autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: How much do you charge for a one-step exterior detail?

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post

Yeah, you probably should have asked for more specifics because I think some people have a different idea of a one step judging by the pricing listed.

I get you but I did say one-step cleaner/wax, here's me quoting me

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

How much do you charge for a one-step exterior detail?

Just curious as to what everyone else charges for an exterior detail using a one-step cleaner/wax or AIO for you guys that don't like to type out the words one-step cleaner/wax.

So for anyone that might not know... (that's okay if you're new), a one-step cleaner wax also called an AIO is a product that will do 3 things in ONE STEP

1. Clean or correct
    2. Polish
    3. Seal the paint - usually with some form of wax or some form of synthetic polymers or combination of wax and synthetic polymers.

There are compounds that are called or considered one-step products because they will cut like a compound but finish out like a polish BUT they DON'T leave behind any water insoluble protection ingredients THUS you must follow them with at least one more step to seal the paint. This makes a one-step compound process 2 steps and that's not what I'm asking.

The question is,

What are you charging for ONE STEP.

Step means the thing or things you do to the paint AFTER the normal washing, drying and mechanical decontamination. Anyone that's ever attended any of my classes here, on the road or at Mobile Tech Expo has seen my Power Point Presentation slides that explain all this as we cover MULTIPLE STEP OR SHOW CAR DETAILING AND ONE-STEP OR PRODUCTION DETAILING.

Here's a pitch for my classes not only are they intensely HANDS-ON but you also get a TON of HEAD KNOWLEDGE. Keep that in mind and if one of our roadshow classes is in driving range of your hometown - sign-up.

Post Thanks / Like

My response is for an all in one product.

I did neglect to mention that I would expect that process to take 4 hours, with the hope that with some experience, I can cut it to 3 - 3 1/2 hours.

I've done three cars that had that level of service so far, plus an interior, and took me 5 - 6 hours each. The 6 hour one was trying to tackle salt stains in the carpet without the proper tools or chemicals.

(salt is the stuff they use on the roads up north. Down in Florida, you might not be familiar - lol)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    cars 300-350$ , suv $350-400 , trucks $400-$450 , overall +/- 50$ from this quotes , includes final polish and sealant
    With all due respect, if I was the customer and came to pick up my car and found out this is what I had to pay I’d be more upset than anything.How much do you charge for a one-step exterior detail?

I didn’t ask for a 3 step, I came for a 1 step. As described below...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    How much do you charge for a one-step exterior detail?

Just curious as to what everyone else charges for an exterior detail using a one-step cleaner/wax or AIO for you guys that don't like to type out one-step cleaner/wax.

This would include at a minimum,

1. Wash - however you prefer to do it
    2. Clay - however you prefer to do it. (actual "clay" or Nanoskin type product)
    3. Machine apply one-step cleaner/wax.
    4. Buff glass (while buffing with the one-step cleaner/wax
    5. Dress tires
    6. Stick a fork in it and call it done

Let's here some numbers...

An AIO, followed by a finishing polish, followed by a sealant, when my protection was supposed to be the AIO? I didn’t ask for all that nor was I interested in having to pay for it. I wouldn’t be happy at all.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post

My response is for an all in one product.
    I think most everyone's comments were for "AIOs" or "Cleaner/Waxes" --> same exact thing.

I did neglect to mention that I would expect that process to take 4 hours, with the hope that with some experience, I can cut it to 3 - 3 1/2 hours.
    Anyone doing it that fast is really doing it fast. I'm at the 5-6 hour range.

I've done three cars that had that level of service so far, plus an interior, and took me 5 - 6 hours each.

The 6 hour one was trying to tackle salt stains in the carpet without the proper tools or chemicals.
    Interiors would make the job an full detail, that is inside and out. Nothing wrong with this as long as you're charging correctly and making a profit and most important... you're happy at the end of the day.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

With all due respect, if I was the customer and came to pick up my car and found out this is what I had to pay I’d be more upset than anything.How much do you charge for a one-step exterior detail?

I didn’t ask for a 3 step, I came for a 1 step. As described below...

An AIO, followed by a finishing polish, followed by a sealant, when my protection was supposed to be the AIO?

I didn’t ask for all that nor was I interested in having to pay for it. I wouldn’t be happy at all.

Maybe Cosmin mis-understood?

He's a very qualified detailer so I'm going to cut him some slack on his answer. I'm confident he knows the difference between a one-step process and a multiple step process.

Could be he doesn't even do one-steps as from what I've seen over the years he mostly does exotics.

Post Thanks / Like

Cars up to mid-size sedan - $150
    Full-size sedans to small SUV - $175-$200
    SUV, vans to full-size truck -$250-$300.

Includes wash, clay mitt decon, tire dressing and light vacuum of interior and glass cleaning. Average about 4-6 hours.

This is just a side business for additional income(building it to see where it goes) with the added benefit of I simply enjoy doing it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

for my AIO exterior
    $150 to $250....

Post Thanks / Like

Cars $150-$175
    SUVs/Trucks $175-$200

Typical time is about 4 hours.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for replying with "real" answers guys.

Paul - You're a really good detailer, seems like your customers are getting a GREAT deal. Do you get a lot of referrals and repeat business?

rcoops77 - Is there a currency exchange difference between the U.S. and Australia? I could check but I have a lot on my plate today.

Mike- In USD about $225-$350

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Cosmin mis-understood?

He's a very qualified detailer so I'm going to cut him some slack on his answer. I'm confident he knows the difference between a one-step process and a multiple step process.

Could be he doesn't even do one-steps as from what I've seen over the years he mostly does exotics.

Well I can agree with him in regards to wanting to do a better job than simply just an AIO, I guess I was just being nitpicky about the replies to your question which asked about simply charging for a quik AIO job.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast