autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm failing on the phone call.

I'm looking for some advice from the business pros out there, that might help what seems to be my biggest issue...

I'm completely failing my phone calls.

My business is a weekend side business. I do quality work at a decent pace, but I'm not the cheapest option around. I will turn down barf in the back seat of minivan because that's not the kind of work I want to do. I do have simple 4-hour interior/exterior packages all the way up to show car corrections and finishes. That's what my target is, and that's the work that I prefer doing. I've had good business so far this spring, but I'm finding that I'm having some trouble closing the deal lately. I probably book 2 out of 10 phone calls I receive.

I'm struggling at the first point of contact—the phone call. I pick up every call I get, to be greeted with some form of, "how much for a detail?" I'm already irritated because I know they spent no time looking at my simple website which explains everything and lists out package and a la carte pricing for everything I do.

I can't tell sometimes when people are just price shopping, so that's an issue. I don't want or need those customers. But to me it's like walking into a BMW dealer and asking, "how much for a car?" I know people are lazy, don't have time or whatever, but I have a terribly difficult time answering this question, especially when it's obvious that the person on the other end of the phone has no idea of what a detail entails.

Where do you start when this question is asked?

My biggest problem is that I try to explain what I do, what the process is, how much time things take, and I get too wrapped up in the minutiae. I'm sure the customer's eyes roll back into their head as they tune out, waiting to hear only HOW MUCH, because the last guy told him he could do it all for $100. And then when I tell them that I need to see the car in person to give them a more accurate estimate, I tend to lose them completely.

So, how much for a detail?
    Purple Towel Auto Detailing
    PurpleTowelDetailing.com
    @purpletoweldetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm failing on the phone call.

My first response is "what is the vehicle? (make, model and mileage)". I then state my range of service prices (lowest to highest) saying "depending on the service level you want done" and go from there.

Sometimes they ask follow up questions and sometimes they are done at that point. I'm probably not interested in the latter and that's ok.

3. Thanks PurpleTowel thanked for this post
    Likes PurpleTowel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleTowel View Post
    I'm completely failing my phone calls.

I'm already irritated because I know they spent no time looking at my simple website which explains everything and lists out package and a la carte pricing for everything I do.
    This is your issue on the phone. You charge way too much money to treat potential customers with irritation or contempt when they call. Every phone call is a potential customer, not a chance for you to let them know how stupid they are for not being able to navigate your website. Honestly, with those prices, I would say you're doing pretty good closing 2 out of 10 if that's accurate.

5. Thanks custmsprty thanked for this post
    Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    You charge way too much money to treat potential customers with irritation or contempt when they call. Every phone call is a potential customer, not a chance for you to let them know how stupid they are for not being able to navigate your website. Honestly, with those prices, I would say you're doing pretty good closing 2 out of 10 if that's accurate.
    I don't treat anyone with contempt or irritation, regardless of my immediate reaction. That's a terrible assumption on your part. I don't talk down to anyone, or treat them like they are stupid. I didn't ask for your condescension, either. I treat all of my customers very well, thank you.

My prices are calculated by time x a fair hourly rate, just like yours. I wouldn't cover my expenses or time at your rates. In my area, it's a reasonable number, just as I'm sure yours are. I don't give my work away for free.

Thanks for the advice.
    PurpleTowelDetailing.com
    @purpletoweldetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Then you shouldn't have made it a point to include how irritated you were when they called. I'm sure you treat those phone calls exactly as you just treated me. You asked for advice and don't want to hear it. Got it. Out. Couldn't care less.

Oh, and I cover my expenses and time just fine, but then again, I don't think my time is worth $100/hour. Maybe it is, but it's not what the market will bear.

8. Likes custmsprty, warmachine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't treat anyone with contempt or irritation, regardless of my immediate reaction. That's a terrible assumption on your part. I don't talk down to anyone, or treat them like they are stupid. I didn't ask for your condescension, either. I treat all of my customers very well, thank you.

My prices are calculated by time x a fair hourly rate, just like yours. I wouldn't cover my expenses or time at your rates. In my area, it's a reasonable number, just as I'm sure yours are. I don't give my work away for free.

Thanks for the advice.
    I talk to customers on the phone all day, Monday thru Friday. I have been a 100% commisioned sales person since 1991. Believe me when I tell you this, if you are irritated they pick up on it too. It's like body language but it's phone language. I just started with a new company March 1st. They handed me a $1.5 million territory. A lot of the customers I have not met face to face, when I call them or they call me I always have a smile on my face. It comes across on the phone.

So my advice is work on your phone skills and phone etiquette and keep in mind you only have one chance to make a first impression. Make yourself a script on a 3 x 5 card with your bullet points and practice it until it becomes second nature.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get discouraged by customers who are looking for bargains. Not everybody is an educated consumer who performs all of the research and then asks all of the right questions. You will always have potential customers who will try to find a cheaper solution. It all depends on your business model and what type of business that you are trying to go after. If you are just getting started and desperate for business you may want to try to offer an economy service. Starting with a lower type of service gives you the opportunity to upsell. If you have an established business then you can turn away the lower end customers. Your website is very comprehensive and it presents your services in a very impressive manner. It seems to cater toward the higher end clientele.
    Whatever the case may be, you are not only the owner of the business but you are also the vice president of sales. You always have to treat the customer with respect, you always have to have a pleasant tone and you always have to smile. Bad publicity or multiple negative reviews can destroy a reputation.

11. Likes PurpleTowel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: I'm failing on the phone call.

Actually your prices dont seem to bad at least what I have seen here in Toronto.

My suggestion as other have said, is to be happy on the phone. Yes the customers might annoy you because they dont look at your website but maybe they dont know your website or have not had time to look at it.
    Another suggestion would be to have them come down to your shop/place so you could see the car and even show them another car you have done (ie your own) show them proof, show them trouble areas on their car etc.

good luck!

13. Thanks PurpleTowel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Part of my problem is that I field 90% of my calls during may day job work hours. Usually at the worst times, so I'm not focused in on detailing. I have a crib sheet of prices and options close by, but it's not always easily accessed. I work with clients every day with my 9-5 and have enough experience to know how to deal with and treat people. For some reason, a few people are focusing on my comment that I said I was aggravated that people weren't finding simple answers to their questions on my website. I can assure you, this isn't the issue.

The speedbump for me is that I don't know where to start the conversation when someone asks, "how much for a detail" because there are so many variables, and most people don't know what constitutes a detail. Most of the people that contact me with that question are price shopping, and want to know how much a "wash and wax" costs. Because it's not a one-size-fits-all service, it's tough to know where to begin the answer. That's all.

When someone asks you, "how much for a detail," what is your answer?
    PurpleTowelDetailing.com
    @purpletoweldetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Part of my problem is that I field 90% of my calls during may day job work hours. Usually at the worst times, so I'm not focused in on detailing. I have a crib sheet of prices and options close by, but it's not always easily accessed. I work with clients every day with my 9-5 and have enough experience to know how to deal with and treat people. For some reason, a few people are focusing on my comment that I said I was aggravated that people weren't finding simple answers to their questions on my website. I can assure you, this isn't the issue.

The speedbump for me is that I don't know where to start the conversation when someone asks, "how much for a detail" because there are so many variables, and most people don't know what constitutes a detail. Most of the people that contact me with that question are price shopping, and want to know how much a "wash and wax" costs. Because it's not a one-size-fits-all service, it's tough to know where to begin the answer. That's all.

When someone asks you, "how much for a detail," what is your answer?
    You can start by explaining your basic level 0 detail and all of the features that it includes. If someone is looking for a "wash and wax", then introduce them to your level 1 detail. Always try to upsell. If they do not like the pricing, perhaps you can refer them to some hacks in the area and you can explain why you stand out from your competitors.

16. Thanks PurpleTowel thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast