list somewhere with the development team. Their mobile machine is $299, I was about to buy it a few months ago but I wanted to wait to see feedback on it. Now I'm pondering Clovers Flex.

But with all my gripes I don't know if Clover's even any better. I will call and talk to a sales person there, but if I could someone mobile with 1st hand experience would be lovely. I know sales people are trying to sell you stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any professional detailers here use Clover to process credit card payments?

Quote Originally Posted by j.williams at perpetualradiance View Post
    I use Square, and I mostly like it, but there are some huge annoyances. Their Bluetooth reader for cards with chips, you can dip but not swipe, so I still need their stupid Lighting connector mag strip reader too. I noticed Clover's bluetooth reader you can tap, dip or swipe. Also Square's appointment app is HORRIBLE for a detailer. I have my packages set up as services, then I have my a-la carte stuff as modifiers. Services can have a time duration attached to them, modifiers can't. A basic wash is 60 minutes, a basic wash + vacuum + wax modifiers would be 2 hours. But, it'll still shows up as 1 because of how it works. Someone asked Square about this on their forums over a year ago "I passed this along to the team, we'll keep you updated" 16 months later, still no feature and not even so much as a word. This is their response to anyone about about any missing feature.

Any ways I'm hoping someone here uses Clover and can share some insight. I can't find a whole lot of stuff online about the mobile side. Just the big store POS systems. Reading a bunch of messages on the Square forums today about feature suggestions, it seems none of them ever get implemented. I know the Clover Flex has it's own OS and you can install plugins and apps to do various things. I don't need big, or fancy. I just want CC processing and access to a good appointment booking app. Oh and the ability for services and modifiers to both have durations. Booking with Square Appointment is a hassle because I have to go in afterwards and manually change the time length if they wanted anything more than a service. And Square doesn't even let customers who book an appointment add modifiers themselves anywho - This is another feature that's apparently on a list somewhere with the development team. Their mobile machine is $299, I was about to buy it a few months ago but I wanted to wait to see feedback on it. Now I'm pondering Clovers Flex.

But with all my gripes I don't know if Clover's even any better. I will call and talk to a sales person there, but if I could someone mobile with 1st hand experience would be lovely. I know sales people are trying to sell you stuff.
    Square has a dual Bluetooth reader for chip and swipe

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I still prefer square for accepting payments. But I switched over to Acuity Scheduling. I can integrate Square into it. So far so good. In terms of packages, I created an add-on list of that makes sense. In Square, I just offer everything individually and just offer a silver gold or platinum discount.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    Square has a dual Bluetooth reader for chip and swipe

Are you sure? I'm not seeing it on their page and Google isn't turning up anything. I see their Bluetooth reader which I have. That comes with a Magstrip reader for swiping cards. I find it super annoying to have to carry around 2 things. They have the Terminal which does both, is that what you're talking about? I do want that but it's $299 which is kind out of my budget at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post
    I still prefer square for accepting payments. But I switched over to Acuity Scheduling. I can integrate Square into it. So far so good. In terms of packages, I created an add-on list of that makes sense. In Square, I just offer everything individually and just offer a silver gold or platinum discount.
    I just went to their web site, Acuity looks like for the price it could be pretty good. Right now I'm setting up a Wordpress plugin for detailers called Auto Spa. It can sync with Google Calendar which can sync with Square Appointment. This one has a free level, so there's no reason not for me to try it. Thanks for the heads up.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure? I'm not seeing it on their page and Google isn't turning up anything. I see their Bluetooth reader which I have. That comes with a Magstrip reader for swiping cards. I find it super annoying to have to carry around 2 things. They have the Terminal which does both, is that what you're talking about? I do want that but it's $299 which is kind out of my budget at the moment.

I just went to their web site, Acuity looks like for the price it could be pretty good. Right now I'm setting up a Wordpress plugin for detailers called Auto Spa. It can sync with Google Calendar which can sync with Square Appointment. This one has a free level, so there's no reason not for me to try it. Thanks for the heads up.
    The only reason why I have their $15/mo Emerging plan is because it can free with my Squarespace website. I have it synced to Google Calendar as well.

What I discovered is I can activate coupon codes and have them expire automatically. Just like any code offers in AG.

Best wishes to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry it's not Bluetooth but takes swipe and chip in one, it looks like this and is says it on the box as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    Sorry it's not Bluetooth but takes swipe and chip in one, it looks like this and is says it on the box as well

yes, I have that one. I have the Bluetooth one too, which I thought was the greatest until one day I had it but didn't have the one you posted. And the customer card didn't have a chip. Manually entering cards is a pain, cost more, and customers tend to not like it much - and I understand why. EVERYTHING I like about Square, there's a downside. Yes carrying around the small reader in your pocket or glove box isn't the end of the world. But, they could have easily added a swipe to the bluetooth one. Clover's BT doo-hickey can do both.

Post Thanks / Like

yes, I have that one. I have the Bluetooth one too, which I thought was the greatest until one day I had it but didn't have the one you posted. And the customer card didn't have a chip. Manually entering cards is a pain, cost more, and customers tend to not like it much - and I understand why. EVERYTHING I like about Square, there's a downside. Yes carrying around the small reader in your pocket or glove box isn't the end of the world. But, they could have easily added a swipe to the bluetooth one. Clover's BT doo-hickey can do both.
    Right but this one accepts magnetic card swipes and chip cards So if you have this I don't see why you need to carry around two separate readers when this reader reads any type of card.

Post Thanks / Like

What you're seeing in that picture is the box that the BT reader comes in. It also comes with a mag stripe reader. So, the box contains the products you need to accept both but there is no single solution for mobile.

That said, I honestly do see the issue. I carry the mag stripe reader (and a spare BT reader because they're notoriously unreliable) in the center console of my rig. I carry my main BT reader in my pocket. Swipe probably accounts for one of 50 cards I take, so on the off chance that I get a card with no chip (some little shitbox credit union almost always), I just grab the mag reader from my center console. As for your other problem, leave the iphone to teenage girls and soccer moms and get a phone with a headphone jack.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    What you're seeing in that picture is the box that the BT reader comes in. It also comes with a mag stripe reader. So, the box contains the products you need to accept both but there is no single solution for mobile.

That said, I honestly do see the issue. I carry the mag stripe reader (and a spare BT reader because they're notoriously unreliable) in the center console of my rig. I carry my main BT reader in my pocket. Swipe probably accounts for one of 50 cards I take, so on the off chance that I get a card with no chip (some little shitbox credit union almost always), I just grab the mag reader from my center console. As for your other problem, leave the iphone to teenage girls and soccer moms and get a phone with a headphone jack.
    No, it does both in one device. That's why in the pic I sent you it has 2 slots, one is to swipe and the other is to insert the chip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast