autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flatbed Pricing?

Hey all.

I just received a request for a detail on a flat bed tow truck. Having never even thought of this kind of work, I really hadn't thought about how to price it. I was thinking hourly rate plus travel time and fuel (it is outside my normal travel range). They are looking for full interior/exterior including the bed and rails. Awaiting photos to see whether or not I actually want to take the job. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flatbed Pricing?

Hourly probably minus whatever learning curve is involved because it's really not fair to charge somebody your hourly rate and then go there without a firm plan of attack because you've never done a job like that before.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point. Will absolutely take that into account. Pretty much the reason I need to see it first. The main variable for me is going to be what kind of shape the deck is in as well as any leaks or grease on the frame. Hopefully will be hearing back from them shortly.

Post Thanks / Like

having done a whole 1 tow truck I can tell you it's going to be a greasy job,,at least from the cab back,,every kind of automotive fluid you can think of has ran onto (and through)that deck.
    I would go look at it walk around it and look it over top to bottom and under the bed.
    If it's something you don't think you want to do hit it high on the estimate,real high if you don't want them to say OK,,lol.
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

I did a Hino 258 last week. These things are massive!

Facebook

Took me 9 hours to do an exterior wash, polishing of the cabin, polishing of the side of the flatbed, basic interior detail (no shampoo). And the result was not to my liking but the the client needed to leave so I had to cut it short. Could have spent an other 2 hours to bring it to the level I try to achive during details. I did not do anything to the side of the vinyl walls other than spraying them with foam and using a brush to wash them. As for the platform, I washed the splash guards thoroughly and did a detaill clean of both control panels for the platform but did not do anything to the platform itself nor the back of the truck.

So what ever you decide to do, think it will most likelly take you at least 12 hours to clean everything if you need to work on the platform. Unless you a not doing any polishing. Also, you will need step ladders and platforms and the like. These things are crazy high. I was unable to reach the roof and the top of the windshield using my platefom or stepping on the front tire and I am almost 6 feet tall. You will definatelly want some kind of brush on a pole for those areas.

Make sure you have enough product also. I ran out of degreaser during the detail (I had a full 32 ounce bottle when I started).

Post Thanks / Like

So glad you guys chimed in. The first thing that went through my head as far as what to bring was "ladders". What I wound up doing this morning was laying down a basic list as far as what I would normally do for an interior / exterior as a guide for the cab. Once I had that laid out I had to think about how to approach the deck and rails and what exactly I could do based on her photos. I gave her a list of exactly what I would be doing so there is zero room for confusion and if she wanted to add anything to what I sent, it would be discussed before I started the job. I also made sure to find out what her expectations were as the deck is kinda beat up as well as the rear step being completely mauled from likely backing into loading docks and the like. Her response was literally " one of my drivers made a mess of the cab and I just want a shiny truck".

Post Thanks / Like

Taking everything into account, I gave the customer a price and they promptly stopped answering my messages. My price was extremely reasonable and literally listed everything that would be done. Customer was hot and heavy to get it done by this weekend and I happened to have a cancellation on Sunday so I was going to get them in. Oh well....would have been an interesting project.

Post Thanks / Like

Not surprised People think it's gonna cost 30$, when you give a price covering the effort needed to get these things clean they fall backwards LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Not surprised People think it's gonna cost 30$, when you give a price covering the effort needed to get these things clean they fall backwards LOL
    Yeah, I was also thinking I may have just dodged a bullet. If my price was too high for them and they had gone for it I'm pretty sure they would have been standing over my shoulder the entire time.

Post Thanks / Like

Considering this a blessing in disguise. I wouldn’t touch anything out of my comfort zone (size wise), unless I was making top dollar.

If you don’t mind what price did you quote?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast