autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Importance and Value of Weekly Maintenance Customers

I will be reaching out to you shortly!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Steve View Post
    The first couple of months I had it, I was using a garden hose attached to a Y fitting at my spiggot which was just a pain to have to constantly connect and disconnect and coil up the hoses, etc. I knew I had a day off coming up that I had purposely scheduled to do a bunch of shop maintenance and some much needed deep cleaning, so I measured and sketched out what I would need to run a line from the supply line going to the water heater which was also in the garage then priced everything out and it ended up costing so little using PVC. The biggest expense of the whole thing which included the threaded disconnect, a shutoff valve and all the fittings and lengths of pvc, was the SharkBite coupler that attaches to copper on one end and pvc on the other. It was $14.00! But, I had to have it.
    So nice having the dedicated supply line! And yes, it's on the same level of game changer as the DA was to the industry! It also greatly reduces the stress associated with trying to get the car dried before the water evaporates and leaves the dreaded water spots. No, seriously, for those of you who have not been to AZ in the summer, it's hot. We all know that. But along with the heat is the super low humidity, like 7-15% on the hottest days which adds to the speed at which the water evaporates leaving the detailer frantically trying to dry the car in a race against the elements. It's a serious issue due to how ridiculously hard the water is here. Like I said in a reply above, the water here averages between 750-800 PPM on any given day so you not only get water spots, you get thick, mineralized spots that are difficult, at best, to remove even if they've only been there for a few mins.
    Congrats on the new install.
    Here's a cool tip for you:
    Put a gal or so of DI water in a clean bucket and grab a glass MF towel. Next time you're doing the final wipe down, dip the glass towel in the bucket and wring it out thoroughly then hit all the glass one last time. They will literally be sparkling when you deliver the vehicle to the customer.
    Sorry to ask but do you have pictures of tapping into the water heater for the dedicated line? That sounds like it would make my life easier with this setup!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    Coach Steve, ballpark what are you paying per gallon for water from Puretec? Our water is around 400ppm average and I use about 200 gallons per week. That costs me about $25 but it's the convenience factor I'm looking for more than savings. The one place that's close to my house doesn't self vend and the place that does is a much longer round trip and really out of the way. Plus, we're in a mini feud with those guys so I haven't used them in months.
    It works out to about $.15 per gal based on my TDS content.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duy View Post
    Sorry to ask but do you have pictures of tapping into the water heater for the dedicated line? That sounds like it would make my life easier with this setup!
    I'll take a couple of pics later today and post them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Steve View Post
    It works out to about $.15 per gal based on my TDS content.
    I'm calling them Monday. I'd probably pay .25/gal not to have to buy it somewhere else.

Post Thanks / Like

Here ya go.
    The parts used are a 3/4" Tee Sharkbite, a 3/4" Sharkbite Copper to Threaded PVC Coupler (the part in the square) and a 3/4" Threaded to Slip Adapter.
    Be sure to run 3/4" line all the way to the tank otherwise you'll reduce the flow significantly. Also be sure to install a shutoff valve somewhere close to where it attaches to the tank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Importance and Value of Weekly Maintenance Customers-connection-jpg  

7. Thanks Duy thanked for this post
    Likes Wknd Dtlr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Called Purtec. Waiting on the proposal now to establish service. I plan on going with the smaller tank since I reserve my weekends to work on cars. Unless there's an advantage of going with the larger tank?

Post Thanks / Like

Called Purtec. Waiting on the proposal now to establish service. I plan on going with the smaller tank since I reserve my weekends to work on cars. Unless there's an advantage of going with the larger tank?
    Bigger tank = more water created between replacement tanks and a bit lower overall cost per gallon. Other than that, not much.
    If you tell them you aren't a mobil detailer and that you own your home and the tank will never be moved, they will wave the deposit. can't remember what it is for the smaller tank but for the tank Paul, Wills and I use, they wanted a $250 deposit.

10. Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the exact same thought as you but let me tell you why you should consider the larger tank ( 14' vs 10' ).
    1. larger tank has roughly 2.5x resin of the 10" tank
    2. larger tank is only $25 more so resin unit cost is much less
    3. you're paying the same monthly rental for either one.
    4. larger tank will last longer, which means less hassle and the extra fuel surcharge associated with each delivery.

When I got the tank I was a little shocked that is was larger than I thought but I have it settled in a certain section of my garage and it's fine now. Plus, with this size tank I don't have to worry about being frugal with my DI water usage.

Post Thanks / Like

+3 on the bigger tank. I had the small one and the exchange was killing me. Remember they build a delivery fee into the pickup and drop off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast