autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My journey in starting a detailing business

Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

You know, this is quite interesting.

I started out doing my own cars, saw some very positive results as I learned, and improved my products, and decided to pursue detailing as a part time side hustle. Mostly it is with the intent of having something to do when I retire in a few years (remaining part time). The fact is that I won't NEED the cash, and as such, my motivation to succeed for the purpose of a livelihood doesn't exist.

Your story reminds me that if I am to be successful (as I am defining success for me), I need to find my motivation elsewhere. I think I have it, but I do need to remain vigilant to assure I don't become complacent. Thanks for sharing. It is helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice story. Your focus is admirable and your work ethic is off the charts. The most interesting part is how you used the burner cars headed for auction to hone and improve your methods and processes. Good work!!!

Newbie Member StartAutoDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    Very nice story. Your focus is admirable and your work ethic is off the charts. The most interesting part is how you used the burner cars headed for auction to hone and improve your methods and processes. Good work!!!
    I agree, I think that is a fantastic idea to learn and train yourself on how to detail properly. Would love to see some pictures of the cars OP burned through!

Start your Auto Detailing Business Today!
    https://www.startautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

I’m glad you guys enjoyed my story.

mk9750 if you think it’s something you will enjoy doing everyday. Go for it. Even though you won’t be doing it for the money. It will be something to keep you going crazy after retirement. Plus you won’t have the stress that comes with it full time.

I always felt the “burner cars” gave me a huge advantage in my paint work skills. I know everyone doesn’t have access to something like that. I do always recommend a practice hood to people starting out. One dude I use to help. He used the practice hood idea. But he would repaint it with different brands to get a better feel for working on harder and softer paint. He ended up dropping the detailing side and is the best painter I know
    now.

I’ll see if I can find some pictures from the old days.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome post. Great read.

Thanks for sharing that, bud!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

V.A., that is a great testament to the American entrepreneurial spirit and an inspiring story. You forced yourself to do something that many of us do not have the stomach for; start a business. I was in a situation 3 years ago where after 32 years of non-stop working, I lost my job and it was the first time in my life. I seriously considered starting a detailing business but did not have the confidence to work on other people's cars. Fortunately for me, I am in an industry where they value old guys with experience (I'm 55) and I was able to land a great job. However the professional detailing bug still haunts me. Now that I have had time to work on my technique, talk to fellow forum members and purchase higher quality products, I feel that I can work on stranger's cars with more confidence. I may start with some of my wife's co-workers. They admire the sparkle and condition of her car and I already have some potential clients. Detailing is probably something that I will carry into retirement. My passion for shiny cars started when I was a teenager in the 70s. I don't think it will ever go away.
    I wish you all the best. We would love to see your website and some pictures of final projects.

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been retired, but my wife still has 8 more years of work, plus we still have teenagers at home for probably 5 years. I started this business for my son and it turned into full time work for both of us. I'm definitely considering doing it on my own once he flies the coop. I should be able to get at least 5 years on my own before we are both fully retired.

10. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here’s one from today. It’s been crazy busy this week and really haven’t time to get online.
    I do everything from a Facebook page. No website. Facebook seems to better for me. Plus I live in a small town and word of mouth helps a lot.
    I think for you guys that are retired. This would be a perfect business to get into. You can go as fast or as slow as you want to go. Plus you can control your own pace. Sometimes it feels like you’re drowning when you get too many vehicles coming in. So you guys can set it at a steady pace where you can work comfortably.My journey in starting a detailing business-9bd81135-14d1-4404-a767-77b71e67e8fa-jpg
    My journey in starting a detailing business-44b3c3ac-f97e-4a13-98a0-347c8a30d8d4-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Suds I love the fact that you have your son working with you. That’ll be a good bonding experience that he will always remember. Plus it will instill a good work ethic in him. I think you would be alright on your own for that long. If not you could always try to find someone part time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast