autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Water and Generator

Hey everyone, first post here!

Basically I知 getting ready to launch my mobile detailing business in the near future. I知 trying to decide if I知 going to need to get a water tank and generator.

In order to stir up business I plan to head out to some of the nicer businesses and neighborhoods and I知 afraid that I may be limited if I don稚 have my own power and water (mainly on the business end of clients). I will be using a 5x8 enlosed trailer.

So so my question is, do you think It will be beneficial to purchase these things to get started? In case it makes any difference I am using an electric pressure washer.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water and Generator

I do several details at businesses and need to provide my own utilities. Clients are surprised and happy to hear that I have this capability. I use a 35g tank in my van along with a Ryobi 1.2gmp / 1600 psi washer and I can do 4 cars on 35g of water if needed. Also a Honda EU200i generator that i set under the van, you can hardly hear it! I think it will open more doors for you...go for it! ONR or watwe / rinseless washes are also a big selling point for folks who have water runoff concerns, so don't forget to present this as an option as well.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse Mike View Post
    I do several details at businesses and need to provide my own utilities. Clients are surprised and happy to hear that I have this capability. I use a 35g tank in my van along with a Ryobi 1.2gmp / 1600 psi washer and I can do 4 cars on 35g of water if needed. Also a Honda EU200i generator that i set under the van, you can hardly hear it! I think it will open more doors for you...go for it! ONR or watwe / rinseless washes are also a big selling point for folks who have water runoff concerns, so don't forget to present this as an option as well.

Mike
    Gravity is all you need to feed water to the pressure washer? I am trying that but my Karcher isn’t getting water fast enough

Post Thanks / Like

There's many threads on the subject, but gravity is a very unreliable way for a PRO to feed water to his pressure washer especially when you can purchase an on demand 12v Shurflo pump from Amazon for ~$60. And, again, as a PRO, you're expected to show up with your own water and power ready to work. We use customer's power when it's available and they offer, but if for example, their garage is a mess and there's no power outside the house and we're super far away from an outlet, showing up with your own power is a must. We've never shown up to a business and used their power. Mostly because as a business, we don't want to be traipsing around inside their business plugging in extension cords. You want to be a PRO, show up and look and act like a PRO. If you show up needing water and power, you're a guy washing cars on the side.

5. Likes PaulMys, UncleDavy, 215Detailing liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great info guys! I guess if I’m going to do it I might as well do it right. Like suds said, I want to be taken seriously and as a pro. Not just the guy looking to make $20 for his next hit lol.

Newbie Member StartAutoDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that you want to be a professional and over time you will get to the point where you can reasonably afford a water tank and generator. I don't like the idea of going into debt starting out a detailing business. Stick with waterless washing until you save enough to get these, you will still be able to provide great results and meet customer needs using a professional waterless wash system.

Once you have enough you can go with a water tank or generator but you may end up sticking with 100% waterless washing, there are a lot of very successful detailing businesses that do just this. Do a search on google for waterless detailing near me and you should see plenty of businesses. You can probably reach out to them and ask what their thoughts have been, if you don't want to reach out to your specific competition use another city somewhere else and still reach out.

You are probably most familiar with regular water washing instead of waterless which is what most of us are starting out, be sure to learn the proper way of doing this before you go out and start on other peoples cars.

Start your Auto Detailing Business Today!
    https://www.startautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but I'm going to chime in here. I purchased a generator directly from the manufacturer for $280 delivered. I purchased a 100 gallon water tank for $200 from a place in Santa Ana, picked it up myself to make sure it fit. A pump was $60. If you can't come out of pocket a minimum of $1000 to start a business in which you intend to make a living, you probably shouldn't be starting a business. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I will tell you from personal experience, the number one killer of small businesses is being under capitalized. You've got to spend money to make money as they say.

9. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Since posting this I have purchased a generator and a water tank. I am happy with my setup and it was inexpensive and definitely worth it In my opinion.

I致e found that having everything already hooked up in the trailer saves me lots of time as I don稚 need to set up when I arrive to a location. As we all know, time is money!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

11. Likes sudsmobile, SWETM, 215Detailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good for you man. You're certainly right about that. My vacuum is mounted in my trailer, as well as my generator. When I get where I'm going, I pull the canopy out, set it up or not, drag the 50' vacuum hose to the car, if they have power run a 100' extension cord from my trailer to their plug and I'm in business. After I finish the interior, tires and wheels, I pull the pressure washer out, set up the hoses and get ready to soap. I've become an expert at the quick set up/tear down especially when I'm alone.

13. Likes 215Detailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

my KARCHER and 35 gallon tank YouTube

15. Likes Fuxton, Diner liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast