autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you view your competition as colleagues?

Hey everyone!

For those who detail for money, how’s business been?

I recently moved to York, ME only a few months ago and business has been going great.

I just wanted to share you a recent experience of mine and hope to pass this to guys new to the business.

In the past I took time to introduce myself to a few detailers back in NH where I was living and have managed to keep in touch with them.

Recently, I did the same thing to guys detailing in Maine.

Business last year went great. Now even though I am detailing in a new state (again) business is going better than last year so far.

What ended up happening was I called up all my competition and introduced myself to as many of them. We get into conversation topics such as products, products, and pricing.

You see, not only it’s important my own client’s know why I am above average in pricing, but for my competition to know that as well. It helps the ones who do great work understand the fact that we share the same value—and it also makes it easier for them to refer other potential clients to me. I have also made it a serious practice to refer business when I can...good jobs too!

The result so far?

I am expanding my territory as a mobile detailer and booking up faster than last year.

My honest-friendly competition don’t forget these things and they return the favor. As a matter of fact, a member on this forum once told me over the phone that a failing business is mainly because of obscurity. And this also applies here. More than half the guys around me didn’t even know I existed until I said “Hi!”.

Thanks for reading. I didn’t want to state what some already do. But for those who never gave this though as a new business—there you go!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you view your competition as colleagues?

I've never gone that far, it would take some time in our crowded market, but I do try to be friendly and at least introduce myself when I run across them at the local detailing shop or in a parking lot. I have gone as far as to get one guy's card to refer business to him if possible. He had a very well setup rig and is a member of the Air Force One detailing crew, so I would not hesitate to recommend him as I know he would make a good impression to any customer I sent him to.

Agreed about the obscurity part. People have to know you're out there. Besides several avenues of advertising, I drive my Tahoe and trailer to most places even if I don't have a job, just to make sure our brand is always out there in the local area.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dan, great question mate.

Business is busy & really busy, which is great but also my plan of sorting the business out a bit better once I had returned from Detail Fest hasn't really happened.

Back to your question - because I live in such a small town in a small country my local competition are not what we would describe as proper detailers so really in terms of work we produce we are pretty isolated in that regard. The general public may not know the difference though so they're still competition.

As for introductions - sure, we know each other & I have no qualms about 'helping' someone. As for referrals - No. maybe if it was a job that they were capable of yes but in general no. Bad advice/referrals can hurt you in a small town & I learned this the hard way a couple of times & now I simply won't do it unless I am confident of someone's workmanship.

Folks in New Zealand are mostly pretty good & chilled out but there is still the Competition is the Enemy attitude here too at times & people lose up & get all defensive. Not so bad on a National scale though with most of us detailers getting along well & we have that back yard BBQ vibe.

Great question Dan, I'm off out the door to the shop (Monday morning here) but I look forward to what others post up.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Yes to the question, and Dan I’m referring my brother-in-law to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks man!