autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much do you charge for a one-step exterior detail?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

How many hours do you average for your one-step package?
    if by myself between 2 -4 hours , if with help (1 or 2 guys) between 1-2hours , if i let the crew do it , around 2-4 hours.

** depends how much is to be taped , size of vehicle , how soiled , color....
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    if by myself between 2 -4 hours , if with help (1 or 2 guys) between 1-2hours , if i let the crew do it , around 2-4 hours.

** depends how much is to be taped , size of vehicle , how soiled , color....
    Wow, that's really fast.

3. Thanks JWallace thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 215Detailing View Post

Hope this helps

In both of the pictures of the packages you offer you are doing a 2-step process.

Polish
    Wax

A one-step process is where you use a one-step cleaner/wax which will clean, polish and wax in one step. Don't make no difference to me and thank you for sharing but just want to point this out for others so there's no confusion.

5. Likes dlc95, 215Detailing liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

if by myself between 2 -4 hours

That's super fast but it can be done as long as you're working fast.

I'm fast when I detail. Here's the deal though, even if you're using a one-step cleaner/wax or AIO for you guys that don't like to type or don't know the difference, (there is no difference), when buffing out a car using a one-step cleaner/wax you buff the paint in the SAME WAY you would buff the paint if using a compound or a polish.

That is you use the product heavy or wet, or in other words, you use the AMPLE amount of product to get the job done. Assuming you're working on a neglected car, (thus the reason for a cleaner/wax not a finishing wax), you need a certain amount of liquid on the surface. This liquid, the cleaner/wax contains abrasives, cleaners, solvents (solvents can be water), and some form of protection, plus whatever ingredients are needed to simply keep everything in a uniform emulsion plus color and scent.

To work a section of a panel you would not only use the ample amount of product but you would still need to make some number of section passes. The weaker the tool the smaller the size of section you would work, the more powerful the tools the larger the section size you could work.

Taking all of the above into consideration, to adequately machine apply a one-step cleaner/wax to a neglected vehicle working section by section and making for arguments sake, at least 4 section passes per section, to buff out an average size car it would take me a minimum of 2 hours.

This doesn't include the waterless wash and claying the paint. And in most cases you want to clean and/or clean and dress the tires and also clean the outside of the glass.

A lot of factors involved, like the condition of the paint and even how dirty the vehicle is before you start.

Thanks for chiming in Cosmin.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a pro, but my process for my own cars is similar to the one Mike describes. Neighbors asked how much to do their cars. I thought $200 would turn them off, but two of them went for it. Crap. Well, I view it as good exercise. BMW 3-series and Kia Forte.

Wash, including jambs, wheels, tires and wheel wells.
    Clay, using mitt.
    Iron-X wheels (I know, not worth the $, but I don't want to clay them and it brightens them up a bit).
    Dress trim, wheels, wheel wells.
    HD Speed using Flex 3401.

5 hours, $200. Could probably get it down to 4 hours, but I like fussing with the car the last hour. Two customers, $400/year income, and I probably own $2,000 worth of equipment and supplies. Don't follow my business model.

8. Likes minerigger, JWallace, HockeyCrazi, PSYS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget the cost of doing the detail.

For me, that usually means 1 or 2 pads that will need to be replaced, about 4 ounces of product, cost of washing, and a little quick detailer spray or spray wax to finish the car along with some tire dressing.

On a job like that, I would estimate my product cost at around 25 US$. That is without a chemical decontamination using an iron remover. If you add that, it goes up an other 10$ to 20$ depending how much you use.

Post Thanks / Like

How to use a one-step cleaner/wax to maximize profits

Then if you go to post #56 - I posted what I charged in a reply to a guy that said what I did wasn't worth it. AT the time I replied to him he went by FivePoint.0

Post#56

And if you look at the date of the first post, (when I did the work), it was 2012 - 6 years ago.

That's the thread I was talking about.

Saw your post #56, and have to agree with you. Personally, I do see a place for one steps, cleaner waxes, AIOs, etc....Heck, even filler glazes have a spot.

Also read your post #60, where you said

In fact, in the first post of this thread I point out that too often people new to detailing get all caught up in doing a multiple step process, which takes a lot more time, to a mundane daily driver.
    They make very little profit and it's the wrong service for this type of customer.
    that is exactly what happened to me. Granted, one of the first cars I did was in real bad shape. Compound, polish, then waxed. Outstanding results. In a follow up session about 2 years later, I used an AIO to achieve good results for a daily driver and a customer who was more about clean and shiny. Slightly less money, and WAY way less time /energy.

Match the service with the customer

Post Thanks / Like

Just looked at the competition on my area.

Most of them are charging anywhere from $50.00 - $75.00 for a cleaner wax at about three hours..

Polish + Wax is about $125.00

Compound adds $70.00 + depending on the size of the vehicle.

I'm over what they are charging, but perhaps not far enough....?

Post Thanks / Like

ok so, first off i DO NOT WASH, theres a lot of reasons behind this if you want to know i can tell you but i dont wash, so i ask the cars be washed within 3 days of me showing up to the job site. before i start i DO do a panel wipe down ( whats the differance right)

i use my GG6, 5 or 6 inch vented plate
    normally a orange LC flat pad
    speed 4-4.5
    3-4 passes
    now this is were i differ a bit, since im going to wipe off anyways even if it was an AIO, i wipe off with PNS, so i spray my towel with PNS and then wipe off my polish.

i average 2-2.5 hrs for a sedan. and start prices at $200

to date ive only had 1... yes 1 person be bothered by the washing thing

13. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    ok so, first off i DO NOT WASH, theres a lot of reasons behind this if you want to know i can tell you but i dont wash, so i ask the cars be washed within 3 days of me showing up to the job site. before i start i DO do a panel wipe down ( whats the differance right)

i use my GG6, 5 or 6 inch vented plate
    normally a orange LC flat pad
    speed 4-4.5
    3-4 passes
    now this is were i differ a bit, since im going to wipe off anyways even if it was an AIO, i wipe off with PNS, so i spray my towel with PNS and then wipe off my polish.

i average 2-2.5 hrs for a sedan. and start prices at $200

to date ive only had 1... yes 1 person be bothered by the washing thing
    But don’t your business cards say “Cruz’s Car Wash”? What’s the dealio?How much do you charge for a one-step exterior detail?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast