autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My journey in starting a detailing business

Quote Originally Posted by HateSwirls View Post
    Great story

Thanks for sharing it.

Similar here..

I've been detailing for 30 years both part time and full time.

Going back 6 years..

I was the Dir. Of Engineering for a large company but detailed every single weekend so no days off but for me it was theripy detailing after such a mind blowing week.

Then one day (6 years ago) we were bought out and out the door I went.

It was a blessing really because now I run one of the largest shops here in Louisiana.

Beautiful large shop
    Staff of 4

I had offers to do what I did but told myself detailing is what I love.

Take Care

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    That is a great story Kevin. You are doing what you love and loving what you do. You are still director of engineering along with marketing manager, shop foreman, purchasing manager, estimator............

2. Thanks HateSwirls thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    That is a great story Kevin. You are doing what you love and loving what you do. You are still director of engineering along with marketing manager, shop foreman, purchasing manager, estimator............
    Thanks Davy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this and thought I would add my .02.

I've always been a car guy. Started "detailing" my own cars. It became therapy after helping out with my share of the Global War on Terrorism. In 2014 I decided to call it quits and finally retire after 21+ years in the Army. My heart just wasn't in it anymore. I had about a year before I finally retired in preparation. I worked about 2 days per month so the rest of the time was mine to take car of me and relearn how to civilian. I happened to live in Europe at the time and military service members have to ensure their vehicle passes the US Customs inspection for import back into the US. I spent most of my time providing detailing packages that went along those lines. In over a year I never had one customer that failed a U.S. Customs inspection. They even check for foreign particles on the frame rails in the engine bay. One stray animal hair will get you another appointment. Word spread fast because I did a good job and folks could pay in dollars instead of Euros. I did so well that I had the local "detail" shop off base file multiple complaints about me because they were losing so much business, I did this part time.

When I finally retired and moved back to the US in 2015 I went back and forth on how to move forward with detailing business aspirations. I finally bit the bullet and started making things happen like forming my LLC, buying some good tools and products, and detailing cars for friends and relatives. I had a few full time jobs along the way that stalled me out a bit on this journey but now I have enough spare time to devote to this thing. I'm still moving slow and networking with folks all over. I should have my first actual customer for New Finish next monday. I'm doing a wheel detail and ceramic coating on the new wheels he just got for his 2019 F-250 King Ranch. Sometimes you just have to know where your talents lie and where to put your efforts. Cheers.
    https://www.facebook.com/newfinishPDLLC/
    Steve Infante, New Finish Columbia 803-553-1782
    Columbia, SC / IG:@newfinishcolumbia

5. Likes UncleDavy, Breese147, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stevedotmil View Post
    I saw this and thought I would add my .02.

I've always been a car guy. Started "detailing" my own cars. It became therapy after helping out with my share of the Global War on Terrorism. In 2014 I decided to call it quits and finally retire after 21+ years in the Army. My heart just wasn't in it anymore. I had about a year before I finally retired in preparation. I worked about 2 days per month so the rest of the time was mine to take car of me and relearn how to civilian. I happened to live in Europe at the time and military service members have to ensure their vehicle passes the US Customs inspection for import back into the US. I spent most of my time providing detailing packages that went along those lines. In over a year I never had one customer that failed a U.S. Customs inspection. They even check for foreign particles on the frame rails in the engine bay. One stray animal hair will get you another appointment. Word spread fast because I did a good job and folks could pay in dollars instead of Euros. I did so well that I had the local "detail" shop off base file multiple complaints about me because they were losing so much business, I did this part time.

When I finally retired and moved back to the US in 2015 I went back and forth on how to move forward with detailing business aspirations. I finally bit the bullet and started making things happen like forming my LLC, buying some good tools and products, and detailing cars for friends and relatives. I had a few full time jobs along the way that stalled me out a bit on this journey but now I have enough spare time to devote to this thing. I'm still moving slow and networking with folks all over. I should have my first actual customer for New Finish next monday. I'm doing a wheel detail and ceramic coating on the new wheels he just got for his 2019 F-250 King Ranch. Sometimes you just have to know where your talents lie and where to put your efforts. Cheers.
    That’s awesome Steve! I currently am in Germany and have been going crazy not being able to detail my own car. I think now they have certain regulations where you can only wash your cars in certain areas. For now I left my truck back in the states because I’m selling it but hopefully soon I’ll pick up a beater car here and be able to at least detail it in the sense of cleaning/protecting.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Breese147 View Post
    That’s awesome Steve! I currently am in Germany and have been going crazy not being able to detail my own car. I think now they have certain regulations where you can only wash your cars in certain areas. For now I left my truck back in the states because I’m selling it but hopefully soon I’ll pick up a beater car here and be able to at least detail it in the sense of cleaning/protecting.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    BlackFire waterless wash concentrate is your friend. p21S wheel gel (pink) €18 usually. Plenty of MF towels and you’re straight. Send me a DM if you have Europe travel tips. We went everywhere. Prost!!
    https://www.facebook.com/newfinishPDLLC/
    Steve Infante, New Finish Columbia 803-553-1782
    Columbia, SC / IG:@newfinishcolumbia

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoyed reading your story and "watching" you grow your skills and tools. One thing I've got to ask though is this....
    What the Hell kind of electric pressure did you buy for $1200 and what made you feel like an investment that large was necessary at that point in your journey? It clearly represented the single largest investment you made up to that point by far and having such limited income, I'm just curious and somewhat stunned that you spent that much money for something that you could have settled on for much less.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Steve View Post
    Enjoyed reading your story and "watching" you grow your skills and tools. One thing I've got to ask though is this....
    What the Hell kind of electric pressure did you buy for $1200 and what made you feel like an investment that large was necessary at that point in your journey? It clearly represented the single largest investment you made up to that point by far and having such limited income, I'm just curious and somewhat stunned that you spent that much money for something that you could have settled on for much less.
    I’m glad you enjoyed it. Thank you.
    It is a MTM electric pressure washer. I know it sounds crazy for that kind of investment that early. But I bought a Simpson gas pressure washer that I thought would be good. But the pump died after 6 months. Their customer service and warranty are a joke. Plus I went through a few electric pressure washers in the $200 range. So I started doing research on industrial electric pressure washers. I knew it would be something I would only have to buy once. I’ve not had a problem out of it so far. As long as you keep the pump oil changed, they are good to go. I also took it off the cart and mounted it on the wall with a reel. It has saved me a ton of time that way. Just flip a switch and it’s ready to go.

10. Likes SWETM, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a used Ridgid pressure washer off CL for $250 and that thing's been banging away every day for over a year. I'm trying to find another one.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually looked at Ridgid quite a bit before I decided to go with electric. I won’t buy any other power tools besides Ridgid. They have excellent warranties and customer service.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the old brake light warranty because I got it off craigslist. I don't really care about stuff like that anyway.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234